Weird noise when connecting PS5's external HDD to extension cord

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Overnight, I take the PS5's 3.5" external HDD's power cord from the external HDD just to be sure because the external HDD's power supply makes an annoying whistling noise when the external HDD's power cord is connected and I'm worried about a fire starting.

I've changed the external HDD's power strip and directly connect the external HDD into the wall socket and into another socket from the same wall and I still have this problem. Does that mean the external HDD may stop working, or even worse, may it mess up all my devices connected to the power strip or/and may it even start a fire? I bought this external HDD two years ago and I've had this problem since then.

I find it odd that if I connect it to the laptop's power strip which is connected to a socket on another wall, I don't have this problem.

Last edited by Windows_10_User,

andrew93752

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Might just be the normal HDD Sound maybe?
It Wont make any sound on the PC because you wont access the HDD.
Sometimes my old external HDD spins up even with the PC off so that might be the thing here.
Just google some HDD Sounds and check if theyre the same.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Might just be the normal HDD Sound maybe?
It Wont make any sound on the PC because you wont access the HDD.
Sometimes my old external HDD spins up even with the PC off so that might be the thing here.
Just google some HDD Sounds and check if theyre the same.

What do you mean by not accessing the HDD in the PC? Is it because Windows doesn't recognize its format? Unfortunately, I don't find anything about HDD noises.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
No idea. That's probably why they suggest not removing the hdd unless it's unmounted or the system is off

Since it makes this noise even when it's the only device connected to the power strip where the TV, set-top box, PSs and gigabit switch were connected to but not when it's connected to the power strip where my laptop is connected to, does that mean this power strip is faulty? If so, shouldn't other devices connected to it be louder as well and why did I also have this problem with the former power strip?

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well, the ps5 seems to periodically scan the disc for a license while playing a game.

What does that have to do with this? It makes this whistling noise even when it's not connected to the PS5 and with the latter disconnected from the power strip. Are you talking about the noise the PS5 makes when playing discs?

Why are you all still using harddrives in 2023? USB 3 SSDs for the PS5 are cheap. I got a 480GB PNY for $40, and should have bought more than 2. They're amazing.

Are 8 TB external SSDs cheap? I don't think so. 480 GB is very little for me.

I personally put any game I'm playing on the internal m2. I can't afford the expansion pack, but it works.

Do you have any space left? I only store a few PS5 games there (the PS4 games are stored on the external HDD) and it sucks always deleting and installing them to have enough space. I didn't replace the PS5's SSD.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What does that have to do with this? It does this "humming" noise even when it's not connected to the PS5 and with the latter disconnected from the power strip. Are you talking about the noise the PS5 makes when playing discs?

Are 8 TB external SSDs cheap? I don't think so. 480 GB is very small for me.

Do you have any space left? I only store a few PS5 games there (the PS4 games are stored on the external HDD) and it sucks having to always be deleting and installing them to have the needed space. I didn't replace the PS5's SSD.
Yes, I just transfer digital to external. I only play one game at a time.

Reactions: Windows_10_User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: Chuck your brain out the window, it's useless, use your head instead