We are in the process of suing Sony for 3.56

Discussion in 'PS3 - Games & Content' started by chonka, Feb 12, 2011.

Feb 12, 2011
  1. chonka
    OP

Newcomer chonka Member

Australia
    We are in the process of suing Sony for 3.56

"Some of you may have had your PS3 system bricked by update/virus 3.56 from Sony. So have hundreds of others. Read about it on the Sony forums here: http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Tec...2309619/page/65

We are currently preparing a class action lawsuit against Sony. A petition will be available on that forum and Facebook shortly. Stay tuned."

2. antwill

Member antwill Better Than You

Australia
    This thread is hilarious. They said they were going to sue Sony after they removed OtherOS, look where that went...

3. Oveneise

Member Oveneise GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    How is this funny at ALL? But, is it really true that $ony released a virus on their system?

EDIT: Corrupted after "swap HD"? Doesn't swapping your HD void your warranty? :/ The info given here is pretty vague... Sounds like it corrupted the HD, not brick the system....

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The PS3 harddrive is user-replaceable and the act is supported by Sony.

5. ferdi-t

Member ferdi-t GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Pointless. When your PS3 gets bricked by no fault of your own, then the retailer or Sony will replace it free of charge. You're already getting that what you want, so what's the point in suing? Claiming emotional damage? That's quite ridiculous.

6. antwill

Member antwill Better Than You

Australia
    Because it was their fault for hacking it no doubt.

7. chonka
    OP

Newcomer chonka Member

Australia
    hacking? lol um these are sony customers that updated to 3.56, from what i recall 'hackers' all stayed on 3.55? maybe you asume they are hackers since this is posted on gbatemp??

for a little more info, the 3.56 OFW gets installed to nand. Well on the consoles with only 16mb nand then only a portion of the update is installed on nand and the rest on the hdd (the ps3 with 256mb nand are not affected), since there is a bug in 3.56, when a new hdd is installed the system will ask for 3.56 update file so it can install the REST of 3.56 to the new hdd.

The bug (now on the ps3 nand) however will not recognize the update file and simply spits out a 'data corrupted' error. Sony without any annoucement slipped out a silent 3.56v2 BUT if the user has no original hdd to roll back onto his ps3 is rendered useless, since 3.56v2 only fixes the bug if you can install via xmb

YES I did look, and it went, well i should say is still going here -->
    http://dockets.justia.com/docket/californi...cv01811/226894/

and also 3.00fw problems settled out of court here -->
    http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/distr...4701/220200/61/

8. ferdi-t

Member ferdi-t GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    You say 'likely'. Are you making an assumption, or is it a fact that your ps3 bricked and Sony refused to replace it? If so: could you post a scan of the refusal?

9. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Guys, at least click the damn link he posted before commenting.

Seriously.

10. synce

Member synce だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん

United States
    Ah suing a major company, it's but a tiny part of the American dream. Sadly for you guys I don't think this case has any merit. Sony took away features from the PS3 and got away with it, so what's a few bricks or some data corruption considering you agreed to the update TOS? This isn't like Disc Read Error or RROD

11. chonka
    OP

Newcomer chonka Member

Australia
    why dont people read :| otherOS case is in the courts, TOS are not laws and dont always hold up in court especially when a company is negligent

again if you read - a similar case involving ofw 3.00 has been settled out of court. This case for 3.56 has many many more users effected.

YES i have a 'bricked' ps3 due to this bug
    YES it is out of warranty
    YES i have rang sony about the issue (so far 6 times and 2 emails)
    NO they have not officially refused to repair my ps3 but have so far procrastinated severly, from denying the issue exists, to assuring me of an answer in 24hrs for which i had not recieved a return call after 1andhalf weeks, many others HAVE been told they will need to pay for repair.
    NO my ps3 was not hacked, why would i be on 3.56 if it was??

the main (yes there are many in all countries/languages) thread has now past 680 posts, this is not a 'few bricks' it is a serious software bug being - THAT THE FIRMWARE PORTION STORED ON PS3 NAND DOES NOT RECOGNISE THE OFFICIAL PS3UPDAT.PUP ON STORAGE MEDIA MAKING INITIATION OF THE HDD IMPOSSIBLE