We don't need Xbox 720, Xbox 360 is good enough

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
In an interview conducted by the Xbox Community Network (XCN), Bulletstorm's Creative Director Adrian Chmielarz talks about how the Xbox 360's limitations now, some five years down the road does affect development and what they can do - something which he believes is an answer you'd see mirrored across the board, and one that's ever present.

When asked 'Five years since Xbox 360 appeared on the market...do you feel that the hardware is stopping you from doing what you'd like?' he said, "Yes, but any developer in the world will ALWAYS say that, no matter what. We could have 128 GB of RAM and it still won't be enough." He went on to add, "Seriously, though, it feels pretty good making games on Xbox 360. As you can see with the exclusive titles like Halo and Gears or multiplatform titles like Bulletstorm, the quality is high enough not to feel any pressure for the next generation. People like the current gen, and I think we still have a lot of room for exploration."

Adrian's candid remarks do seem to be obvious, since as pointed out it's been five years since the Xbox 360 released, and during that time hardware capabilities have improved as well as the cost in producing the products. But it's interesting that he suggests the market is content with what's happening now, even if it's not as current as it could be simply due to the design of consoles in general. PC gamers can experience the most cutting edge graphics with upgrades to their graphics components, whereas console gamers get stuck with out of date technology. However, what this does mean is, developers will spend more time trying to squeeze the most out of the uniform workings of a console which in terms of an innovative approach is positive.

On the flip side, a lot of gamers do care about graphics, and once the gap begins to widen further from the PC market, it will mark a time for change and a new console in their minds. If developers are also expressing a desire for better hardware, then this should spur console manufacturers into moving forward with their products, or at least we hope so.[/p]
icon11.gif
Source

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"On the flip side, a lot of gamers do care about graphics"

Which is retarded.

Anyways, we don't need the next Xbox console for a long time. Another 4-5.. maybe 6 years. It can easily last as long as the PS3 which has a 10 year plan from Sony.

DryYoshi

Love child of Dry Bones and Yoshi
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
ShadowSoldier said:
"On the flip side, a lot of gamers do care about graphics"

Which is retarded.

Anyways, we don't need the next Xbox console for a long time. Another 4-5.. maybe 6 years. It can easily last as long as the PS3 which has a 10 year plan from Sony.
I agree, graphics aren't everything (sometimes they're nothing).
And I don't want to buy a new console yet, so they should wait. Also, today's consoles are gonna last longer than the N64 and PSX apparently.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't want so much as a vague hint from Microsoft that they're going to release another system until they can fix the 360 cooking itself.

ineap09

Trophies
XP
Country
Guyana
I feel the Xbox 360 and PS3 are good for while still, but I also feel the Wii really needs an upgrade soon. Maybe it's just 'cause I haven't gotten the component cables for it yet, but It's hard to read even basic text on the Wii because the graphics are so bad.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thesolcity said:
I don't want so much as a vague hint from Microsoft that they're going to release another system until they can fix the 360 cooking itself.

They did. Before the S model, all the newer models up to that point pretty much solved it. The Jasper models were a huuuge improvement to. I'd say right now, the margin between Xbox RROD and PS3 YLOD is very small.

QUOTEI feel the Xbox 360 and PS3 are good for while still, but I also feel the Wii really needs an upgrade soon. Maybe it's just 'cause I haven't gotten the component cables for it yet, but It's hard to read even basic text on the Wii because the graphics are so bad.

I agree. Hell, when I had the Wii in the following February after launch, I bought Twilight Princess. And I played it on my big tv. I didn't have component cables, but everything looked just fine. Then I played it on a smaller TV, it was so fucking hard to read text. It also doesn't help when developers are deliberately developing their game to basically require the component cables.

Thesolcity

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
Thesolcity said:

They did. Before the S model, all the newer models up to that point pretty much solved it. The Jasper models were a huuuge improvement to. I'd say right now, the margin between Xbox RROD and PS3 YLOD is very small.

QUOTEI feel the Xbox 360 and PS3 are good for while still, but I also feel the Wii really needs an upgrade soon. Maybe it's just 'cause I haven't gotten the component cables for it yet, but It's hard to read even basic text on the Wii because the graphics are so bad.

I agree. Hell, when I had the Wii in the following February after launch, I bought Twilight Princess. And I played it on my big tv. I didn't have component cables, but everything looked just fine. Then I played it on a smaller TV, it was so fucking hard to read text. It also doesn't help when developers are deliberately developing their game to basically require the component cables.

Not true, my cousin had an RROD on his 360 slim. :/

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thesolcity said:
ShadowSoldier said:
Thesolcity said:

The XBOX 360 Slim doesn't have lights.
unsure.gif

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Warrior522 said:
The "official" term is the Red Dot of Death...
Personally I think it's just idiots who get RRoDs on their Xbox 360s. I've had two in the past two years and haven't had it yet. You just need proper ventilation around the console and take a damn break by shutting the console off every few hours.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thesolcity said:
ShadowSoldier said:
Thesolcity said:

I didn't say it was eliminated all together. That's impossible to achieve.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thesolcity said:
ShadowSoldier said:
Thesolcity said:

no he had an overheating warning

the system shut down and a blinking red light started and continued until the system fully cooled down
it should work fine after the cool down period

Thesolcity

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
Thesolcity said:
ShadowSoldier said:
Thesolcity said:

I didn't say it was eliminated all together. That's impossible to achieve.

On a side note, its irritating you can't upgrade the fan to a more "suitable" one without getting banhammered, it was a relatively cheap thing to fix too, I've never seen a wii overheat. (Hurr thats because wiis can't run at the same sheer power as the 360 Durrrr)

I don't care, you CAN fix it, it was cheap to fix (Pennies trick, better soldering, basic knowledge of fans and airflow? In all honesty the pennies trick wasn't practical, but they could've used the same basis) and even if they just maybe fixed it *somewhat?* with the new console its been wayyyy too long. Even the Jasper chipset fried itself constantly. Yes my cousin's properly ventilated short of leaning it out the damn window, and who doesn't spend some weekends up all night playing vidya? That's how my cousin got it, not by being hooked to it all week (He had school), but by playing it all night on *some* not all weekends.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn