Weird problems all of the sudden, any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Booger Eater, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Booger Eater
    OP

Booger Eater Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2015
    United States
    So I have been running all my stuff off a Slim SeaGate 500GB portable drive for about a month now with no problems. I've logged several hours of gaming and movie watching without so much as a hiccup. Last night I uploaded the ftpii program to play around with it and still everything worked great. But this morning a bunch of programs went belly up. Wiiflow and USB uploader wont even start to the menus, just black screens. For a while WiiMC was doing the same, as was Homebrew Browser. I reinstalled homebrew, and unistalled and reinstalled the programs as well as reinstalled my iOS 56/249 57/250.
    Wiiflow and Homebrew Browser work more or less. Wiiflow will recognize but not read off the hard drive when plugged into the Wii. It will read it if I plug it into a computer and share it. And the usb loaders still wont work. What the hell happened?

2. portugeek

portugeek GBAtemp Fan

Apr 6, 2013
    United States
    If the apps are running from an SD card then most of them should have no problem starting up. It's true that the USB loaders might have problems loading up if the Harddrive is having issues, but even then they should make their way to the main screen with no games.

When the USB loaders are hanging, are they giving you any error messages?

3. JaapDaniels

JaapDaniels GBAtemp Fan

Apr 22, 2012
    Netherlands
    wrong (C)IOS or wrong USB-port been used. using an SD-card for your apps is recomended. USB-loader could be outdated that would make it slow but not that much.

4. Booger Eater
    OP

Booger Eater Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2015
    United States
    No error message, just a black screen. As far as I know the apps themselves are up to date. I know I've got it in the right USB port, it was working 8-10 hours earlier and had not been moved. Even running from the SD card WiiFlow wont work. I thought it was something up with the CiOS as well so I reinstalled it - several times to no avail. I am using rev8 which I know is older but its what worked previously to get games to load (in my initial attempts newer updates wold result in games freezing up). I am working under the assumption that the hard drive is in some way corrupt and am going to reformat it as well as re-mod the wii.

5. portugeek

portugeek GBAtemp Fan

Apr 6, 2013
    United States
    If the Harddrive is formatted as FAT32 then you should just be able to plug it into a PC. If you can see the files and folders on the PC then nothing should be seriously wrong with the drive.

6. JaapDaniels

JaapDaniels GBAtemp Fan

Apr 22, 2012
    Netherlands
    your hdd is it working on pc like normal? rev8 is good enough indeed. if you use WBFS, it coulld be there are too many games on the partitin or just one bad one. fat32 can be just repaired if corrupt by using chkdsk, but wbfs could get corrupted quite easely, and you can only try sending your games to another hdd by wbfs manager (you'll find out the wrong game aswell). are you using the same hdd? since some hdd won't work for a wii-usb is not as strong as a pc usb (so some times you'll need an y-usb cable, or an extra powr supply). NTFS is not working fully in all homebrew.

7. Booger Eater
    OP

Booger Eater Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2015
    United States
    Yeah, the drive is working fine when its plugged into a PC. There was a small issue on one partitions but I fixed it. Still no luck. I have the hard drive partitioned to primary FAT32 for GameCube and the Secondary as NTFS for Wii games. And all of this worked fine for a month and then one morning nothing. If one game file is corrupt would it cause problems for unrelated programs and files? However, I just realized that some of the games I ripped I had forgotten to convert from .wbfs to .iso I'll pull those off and give it a try before I reformat the drive.

8. portugeek

portugeek GBAtemp Fan

Apr 6, 2013
    United States
    Your Wii games can stay as .wbfs files. Loaders will still recognize them. Also, you don't need an NTFS partition to run Wii games. The whole drive can be formatted as FAT32.

I recommend formatting the entire Drive as FAT32 with 32kb sectors/clusters. Then set the drive as both Primary and Active.

I use EaseUS Partition Master. It's a free app that works really well and is very easy to use.

For your Gamecube games you're going to need to make a "Games" folder and you'll want to place it in the root of your drive. The folder structure should look something like... ( drive_letter:/games/Game Name [GAMEID]/game.iso ) **All of your Gamecube iso's should be named "game.iso"

For the Wii games you're going to need to make a "WBFS" folder and also place it in the root of your drive. The folder structure for Wii games will look nearly identical to the Gamecube structure except (unlike with Gamecube ISO's) the Wii game names should be unique to each game... ( drive_letter:/wbfs/Game Name [GAMEID]/GAMEID.wbfs )

9. Booger Eater
    OP

Booger Eater Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2015
    United States
    Ok so I pulled off the .wbfs files from and Wiflow started working again. So that seems to have been the culprit. Thanks a million! I haven't checked everything but I will later. If any other problems are still occurring I'll update. Thanks again.

10. tswntk

tswntk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 6, 2012
    Switzerland
    Why convert a .wbfs to .iso?
    It will never be the same as original iso and just take up space with empty data. Either keep an original iso or stay as .wbfs.
    You just need to put them in proper folder structure and WiiBackupManager will do that for you

11. Booger Eater
    OP

Booger Eater Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2015
    United States
    The file size was roughly the same between the two formats so I saw no issue there. I had started converting them to iso on a recommendation off a thread somewhere or another, when I was initially setting up Wiiflow and things ran much smoother after for some of the games. I had started off downloading copies of my games (most of which were already in iso format) before realizing I could just rip them in Wiiflow at a much faster speed. The ripped ones were in wbfs and one them was messing stuff up. Which may have been from improper folder structure. I really don't know. But I wonder why it would take a month to cause a problem?

Cool. I had just been following a instruction from another site during my intial set up. I saw no reason to question it as it took very little effort in EaseUs to do it that way. But I will try your way.

12. tswntk

tswntk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 6, 2012
    Switzerland
    The size can be a big different depending on the game. for example, Wii sport is just 300MB in and Super Mario All-Stars is a mere 20MB