Hacking We made some videos, please check it out.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess they will ship with swappable shells :)

Well, that's a rather cheeky reply on their part. :) But, I try not to presume given that for a long while they were selling different versions of the EZ IV and they each had different capabilities. Made me want to get one of the (somewhat absurdly named) EZ IV Lite Deluxe. Regardless, the amusing part to me is that when/if I do get their new version, instead of 50% of my time being loading GBI and 50% being loading a game, it'll be closer to 99% loading GBI*.

* I use Agent Under Fire because me and disassembled hardware don't mix well. Especially ribbon cables. :(

Invader TAK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Swappable shells makes sense considering the Reform has them.

So let's see, fast ROM loading, direct save to the Micro SD card, RTC, replaceable battery for RTC, 256Mb PSRAM, 512Mb NOR (with the ability to write multiple games to it like the EZ Flash IV), fast loading, cheats and save states. a clean mode (which I'm guessing means being able to flash a game to the NOR and have it boot directly, like how the 3-in-1 works). Only missing features are rumble and gyroscope, which are only used for a few games and would increase the size of the cart. It already sounds like this cart is better than the Everdrive GBA X5. I'll definitely upgrade to this and use my Reform for Pokemon event saves and distros.

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Swappable shells makes sense considering the Reform has them.

So let's see, fast ROM loading, direct save to the Micro SD card, RTC, replaceable battery for RTC, 256Mb PSRAM, 512Mb NOR (with the ability to write multiple games to it like the EZ Flash IV), fast loading, cheats and save states. a clean mode (which I'm guessing means being able to flash a game to the NOR and have it boot directly, like how the 3-in-1 works). Only missing features are rumble and gyroscope, which are only used for a few games and would increase the size of the cart. It already sounds like this cart is better than the Everdrive GBA X5. I'll definitely upgrade to this and use my Reform for Pokemon event saves and distros.
That's if game compatibility is just as good.

Reactions: Invader TAK

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm guessing clean mode means no patching at all, which is good for all the games that don't support the reset/menu patching they're doing. I'm also rather curious just how stable the save/load state is. I doubt I'll use it much, actually, but it looks like it works amazingly fast (1-2 seconds). Yea, though, it's really hard to think of what else could be said to be missing.

Reactions: Invader TAK

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
wait, the battery was removed? does that mean the card has no place to put a battery?
so you have to setup the time every time you boot to use the RTC? :C

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
wait, the battery was removed? does that mean the card has no place to put a battery?
so you have to setup the time every time you boot to use the RTC? :C
No, the card has a battery. They only removed it for the seventh video to show that games save directly to the card without a battery or a dead batter. EZ-Flash2 mentions in his initial post that the battery is used for the RTC.

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Can you give details about power draw of the new card? This is quite important to a lot of people.
same here, my 3DS can already do GBA well enough with very good battery drain, if this new card draws more power than the reform did then its not worth it as a replacement

Ashes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
In this type of comments i never see battery life questioning. Very important thing with flashcards.

I have a reform cartridge since more than a month, and the whole thing for me is indifferent besides load speed and maybe a few features like NOR space and saves direct to microsd (doesn´t have to softreset and before switch off wait for save file in microsd to last longer coin cell life). Cheating is not my game and I prefer a balanced lion battery life, to a flashcard with dozens of modes and less time playing. Remember guys, for example my lite has more than 10 years and the lion battery has reduced his playtime a 30%. Materials will be as cheap as reform ones without a doubt.

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
In this type of comments i never see battery life questioning. Very important thing with flashcards.

I have a reform cartridge since more than a month, and the whole thing for me is indifferent besides load speed and maybe a few features like NOR space and saves direct to microsd (doesn´t have to softreset and before switch off wait for save file in microsd to last longer coin cell life). Cheating is not my game and I prefer a balanced lion battery life, to a flashcard with dozens of modes and less time playing. Remember guys, for example my lite has more than 10 years and the lion battery has reduced his playtime a 30%. Materials will be as cheap as reform ones without a doubt.
well, some of those new features were needed, the battery will be drained way faster by the RT clock, but thats just how the RT clock works on literally every computer, even a PC's motherboard and without it pokemon for example loses a lot of features

Ashes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
well, some of those new features were needed, the battery will be drained way faster by the RT clock, but thats just how the RT clock works on literally every computer, even a PC's motherboard and without it pokemon for example loses a lot of features

Pokemon never will be in my playlist. Lucky for me ;)

Instead, GBC and NES emulation features are interesting. But in a momentary way, not to go deep in it. I´ve had a NES but emulating it become worthless in my case. I didn´t played GBC and the catalogue is unattractive for me, despite having gems like Metal gear ghost babel.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Instead, GBC and NES emulation features are interesting. But in a momentary way, not to go deep in it. I´ve had a NES but emulating it become worthless in my case. I didn´t played GBC and the catalogue is unattractive for me, despite having gems like Metal gear ghost babel.
GBC and NES emulation exists in every gba cart, its the pocket nes and gomba emulators.
this new ez iv doesn't bring anything new to this table

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Pokemon never will be in my playlist. Lucky for me ;)

i was exactly like you till i got into the GBC library thanks to checking out /v/'s recommended game's list, its a really good catalog, the GB doesnt have many good games but the GBC has a whole bunch, you like rougelikes? try azure dreams, you like stealth games? try MGS/MG ghost babel (you really have to play it, it really is the best 2D MG game, it even comes with VR missions that are a demake of the ones in the VR missions expansion pack for the original MGS and multiplayer), like platformers? super mario land 2 with the DX patch and rayman on the GBC are FANTASTIC, shooters? elevator action DX is the best game in the series (except old and new on the GBA, but thats JP exclusive, the GBC one didnt even come out on the US, well, it did, but as a dexter's laboratory game).

as for the emulation, its nothing new, its cool that it comes built in, but NES games will never look good on the DS screen resolution, much less on the GBA's, thats why the offcial nintendo carts with NES classics look squished

BTW, if you like RPGs at all you should try pokemon, i played yellow last month and it was nice, it wont be the best game ever but its aged surprisingly well

Ashes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
i was exactly like you till i got into the GBC library thanks to checking out /v/'s recommended game's list, its a really good catalog, the GB doesnt have many good games but the GBC has a whole bunch, you like rougelikes? try azure dreams, you like stealth games? try MGS/MG ghost babel (you really have to play it, it really is the best 2D MG game, it even comes with VR missions that are a demake of the ones in the VR missions expansion pack for the original MGS and multiplayer), like platformers? super mario land 2 with the DX patch and rayman on the GBC are FANTASTIC, shooters? elevator action DX is the best game in the series (except old and new on the GBA, but thats JP exclusive, the GBC one didnt even come out on the US, well, it did, but as a dexter's laboratory game).

as for the emulation, its nothing new, its cool that it comes built in, but NES games will never look good on the DS screen resolution, much less on the GBA's, thats why the offcial nintendo carts with NES classics look squished

BTW, if you like RPGs at all you should try pokemon, i played yellow last month and it was nice, it wont be the best game ever but its aged surprisingly well

¿If i like roguelike games? Man, i often play to my NDS copy of Mystery dungeon Shiren the wanderer in my lite ;).

I played Metal gear GB too, but this in emulator. Elevator action saga, i have the gba version rom, but the splendid one is in Saturn.

I will give it a try to all your advice :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Talk about propaganda.