Weird noise when connecting PS5's Seagate 3.5" 8 TB external HDD's power cord

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I only connect the PS5's Seagate 3.5" 8 TB external HDD's power cord when playing a PS4 game stored on the external HDD on the PS5 because the external HDD does a weird and annoying buzz-like noise when the external HDD's power cord is connected (even if the PS5 is turned off).

I've changed the extension cord and I already had this problem when the external HDD was connected to the PS4 and to the previous extension cord. Does this mean the external HDD may stop working, or even worse, may it fry all my devices connected to the extension cord or/and even have a fire? I only bought the external HDD two years ago (at the time, for the PS4) and I've had this problem since then.

If I connect the external HDD to the PC I don't have this noise.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sounds like drive is not properly sleeping. What you are hearing are the platters spinning. With windows it is controlled by software within windows itself which the ps5 does not implement. If left connected it could cause the drive motor to fail as it's working more than it has to. This will go away with a usb powered hdd. I'm not sure if seagate has a tool that you can use to check or enable the drives sleep state like WD does but doesn't hurt to check or call their support and ask.

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/sg0D1PpgCXs