Hacking Discussion we need a good cfw and community

s-arash

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
switch hacking scene sucks

- Atmosphere: had drama and some of their major developers left the team, delay after delay, nothing for end-user, totally dictatorial and they ban you for shitty reasons
- RajNX: it's atmosphere with sig patches for trolling reinx, totally worthless
- ReiNX: some of script kiddies gathered together and wrote a bootloader with atmosphere sysmodules and named it a cfw, the community is just full of trolls or memes, many of them are under 18, they can't even have a proper release and you'll see lots of sdfiles everywhere without even a version number, their help section is almost full of trolls, overall they have nothing from themselves and they have really poor skills, just look at their head Rei, he released cracked version of sx os as rommenu.nro but the major feature of sx os "XCI Loading" didn't work and started to shout everywhere that i cracked sx os

overall, switch scene needs a real cfw like luma on 3ds, and a good and healthy community not the one with bans, trolls, script kiddies, etc...

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

- Atmosphere: had drama and some of their major developers left the team, delay after delay, nothing for end-user, totally dictatorial and they ban you for shitty reasons
- ReiNX: some of script kiddies gathered together and wrote a bootloader with atmosphere sysmodules and named it a cfw, the community is just full of trolls or memes, many of them are under 18, they can't even have a proper release and you'll see lots of sdfiles everywhere without even a version number, their help section is almost full of trolls, overall they have nothing from themselves and they have really poor skills, just look at their head Rei, he released cracked version of sx os as rommenu.nro but the major feature of sx os "XCI Loading" didn't work and started to shout everywhere that i cracked sx os

overall, switch scene needs a real cfw like luma on 3ds, and a good and healthy community not the one with bans, trolls, script kiddies, etc...
Ur basically claiming that everybody is quite toxic but here you are with a kinda toxic thread yourself. If you wanted your point to come across, I would present it in a less negative manner because this is not helping and is gonna create a shitstorm of toxic comments. Even mine is turning toxic because of it. Anyway, if you want a proper discussion with people I would lose the negativity. Then you'll get a good healthy community

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like you have more experience making software/custom-firmware than all these devs that have been around since the 3DS scene and made previous CFWs.

How about you get started on real CFW for us? /s

Also as a side-note: Luma3DS was a fork of ReiNand made by the same "script-kiddies" that are working on ReiNX.

Last edited by 8BitWonder,

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Alright. I tried to stay quiet on this but here we go:

- Atmosphere: The developers of this custom firmware have done an absolutely amazing job. They laid the groundwork for everything else that has been released so far, Atmosphere is the only reason ReiNX, and SX OS exist and work as well as they do. I will never understand why people complain about it not being released. It's out there. It's on GitHub. There you go. There's just no "plug and play" solution for it yet, but there will be soon, even though it won't have many benefits for the end user who isn't interested in developing anything. They're also working on emuNAND and other important features, which other devs will then implement into their solutions as well. Don't expect anything like emuNAND from ReiNX or SX OS as long as it hasn't been implemented in Atmosphere.

- RajNX: I can't say anything about that one. Never tried it out. Seems to be a rip off of ReiNX.

- ReiNX: This is what I'm using right now. Yes, there is some confusion about the different versions of SDFiles, yes, it's a little bit annoying that there doesn't seem to be a definitive installation guide for it yet. However, even given all these "problems", you should be able to get everything up and running in a matter of 15-30 minutes. Once everything's working, you don't really have to bother with keeping the SDFiles package up to date. Everything is working pretty well right now. I've set up my CFW a couple of weeks ago and haven't had to change anything ever since. Everything just works. Yes, the community is weird. Mostly because it's full of teenagers who just want their free games. It's also full of people feeling like they're scene insiders because they've joined a Discord server. Leave them be, don't engage, and you'll have a good time.

- SX OS: I've used a SX Pro ever since it was first released and had absolutely zero problems with it. The only reason I've switched over was because I simply wanted to mess around with something. It's a shame that every one of their release threads gets clogged up with 50 pages of bickering with the same arguments and counterarguments. I really don't believe they're giving anything to the scene or bringing it forward in any way, but eh, I saw it as a milestone in the early scene days and wanted to give it a shot.

Also, by your definition, what is a "real CFW"? Luma certainly isn't. Luma is an assortment of patches applied to the original firmware. That's all. Don't get me wrong, I use Luma pretty much daily and I love it, but it is not the holy grail of custom firmwares.

Conclusion:
If you want to run unsigned code on a Nintendo Switch, there are a couple of reasonably easy solutions right out there for you. No, there isn't a "community standard" like Luma at the moment. Seeing as most people are only here for pirated games, and the Atmosphere devs are against that, I don't believe there will be a standard in the very near future. No, none of the free solutions are currently being spoonfed to you, you will have to do some reading and research. In my opinion, this is what console hacking scenes should be like though. People should have to inform themselves and have legitimate interest in the scene, and not just want a quick and easy way to play their warez. Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to a general beginner's guide, like we've got on the 3DS, that guide is pretty much perfect. If you truly want a plug and play solution that offers little to no work from yourself, invest in SX. You won't get anything too fancy, but at least you'll get your warez, GPL violations included.

However, nobody with any sort of reasonable thought process, can deny that Atmosphere is laying the groundwork for everything the Switch hacking community has at the moment. I'm sure that once a 1.0 release with emuNAND and maybe even something Rosalina-esque is released, the scene will gain a lot of additional momentum. I'm certain that there will be a version with sig patches in a matter of hours or days, maybe Atmosphere won't even do anything against you loading a sig patch kip alongside it, I don't know.

All I can really say is: Give it time, don't complain if you're not going to actually add something to the scene yourself-

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Rome wasn't built in a day, and all that. The Switch scene is still new. Absolutely toxic, sure, but we've not reached critical trash that the 3DS scene got to, yet. Give it time and more people will get involved, and more progress will be made, and things will clear up. I mean, we're what, a year and a half into Switch hacking? That's a feat on its own.

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rome wasn't built in a day, and all that. The Switch scene is still new. Absolutely toxic, sure, but we've not reached critical trash that the 3DS scene got to, yet. Give it time and more people will get involved, and more progress will be made, and things will clear up. I mean, we're what, a year and a half into Switch hacking? That's a feat on its own.
Pretty much, yeah. The 3DS hacking still took quite a while before getting to where it is now and the amount users that are active and joined is a lot higher compared to back when the 3DS hacking scene was just a year and a half old.

Slim45

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Alright. I tried to stay quiet on this but here we go:

- Atmosphere: The developers of this custom firmware have done an absolutely amazing job. They laid the groundwork for everything else that has been released so far, Atmosphere is the only reason ReiNX, and SX OS exist and work as well as they do. I will never understand why people complain about it not being released. It's out there. It's on GitHub. There you go. There's just no "plug and play" solution for it yet, but there will be soon, even though it won't have many benefits for the end user who isn't interested in developing anything. They're also working on emuNAND and other important features, which other devs will then implement into their solutions as well. Don't expect anything like emuNAND from ReiNX or SX OS as long as it hasn't been implemented in Atmosphere.

- RajNX: I can't say anything about that one. Never tried it out. Seems to be a rip off of ReiNX.

- ReiNX: This is what I'm using right now. Yes, there is some confusion about the different versions of SDFiles, yes, it's a little bit annoying that there doesn't seem to be a definitive installation guide for it yet. However, even given all these "problems", you should be able to get everything up and running in a matter of 15-30 minutes. Once everything's working, you don't really have to bother with keeping the SDFiles package up to date. Everything is working pretty well right now. I've set up my CFW a couple of weeks ago and haven't had to change anything ever since. Everything just works. Yes, the community is weird. Mostly because it's full of teenagers who just want their free games. It's also full of people feeling like they're scene insiders because they've joined a Discord server. Leave them be, don't engage, and you'll have a good time.

- SX OS: I've used a SX Pro ever since it was first released and had absolutely zero problems with it. The only reason I've switched over was because I simply wanted to mess around with something. It's a shame that every one of their release threads gets clogged up with 50 pages of bickering with the same arguments and counterarguments. I really don't believe they're giving anything to the scene or bringing it forward in any way, but eh, I saw it as a milestone in the early scene days and wanted to give it a shot.

Also, by your definition, what is a "real CFW"? Luma certainly isn't. Luma is an assortment of patches applied to the original firmware. That's all. Don't get me wrong, I use Luma pretty much daily and I love it, but it is not the holy grail of custom firmwares.

Conclusion:
If you want to run unsigned code on a Nintendo Switch, there are a couple of reasonably easy solutions right out there for you. No, there isn't a "community standard" like Luma at the moment. Seeing as most people are only here for pirated games, and the Atmosphere devs are against that, I don't believe there will be a standard in the very near future. No, none of the free solutions are currently being spoonfed to you, you will have to do some reading and research. In my opinion, this is what console hacking scenes should be like though. People should have to inform themselves and have legitimate interest in the scene, and not just want a quick and easy way to play their warez. Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to a general beginner's guide, like we've got on the 3DS, that guide is pretty much perfect. If you truly want a plug and play solution that offers little to no work from yourself, invest in SX. You won't get anything too fancy, but at least you'll get your warez, GPL violations included.

However, nobody with any sort of reasonable thought process, can deny that Atmosphere is laying the groundwork for everything the Switch hacking community has at the moment. I'm sure that once a 1.0 release with emuNAND and maybe even something Rosalina-esque is released, the scene will gain a lot of additional momentum. I'm certain that there will be a version with sig patches in a matter of hours or days, maybe Atmosphere won't even do anything against you loading a sig patch kip alongside it, I don't know.

All I can really say is: Give it time, don't complain if you're not going to actually add something to the scene yourself-
well written. i'm on the rei discord. while there are some trolls on there they have always helped me whenever i've needed help and others

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You know what we really need? Patience. No scene started out perfect, the 3DS scene for example started out with CFWs that were just complete mess of code and "script kiddies." It even had a "better" closed-source CFW in Gateway that people used to defend tooth and nail like the TX Team. The striking parallels between the scene is honestly not shocking because it's almost all dominated by the same people/kinds of people. Over time the community CFWs will mature, they will fork, the devs will get their footing, TX team will slowly fade away, and it will be like the current 3DS CFW scene, expect with the Switch scene.

Last edited by The Catboy,

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do people say SX has no unique features. They have XCI. Took the scene YEARS to equal Gateway's Cheat engine but everyone said it was useless too. Why do people think they need to lie to kick it here?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You know what we really need? Patients. No scene started out perfect, the 3DS scene for example started out with CFWs that were just complete mess of code and "script kiddies." It even had a "better" closed-source CFW in Gateway that people used to defend tooth and nail like the TX Team. The striking parallels between the scene is honestly not shocking because it's almost all dominated by the same people/kinds of people. Over time the community CFWs will mature, they will fork, the devs will get their footing, TX team will slowly fade away, and it will be like the current 3DS CFW scene, expect with the Switch scene.

No offense LV but your politics warp your views too much when it comes to this subject. It's like you were summoned somehow. Amazing. Let people use whatever they want. It's their toy. Their slot. Not yours.

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

yea some of the ReiNX code was ported from Atmosphere. I can tell you though that the devs are doing their damnedest to get shit done. Someone is working on xci loading for tinfoil. I've literally seen reinx develop 10 times as much in a month as a I have anything else. They are working on new features and stuff. Did you want to back up your nand in under an hour? the devs are working on it. yes the scene is a bit of a mess but the devs are doing their job and developing stuff

Reactions: charlieb

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know what we really need? Patients. No scene started out perfect, the 3DS scene for example started out with CFWs that were just complete mess of code and "script kiddies." It even had a "better" closed-source CFW in Gateway that people used to defend tooth and nail like the TX Team. The striking parallels between the scene is honestly not shocking because it's almost all dominated by the same people/kinds of people. Over time the community CFWs will mature, they will fork, the devs will get their footing, TX team will slowly fade away, and it will be like the current 3DS CFW scene, expect with the Switch scene.
Sx-OS has a pretty big install base so I see no reason it would fade away anytime soon. They've already stated to be working on a cheat system, nand manager, usb loading and emunand...

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Sx-OS has a pretty big install base so I see no reason it would fade away anytime soon. They've already stated to be working on a cheat system, nand manager, usb loading and emunand...
I am not saying anything will happen tomorrow, but these kinds of teams tend to stagger when the community picks up. Keeping with the Gateway example, they were the top dog for several years and there was no debating that they were better than the community devs for quite some time. But over time the community expanded, new expoits were found, more serious devs got into the community, and the Gateway team simply couldn't keep up. They ended up failing because they lagged behind until they stopped working on their cart and moved on. I won't be shocked to see the SX team following down the same road, especially with how things are shaping up and looking so close to repeating. Maybe they won't and they do keep up, but only time will tell.

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: oufai

jimmyj

Official founder of altariaism. Copyright jimmyj
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
look the only reason gateway was kinda prayed to was because of piracy,plus the closed source made it the holy grail since no one could see the code and only assume it was good code and for all we know it was just as messy as the old cfws.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended