Gaming Weird problem with Smash Bros Brawl

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've had an original copy of Super Smash Bros Brawl (PAL) since it was released (the limited edition with the sleeve). Since USB loaders came along, I transferred all my games to the HDD and never had to touch the discs since. However, when I put SSBB in the Wii, it says it's unable to read the disc. I used it earlier this year to hack my friend's Wii and it worked fine - I got it out again to hack my brother's Wii and it won't work in his, either. The disc is in absolutely pristine condition, no surface scratches at all - the biggest advantage of backup loaders is that my games stay in great condition.

All firmwares were 4.3E when tested, so I'm guessing we can rule out that the game has been disabled by Ninty? Has anyone else had any problems? Will Ninty replace the disc with an equally vulnerable version if I ask them?

Cheers,

McH

Ace Overclocked

My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
McHaggis said:
I've had an original copy of Super Smash Bros Brawl (PAL) since it was released (the limited edition with the sleeve). Since USB loaders came along, I transferred all my games to the HDD and never had to touch the discs since. However, when I put SSBB in the Wii, it says it's unable to read the disc. I used it earlier this year to hack my friend's Wii and it worked fine - I got it out again to hack my brother's Wii and it won't work in his, either. The disc is in absolutely pristine condition, no surface scratches at all - the biggest advantage of backup loaders is that my games stay in great condition.

All firmwares were 4.3E when tested, so I'm guessing we can rule out that the game has been disabled by Ninty? Has anyone else had any problems? Will Ninty replace the disc with an equally vulnerable version if I ask them?

Cheers,

McH
you need to clean you wii's optical drive
buy the cleaner or send it to nintendo
i happened to me it's because ssbb is a dvd9 and if the optical drive has some dust in it it cannot be read well
try putting the disk several times
it should work

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Might have a DVD cleaner somewhere, I'll have a look around the house. I guess it's possible 2 launch-date Wiis could have a little dust on the lens.

Ryoku83

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is your brothers wii an older one? If im not mistaken some of the older wii's have trouble reading dual layer discs and ninty might fix/replace the drive for free. You may want to try giving them a call. (assuming is hasn't been modified yet)

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I didn't have a DVD cleaner but I did have an air duster can knocking about, so I blew it into both drives. It worked for my Wii and it's reading the disc just fine - didn't work on my brother's, though, which is a shame because SSBB is the only game I have for hacking.

Ryoku83 said:
Is your brothers wii an older one? If im not mistaken some of the older wii's have trouble reading dual layer discs and ninty might fix/replace the drive for free. You may want to try giving them a call. (assuming is hasn't been modified yet)

They're both from around the EU launch date. It hasn't been modified chip-wise, but he does have a USB Loader GX channel installed. It's non-functional, though. He was having problems with some things so I planned to update to 4.3 and then use SSBB to re-hack it. The update went smooth and, of course, removed the homebrew channel and other things. So he's stuck with a brewless Wii.

I've built up quite a confidence at taking stuff apart, so I've ordered a tri-wing screwdriver (not bad at £2.89 including delivery). When it arrives tomorrow I'll take the thing apart and try to clean the lens and if that doesn't work I'll temporarily swap the drives over until I can get a backup loader installed for him.

McH

chop

Trophies
XP
Country
shyam513 said:
You could always try Modmii - if you don't want to go through the hassle of swapping drives.

How's Modmii going to get past a Wii that's on 4.3 with a drive that won't read an Original Smash Bros disk?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat