Homebrew Weird question: Are there any BBS clients for the DS/DSi?

chrisman02

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Recently been playing around with BBS boards and learning about telnet using a couple Linux systems.

I find BBS boards fascinating, how they were small social networks from before the days of the internet. There are still quite a few that are active, and host old games and content for systems that haven't been used in decades. I found one with games I can download and run on my old Ti-99/4a!

This got me thinking, BBS clients require VERY little system resources. It should be possible to emulate a telnet client and connect to one from a DS. Has this been done before? Not finding much information on this VERY niche question.

Running a DSi recently softmodded with TWLight++.

Reactions: Tarmfot

zomgugoff

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Recently been playing around with BBS boards and learning about telnet using a couple Linux systems.

I find BBS boards fascinating, how they were small social networks from before the days of the internet. There are still quite a few that are active, and host old games and content for systems that haven't been used in decades. I found one with games I can download and run on my old Ti-99/4a!

This got me thinking, BBS clients require VERY little system resources. It should be possible to emulate a telnet client and connect to one from a DS. Has this been done before? Not finding much information on this VERY niche question.

Running a DSi recently softmodded with TWLight++.

You're right, it is very niche. I'd enjoy a BBS client as I run a DOS BBS myself. The main issue I see is most people won't be willing to enable and/or maintain a WEP or unencrypted access point to connect their systems to the internet.

zomgugoff

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol