Weird problem with Smash Bros Brawl

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by McHaggis, Jun 11, 2011.

Jun 11, 2011
  1. McHaggis
    OP

Member McHaggis Fackin' Troller

United Kingdom
    I've had an original copy of Super Smash Bros Brawl (PAL) since it was released (the limited edition with the sleeve). Since USB loaders came along, I transferred all my games to the HDD and never had to touch the discs since. However, when I put SSBB in the Wii, it says it's unable to read the disc. I used it earlier this year to hack my friend's Wii and it worked fine - I got it out again to hack my brother's Wii and it won't work in his, either. The disc is in absolutely pristine condition, no surface scratches at all - the biggest advantage of backup loaders is that my games stay in great condition.

All firmwares were 4.3E when tested, so I'm guessing we can rule out that the game has been disabled by Ninty? Has anyone else had any problems? Will Ninty replace the disc with an equally vulnerable version if I ask them?

Cheers,

McH

2. tagzard

Banned tagzard Tagzard the Crazy Dinosaur with Wings.

United States
    I havent. Is this the first time?

3. Ace Overclocked

Member Ace Overclocked My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Italy
    you need to clean you wii's optical drive
    buy the cleaner or send it to nintendo
    i happened to me it's because ssbb is a dvd9 and if the optical drive has some dust in it it cannot be read well
    try putting the disk several times
    it should work

4. McHaggis
    OP

United Kingdom
    Might have a DVD cleaner somewhere, I'll have a look around the house. I guess it's possible 2 launch-date Wiis could have a little dust on the lens.

5. Ryoku83

Member Ryoku83 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Is your brothers wii an older one? If im not mistaken some of the older wii's have trouble reading dual layer discs and ninty might fix/replace the drive for free. You may want to try giving them a call. (assuming is hasn't been modified yet)

6. McHaggis
    OP

United Kingdom
    I didn't have a DVD cleaner but I did have an air duster can knocking about, so I blew it into both drives. It worked for my Wii and it's reading the disc just fine - didn't work on my brother's, though, which is a shame because SSBB is the only game I have for hacking.

They're both from around the EU launch date. It hasn't been modified chip-wise, but he does have a USB Loader GX channel installed. It's non-functional, though. He was having problems with some things so I planned to update to 4.3 and then use SSBB to re-hack it. The update went smooth and, of course, removed the homebrew channel and other things. So he's stuck with a brewless Wii.

I've built up quite a confidence at taking stuff apart, so I've ordered a tri-wing screwdriver (not bad at £2.89 including delivery). When it arrives tomorrow I'll take the thing apart and try to clean the lens and if that doesn't work I'll temporarily swap the drives over until I can get a backup loader installed for him.

McH

7. shyam513

Member shyam513 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    You could always try Modmii - if you don't want to go through the hassle of swapping drives.

8. chop

Member chop GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    How's Modmii going to get past a Wii that's on 4.3 with a drive that won't read an Original Smash Bros disk?

9. Slimmmmmm

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom