Hardware Weird hardware problems that is happening with my 2 New 3DS XL need an expert advice

drickmel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really really need experts to look into my problem. So I have to 2 New 3DS XL that has simple problems that turn worse.

New 3DS XL #1
It had worn rubber for ABXY so I had to buy a replacement rubber, simple stuff. The process of replacing them screwed up my Y button and C-stick nub. Y button will drop inputs a lot. Then C-stick nub requires a lot of force moving left direction and down direction. I made sure I was gentle dealing with the ribbons and they are seated properly. I bought new ribbons and replacement cstick nub In case I messed up. but to my horror, the problem still persisted.

New 3DS XL #2(this is where I messed up so bad that I might've perma-bricked it).
Same thing with New 3DS XL #1, I had to replace the rubber of ABXY. But I accidentally snap the ribbon retainer clip that connects the AXBY board to the motherboard. Now the ribbon won't secure and won't boot to system(blue light flashes for a couple second then shuts down). I solved this temporarily by putting a piece of paper under neat the ribbon to secure it and finally boot to the system. Everything was almost fine but the cstick nub started requiring more pressure to move to the right direction(similar symptom to #1). I tried re-seating the ribbon cable to multiple times to see if it will work and make cstick nub function properly again but the worst just happened. This unit won't power on anymore despite the ribbon being secure with the piece of paper. No blue lights or any led light at all. Completely dead.

This is so mysterious to me as none of the replacement parts I bought (new ABXY-to-motherboard ribbons and new cstick nub board) solved the problems. I am really baffled by this because I took really good care of both units.

Last edited by drickmel,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New 3DS XL #1
It had worn rubber for ABXY so I had to buy a replacement rubber, simple stuff. The process of replacing them screwed up my Y button and C-stick nub. Y button will drop inputs a lot. Then C-stick nub requires a lot of force moving left direction and down direction. I made sure I was gentle dealing with the ribbons and they are seated properly. I bought new ribbons and replacement cstick nub In case I messed up. but to my horror, the problem still persisted.

Replacement YXBA contact patches
-or-

Replacement n3DSXL YXBA board

C-Stick module

C-stick cap alternatives

Sony PSP-1000 cap
-or-

Lenovo super low profile TrackPoint cap

New 3DS XL #2(this is where I messed up so bad that I might've perma-bricked it).
Same thing with New 3DS XL #1, I had to replace the rubber of ABXY. But I accidentally snap the ribbon retainer clip that connects the AXBY board to the motherboard. Now the ribbon won't secure and won't boot to system(blue light flashes for a couple second then shuts down). I solved this temporarily by putting a piece of paper under neat the ribbon to secure it and finally boot to the system. Everything was almost fine but the cstick nub started requiring more pressure to move to the right direction(similar symptom to #1). I tried re-seating the ribbon cable to multiple times to see if it will work and make cstick nub function properly again but the worst just happened. This unit won't power on anymore despite the ribbon being secure with the piece of paper. No blue lights or any led light at all. Completely dead.

This is so mysterious to me as none of the replacement parts I bought (new ABXY-to-motherboard ribbons and new cstick nub board) solved the problems. I am really baffled by this because I took really good care of both units.

Sounds like you shorted and killed the n3DSXL #2's motherboard.
-or-

Reactions: drickmel

drickmel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the helpful links. I think I might just consider just buying a used N3DS in my local area. Do you know any tips for me to avoid shorting my N3DS next time? I remember that I was very careful. I understand the I shorted #2 because I broke the retainer clip securing the ribbon to the motherboard and it will eventually lead to this. But I have no idea how I messed up #1. I did not break anything. I am simply just disconnecting ribbons and unscrewing screws then just replacing the rubber. My Y button works perfectly before I did this.

And also, I did not know that you can replace the actual ABXY film patch. How do you even do this?

Last edited by drickmel,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you buy a replacement n2DSXL n3DS locally, be prepared to clean it with Lysol wipes or paper towel drenched in isopropyl rubbing alcohol or diluted Chlorox. Wash your hands after completing the purchase. Keep yourself safe from accidentally getting infected with Coronavirus.

You also can also buy refurbished (2/3)DS systems from Nintendo; check my signature.

For the contact patch, I believe one uses a plastic spudgey and (70% proof) isopropyl alcohol to lift, scrape, loosen, and clean off the old pad and its adhesive. You apply the new patch with careful alignment. Check those tutorials on how people put screen protectors on their smartphones with the tape trick.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: drickmel

drickmel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh my. Thank you for the real life tips. I think I would still prefer New3DS XL because New2ds XL seems a little harder to get inside the components based on the videos I have watched. New3DS XL seems to be the most modular of all 3DS models.

drickmel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to back up my whole N3DSXL #1 since it still turns on and restore it on a new N3DS XL? (saves, games, etc)
both of them running b9s.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is there a way to back up my whole N3DSXL #1 since it still turns on and restore it on a new N3DS XL? (saves, games, etc)
both of them running b9s.
You would need to get the saves, game files. off of the first console. You cannot just backup a copy of console 1 and put it on console 2. You would brick console 2 doing that.

D

Deleted User

Try to open the system up again and reseat the ribbon cables you have removed before. They can be extremely finicky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh my. Thank you for the real life tips. I think I would still prefer New3DS XL because New2ds XL seems a little harder to get inside the components based on the videos I have watched. New3DS XL seems to be the most modular of all 3DS models.
Backing up saves + extdata for system titles, 3DS games, GBA VC, and DSiWare.
  • Checkpoint
    • To make system titles appear in Checkpoint, edit this file with a text editor:
      • sdmc:/3ds/Checkpoint/config.json
    • Change this line:
      • Code:
        "nand_saves": false,
        • to
      • Code:
        "nand_saves": true,
  • JKSM
  • GBAVCSM
  • CTRTransfer (Type D9) - DSiWare CIAs & Saves

Backing up games, updates, and DLCs into CIAs.

System Transfer with hacked 3DS systems.
or

SDTransfer methods for sharing or cloning the Nintendo 3DS folder between two or more systems.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple