Web Browser Forwarder Channels.

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by LightyKD, Mar 15, 2011.

Mar 15, 2011
  1. LightyKD
    OP

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    A while back, someone started a trend of creating "bookmark channels" for the Internet channel. It would be nice to see this continue. I currently have the Forward channels for Facebook Touch and Youtube XL installed on my Wii. I think part of the allure of the Wii Channels setup was the idea of having plenty of productivity apps that can be controlled from your TV. Sadly, the current Wii Homebrew scene isn't big on productivity apps (I don't know why not [​IMG] ) so having a bunch of corresponding forwarder channels might be the next best thing.

The following sites would be great candidates for forwarder channels

m.twitter.com
    m.yahoo.com
    m.flickr.com
    mycast.orb.com

Now that I think about it. It would be awesome if we could fool the Internet Browser into telling other sites that you're surfing from an android device. That way, web surfing on the Wii might have an overall better look. Last thought aside, what do you ladies and gents think about this?

2. M1r0

Member M1r0 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Three things, one forwarder channels for bookmarks would be taking up much space. Remember, the wii nand has only 512 MB of memory. Two, You do not need to say "It would be nice to see that trend continue", 4 times, such as "It would be awesome to see this trend continue", and "what do you ladies and gents think about continuing the trend of bookmark channels". Also, maybe a poll would be good for this topic?

3. LightyKD
    OP

United States
    Troll much? -besides It's my NAND space to waste and or use as I please. What exactly did you think, when Nintendo said they would be creating additional channels with only 512mb of space? You also forget that there IS something called the SD menu which makes your argument moot. I know channels take up space, I don't care about that. What I don't use on a normal basis, I stick on my SD card. It's that easy The reason my thread was made is because I'm tired of seeing wasted potential. Sometimes it only takes one spark of an idea to light a fire. Seriously, look at where the scene is right now. Most of the homebrew for the Wii consist of emulators, backup loaders, console tools and indy games. With the exception of WiiMC, there aren't any productivity apps which is a crying shame because the Wii Homebrew Browser, coupled with some really outstanding apps could basically be the Wii equivalent of the Android Market. It just feels like the scene is dead. Look at Google TV. There's plenty of potential in that. Now come back and look at the Wii Channels setup. There's potential in that too but right now It's being overlooked. The Wii could have been the iPhone/Android of consoles but instead, we barely get any good channels from Nintendo and most people here are solely focused on "Wii the GAME console" to think about "Wii the software platform".

EDIT: BTW Thanks for having me edit my first post. I don't know what I was thinking then [​IMG] Not exactly my best writing work -_-' lol

4. Donkey Plonk

Member Donkey Plonk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Probably due to not enough point. For software devs and homebrew devs, surely they would focus on a more powerful platform than the wii.

I see no point to forwarder channels to internet shortcuts and I can't imagine many genuine users do either and thats probably why you don't see much of it continuing.

Especially given that the internet channel itself has a favourites, so its like one or two extra button presses away.

Without trying to sound insulting, mate if you want to dictate the way the homebrew scene on the wii goes or any other console for that matter, the only way is to learn to code and create what you think is wanted.
    I wouldn't hold your breath for wii apps that are basically not wii apps, just apps written to work on a wii other than emulators, usb loaders, those are all related to the wii experience hence why they are written

5. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    FYI, the thread you're referring to is mine and it's still alive and kicking even though its not incredibly active. Here's the link:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=200114
    You can put any requests for forwarder dols there and I'll get around to it eventually, or you can do it yourself by just changing the path of an existing forwarder dol using a hex editor (or of course recompile the whole thing).

But yea, despite the fact that this was my idea in the first place, even I don't have any internet forwarder channels installed cuz I just don't use opera on the Wii often enough. Anyways, they don't take up too much nand space since the dol is essentially just a forwarder; however, what might make the channels large is the graphics themselves, but if u keep the look of the forwarder simple then size really shouldn't be an issue (but as already mentioned they can be moved to the SD card menu anyways).

6. LightyKD
    OP

United States
    Now that you posted here, I need to say Thank You for creating the "mycast.orb.com" .dol file [​IMG] Also, is there a Wii banner/Channel creating app for the PC? I'm a fairly decent artist so If I had a program to work with I could at least create banners while you work on .dol Files. I guess I'm just app happy, which is fueling this thread. For those of you who have opposing feelings , I'm still glad you replied. It's nice to see everybody's point of view! [​IMG] All of that aside, it kinda sucks that Wii app creating isnt as easy as flash game creation [​IMG] -at least from the artist POV

7. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    You're welcome

& you want to download "customize mii"