Hacking Suggestion we need a way to unbanned

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Alright kids, settle down. No more flaming and cussing at other users. As for the topic at hand...

Every user who chooses to modify their console and use it online opens themselves to the risk of being banned. Every stealth method, no matter how effective, can and usually does fail once the service provider figures out a way around it, which is something users must be aware of.

When you use custom firmware, you make a conscious decision that you want the benefits of CFW and they outweigh the security of running the console vanilla, you should *assume* that the possibility of being banned is very real and not an injustice perpetrated against you - Nintendo clearly outlines their terms of service and they are under no obligation to give you access to their servers, which are designed with vanilla consoles in mind.

In the future there might be a way to unban consoles, perhaps with the use of donor ID's as it was the case in the past, but as it stands, there is no truly safe way to go online on a modified Switch, your choice of custom firmware here is irrelevant.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or, you know, don't go online, disable WiFi, etc when you mod a console? Now there's an idea :rolleyes: What the hell do people expect, for Nintendo to be complacent like they were with modded Wii U consoles?

Freezerbomb

Likes tacos
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or, you know, don't go online, disable WiFi, etc when you mod a console? Now there's an idea :rolleyes: What the hell do people expect, for Nintendo to be complacent like they were with modded Wii U consoles?

I've been modding consoles since the PS2/Dreamcast days and have never been banned from any online service. Although I did get a friendly warning from Sony for modding my PS3. Not every one is smart enough to avoid a ban though. Have fun offline :)

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can nobody read? a nintendo switch motherboard is basically a new nintendo switch console just without everything that's not the motherboard
Can you not read? The major difference is the price, which was our point.
And no buying a new mobo is not "buying a new switch" anyway. That would be like me saying replacing my dead computer mobo is like buying a new computer, it's just lacking everything else a computer needs. Which are both factually incorrect statements. Buying a repair part is not "buying a new switch". Especially when comparing price.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been modding consoles since the PS2/Dreamcast days and have never been banned from any online service. Although I did get a friendly warning from Sony for modding my PS3. Not every one is smart enough to avoid a ban though. Have fun offline :)
Lol I modded my ps3, never went online, I thought they just banned your account?

jimmyj

Official founder of altariaism. Copyright jimmyj
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can you not read? The major difference is the price, which was our point.
And no buying a new mobo is not "buying a new switch" anyway. That would be like me saying replacing my dead computer mobo is like buying a new computer, it's just lacking everything else a computer needs. Which are both factually incorrect statements. Buying a repair part is not "buying a new switch". Especially when comparing price.
if the motherboard has a different serial number,it is essentially a new system(at least it would look like it on Nintendo's side). plus I've not argued at all about the price

SG911

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably will NEVER happen. I'm sure there's plenty of us, who would love to get unbanned or unban a console/account etc. Just not something that you can do really that i know of. One could only hope tho!

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Oh, I will, because I'm not paying for a service that's sub standard.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There's really no way to be "smart" about it as detection mechanisms, which are mostly server-side, can change overnight - the community won't know until the first wave of bans signifies a change in procedure. It's not a matter of how smart someone is, more a matter of how lucky you are. Systems prior to the PS3/360 were relatively safe to mod and play online, nowadays that is not the case. Reports of people doing everything just right and still getting banned are not uncommon. There's only so much you can do to be stealthy, my general rule is that once a system is modded, it's an offline console.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There's really no way to be "smart" about it as detection mechanisms, which are mostly server-side, can change overnight - the community won't know until the first wave of bans signifies a change in procedure. It's not a matter of how smart someone is, more a matter of how lucky you are. Systems prior to the PS3/360 were relatively safe to mod and play online, nowadays that is not the case. Reports of people doing everything just right and still getting banned are not uncommon. There's only so much you can do to be stealthy, my general rule is that once a system is modded, it's an offline console.
I don't know if I can +1 all that.

For the most part then yeah a modded device of the class that most consoles fall into are effectively offline devices, or any online you get is a perk.

The server side stuff though is what troubles me here. The bans are, or at least should, be primarily* server side revocation of unique keys which are unable to generated/guessed.

*if they want to bury a local flag then so be it.

The detection though is pretty much all local. Any online stuff is reserved for odd patterns or people doing better than a perfect AI would, give or take what Valve is doing these days ( https://www.pcgamer.com/vacnet-csgo/ ). From a practical perspective it would take a full antivirus company or equivalent analysis capabilities to root things out if the device maker did even a fig leaf attempt at obfuscation, something I have seen user communities bypass but not in games (some of the DS stuff just about got into the same realm but that is different). To that end sure most of the time it will be ban and reaction rather than analysis and downtime as it is repeated for firmware updates but what you said might risk the wrong impression/takeaway.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't know if I can +1 all that.

For the most part then yeah a modded device of the class that most consoles fall into are effectively offline devices, or any online you get is a perk.

The server side stuff though is what troubles me here. The bans are, or at least should, be primarily* server side revocation of unique keys which are unable to generated/guessed.

*if they want to bury a local flag then so be it.

The detection though is pretty much all local. Any online stuff is reserved for odd patterns or people doing better than a perfect AI would, give or take what Valve is doing these days ( https://www.pcgamer.com/vacnet-csgo/ ). From a practical perspective it would take a full antivirus company or equivalent analysis capabilities to root things out if the device maker did even a fig leaf attempt at obfuscation, something I have seen user communities bypass but not in games (some of the DS stuff just about got into the same realm but that is different). To that end sure most of the time it will be ban and reaction rather than analysis and downtime as it is repeated for firmware updates but what you said might risk the wrong impression/takeaway.
I would argue that it's not all local, at least not universally. If you recall, the DSi used both a local key and a key served by Nintendo, it was calculated on the client machine upon its first connection to the online store and it was used for any installed content. Naturally it's the local machine that sends all the relevant information to the server and, depending on how well we know the protocol, we can spoof some of that information, but a single tweak server side nullifies the "stealth connection" without warning. As such, I treat a modded systems as effectively offline since even if they aren't banned, they very well may be already flagged or will become flagged in the future. It's just one of those things you must take into consideration *before* you modify your console - you might lose access to services permanently and it'll be entirely fair if or when it happens.

gnze796

Trophies
XP
Country
I think that any type of modding should stay apart from Online Gaming. I get that some people mod their consoles without downloading backups, but it is a risk that you have to assume and accept. If you really want to enjoy a console and a game online mode, you have no other choice than get a second Switch system and play legit with it

Don Jon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that any type of modding should stay apart from Online Gaming. I get that some people mod their consoles without downloading backups, but it is a risk that you have to assume and accept. If you really want to enjoy a console and a game online mode, you have no other choice than get a second Switch system and play legit with it
nah

Reactions: Mat37

RedHunter

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Actually I'm doing just fine with SX emunand, just waiting for 2.4 to update to 6.2 and return playing online. No second Switch needed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup