Weird and bothersome Firefox problems...

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Okay, so about... hmm... Id say a week ago, I started noticing problems with Firefox. Now, so far, Ive noticed 3 key problems.

1. I cant use the apostrophe, as you can see in this entire thread. When I press the apostrophe, (also the slash key, as in the one after http:) it brings up the "Find" feature, which is usually brought up by Ctrl + F. Very bothersome.

2. I cant cut, copy, or paste. This includes text, URLs, whatever. Wont let me do it.

3. I cant use the arrow keys to go to the left or right of a sentence, when Im writing something. For example, if I mess up and want to go back and delete something, I press the left key and nothing happens. They dont work.

Ive tried getting rid of my current FF skin, and it does nothing. Im using Forefox 2.0, the latest version I believe.

However, pretty weird, but when I close FF and open it again, it fixes it for anywhere between 10 minutes- 1 hour. After that, it starts again.

Is this happening to anyone else? Anyone know what I can do to fix it? I have reinstalled it 4 times now, with no luck. Thanks!

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Happened to me twice, but that was when I was using FF for like 10 hours non-stop. I have no idea what causes it, or how to stop it though. Sorry. =/

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1). That's the quick find bar , it's supposed to only come up when you don't have an active text box , but sometimes firefox doesn't seem to realise you have a text box. Check you don't have search for text when I start typing ticked in advanced , if it is un tick it. If that don't fix it , then you can try adding searchkeys.disable.all into about:config and setting it to true. If it still persists then you'll have to dig deeper and open the toolkit.jar file that is in the chrome folder inside the firefox folder. Then find the file findbar.js and find the lines

const CHAR_CODE_SLASH = "/".charCodeAt(0);
const CHAR_CODE_APOSTROPHE = "'".charCodeAt(0);

and remove the / and ' and then save it.

Then the bar will bother you no more.

Can also just double click firefox to resize window and it should temporally stop it.

Other questions , no idea.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Hmm... I'll try that, Armadillo. Thank you.

However, it's pretty weird, because so far, I had never had problems with Firefox before. It used to be my favorite browser until this. :\ I've had to switch over to ... ugh... Safari.

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Try navigating yourself to
Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

e.g. mine would be C:\Documents and Settings\Jonny\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

and deleting everything in there, and then firefox should prompt you to make a new profile, which should fix things

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
attention, if you delete your profile folder, you will lose your preferences, password, add-ons, text input memory etc.

1. The apostrophe opened when I used the "find text when typing", and when unchecking it it bother me no more.
The / open the searchbar only with the one lacated on the numpad (I'm using an azerty keyboard) so it doesn't bother me. it's even sometime useful to have a quick access here.

I didn't know the .js editiion fix. Thanks for that.

2. The copy past problem usually came back when minimizing FF window, going to another software and opening FF again.
I'm not sure what cause this. sorry.

3. I think it's linked with the copy/paste problem, but it's less frequent. going to another window fix it. For me at least.

It seems you have this problems for 1 week already, then maybe 2 and 3 will not work for you, sorry
frown.gif

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
attention, if you delete your profile folder, you will lose your preferences, password, add-ons, text input memory etc.

1. The apostrophe opened when I used the "find text when typing", and when unchecking it it bother me no more.
The / open the searchbar only with the one lacated on the numpad (I'm using an azerty keyboard) so it doesn't bother me. it's even sometime useful to have a quick access here.

I didn't know the .js editiion fix. Thanks for that.

2. The copy past problem usually came back when minimizing FF window, going to another software and opening FF again.
I'm not sure what cause this. sorry.

3. I think it's linked with the copy/paste problem, but it's less frequent. going to another window fix it. For me at least.

It seems you have this problems for 1 week already, then maybe 2 and 3 will not work for you, sorry
frown.gif

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2109

Backup your profile with FEBE before deleting your application data. It stores everything including cookies and passwords.

Also umm.... could you have a faulty keyboard?
I've had a few issues with FF before and I never noticed it was my keyboard.
Check using a word processing software that your keyboard is in working order.

If its fine then just back up your profile and restore it later.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Thanks xcalibur, Ill backup my profile and see what happens.

No, its definitely not the keyboard. I thought that too, but when I couldnt use the apostrophe, I went on IE and it was working fine. Same thing for the copy paste problem. :\

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Thanks for the help with the tabs, it worked :3 However, I disagree with the speed comment. When I use Safari, mine works as if I was using DIAL-UP. Its literally that slow. I have no idea why. If it was as fast as Firefox, I would make it my default browser in the blink of an eye.

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@ Cyan, matriculated

I would have expected that if she reinstalled it, she was hoping to remove it including her preferences and the installing it again. That's to say if you don't need to back up any preferences, you don't need to

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@ Cyan, matriculated

I would have expected that if she reinstalled it, she was hoping to remove it including her preferences and the installing it again.

That's to say if you don't need to back up any preferences, you don't have to

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: quite a tight bend on that 8pin->12pin adapter in my case, which is the worst case scenario, but...