We need a new console maker!

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been thinking about this for a while and I believe the console market is becoming stale.
The 3 big companies have become too set in their ways- Microsoft believe people will happily pay for anything with their name on it, despite relying heavily on 3rd party support. Sony have struck a happy medium with regards to 3rd party support but have alienated and pissed off a large portion of their fanbase through poor decisions at the top of the company. Nintendo (god love 'em) are seemingly becoming like Sega did in the mid '90s (too many peripherals and add-ons too quickly) whilst relying solely on the selling power of Mario and Zelda.

Handheld wise, both Nintendo and Sony have reworked their consoles so much (DS, DSLite, DSi, DSiXL/ PSP1000, PSP2000, PSP3000, PSPGo) that the very similar looking next gen (3DS and PSVita) will go largely unnoticed by the average game buyer (for example I know people who do not know the difference between a DSLite and a DSi, and have bought PSPGo then wondered where the UMD's go...)- PSVita has more of a chance as it will most likely be better marketed (even in news reports about the purported headaches, 3DS is still referred to as '3D-DS' thus making DSlite owners think it as a worthless upgrade).

So I think someone new should be given a chance- remember when X-Box was first announced and the post-dreamcast generation scoffed? And when PSX first arrived the Nintendo-Sega people laughed at the prospect of it, then 'I'll give it a try' followed by 'This is great!'.

I guess in a very long winded way I am trying to ask- In this forthcoming Wii-U/PS4/PSvita/3DS generation, who would you like to see releasing a stealth console or handheld?
Someone known for software, like Capcom? The dreaded Apple console? Or someone like Sega making a glorious return to form?

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I honestly don't see a new console maker unless one of the present three pull out of the console market whicih I don't see happening. All three are in decent financial positions and show they have the stomach for the next generation of consoles.

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem with that is that A new competitor might have trouble getting game designers to develop for their console. But this is a very good though I'm tired of the big three dominating the market. Alas, there is so much work that goes into making a console out of the blue and being successful. While the vets already have a fanbase to instantly fallback on.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I can see On Live catching on and becoming competition to the big three. I know it's not technically a console as such, but it acts like one.

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It's the continual 'fanboy' accusations that annoy me- weirdly it's only Nintendo vs Sony (do Microsoft have any fanboys?!). I often get accused of being a Nintendo fanboy for defending the 3DS which- honestly- is a GOOD handheld. I am probably a bit of one, but I will get a Vita too.
Of the big 3 Nintendo are the most distanced from it, due to not playing by the rules (the PS3 and 360 have similar specs and 3rd party support, the Wii pioneered a lot of things that the other 2 clamoured to get on board with once Wii had proved it successful- likewise the DS and PSP were vastly different, PSP lending itself better to ports of PS2 games, DS bringing point and click back to the mainstream).

Sega coming out with a killer console would be amazing- they still have enough Dreamcast fans and those of us old enough to recall the Megadrive/Genesis from it's pre- MegaCD/ 32x heyday that it would do relatively well right out of the gate. I wouldn't want Apple to do it, as they'd undercut everyone with hastily made downloadable games and use I-Phone 6 as a joypad.....

kevan

Imagination rules the world
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Your on the wrong forum for MS fanboys
tongue.gif

Although PS and Ninty ones are far more dedicated

Edit: What would you think if MS came out with
A handheld?

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
kevan said:
Your on the wrong forum for MS fanboys
tongue.gif

Although PS and Ninty ones are far more dedicated

Edit: What would you think if MS came out with
A handheld?
A Microsoft handheld would be OK, I think the 3DS and Vita need a bit of healthy competition as they are vastly different beasts with completely different specs.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Weaselpipe said:
Sega coming out with a killer console would be amazing- they still have enough Dreamcast fans and those of us old enough to recall the Megadrive/Genesis from it's pre- MegaCD/ 32x heyday that it would do relatively well right out of the gate. I wouldn't want Apple to do it, as they'd undercut everyone with hastily made downloadable games and use I-Phone 6 as a joypad.....

Sega won't produce a new console. They don't have the money to do so. End of.

QUOTE(Weaselpipe @ Sep 8 2011, 01:04 PM) the Wii pioneered a lot of things that the other 2 clamoured to get on board with once Wii had proved it successful-

Outside of motion controls (which I'm still not convinced about as a control scheme), I'd be curious of what Sony and MS clamoured on.

kthnxshwn

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sega has more than enough money to produce a new console. No idea where you've read or heard that they didn't.

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
emigre said:
Weaselpipe said:

Sega won't produce a new console. They don't have the money to do so. End of.

QUOTE(Weaselpipe @ Sep 8 2011, 01:04 PM) the Wii pioneered a lot of things that the other 2 clamoured to get on board with once Wii had proved it successful-

Outside of motion controls (which I'm still not convinced about as a control scheme), I'd be curious of what Sony and MS clamoured on.
I was being a little facetious, Motion controls are about it (and a proper argument would involve the Eye-Toy, but let's not go down that route). But Sony and Microsoft were very "people want realistic graphics, not hand waggling gimmicks" at the beginning of the generation, then PSMove and Kinect appear
And I wasn't hoping Sega would make a console- just saying it would be amazing if they did (and yes, a lot of the amazement would stem from their lack of money)
Edit- @kthnxshwn I hear it bandied around forums a lot. I dunno, you release just 37 bad Sonic the Hedgehog games and people write you off!

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
kthnxshwn said:
Sega has more than enough money to produce a new console. No idea where you've read or heard that they didn't.

I can't see how Sega could afford it unless they make an underpowered console. Producing a new console is going to cost a huge amount and to do so you would need strong financial support which Sony and Microsoft have. From my understanding Sega haven't got that money.

EDIT: They took on several years of losses after the Dreamcast and it seems they're making some decent money in recent years. I'm unconvinced they have the resources to make a new console. It seems to me its more profitable for them to stay as a third party.

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Rockstar said:
No we dont.
Best response yet, well thought out and to the point! But we do though, don't we?! Remember the days when the market was oversaturated with consoles from all angles and only the strongest survived regardless of their existing fanbase? In a global recession we need that sort of frivolous attitude to money!

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
What would you want from this new console maker? All I see at the moment is two companies making near identical consoles in the form of MS and Sony, and everyone whining that Nintendo should make their consoles more like MS and Sony.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This won't happen, as the smartphone/tablet segment is FAR more profitable.

Sony and Nintendo are still in the market only because they're long standing companies, and they still believe they have to do handhelds.

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
BlueStar said:
What would you want from this new console maker? All I see at the moment is two companies making near identical consoles in the form of MS and Sony, and everyone whining that Nintendo should make their consoles more like MS and Sony.
This is my point, we need something innovative and new

QUOTE(raulpica @ Sep 8 2011, 01:40 PM) This won't happen, as the smartphone/tablet segment is FAR more profitable.

Sony and Nintendo are still in the market only because they're long standing companies, and they still believe they have to do handhelds.
Handhelds are my favourite bit, they are less easily replaced than smartphones and aren't a jack of all trades master of none like tablets

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night