1. obcd

obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Belgium
    You probably wan't like it, but the advice I am giving is "Use another harddisk" Those western digital passport drives are crap.

I purchased 2 of them for my wii (not wiiu) and never managed to get them working properly.
    After that, I used a cheap external harddrive enclosure with a laptop harddrive in it and never had any problems with that.

The WD passport drives have the drive controller pcb (normally with a sata connector) exchanged for a version with an usb interface.
    They have the famous spindown problem and don't seem to allow to switch it off properly.
    They try to create a partition with the software on it to decrypt the harddisk contents.
    When you connect them to a xp pc, they will request for the installation of a driver...

I know there are several people saying WD passport drives work fine.
    The problem is WD keeps changing the electronics but never changes the name of the device.
    So my WD passport could use a complete different chipset than yours. Some even aren't usb 3.0 but just 2.0.

The general advice given is correct. Use fat32 instead of wbfs. Modern cios and usb loaders work fine with that and it's easier to transfer games as windows and linux natively support it.
    Use an Y cable to ensure the drive get's enough current to spin up properly.
    Usb 3.0 drives shouldn't need more power than usb 2.0 drives.
    The 0.5 Amps an usb can deliver (in theory) simply is on the low side for a harddrive.

Usually posting this results in people posting they use a WD passport without problem, and saying I shouldn't blame that device....
    Just google for those drives and see how linux users feel about it....

WarMachine77 likes this.
  2. WarMachine77

OP WarMachine77 GBAtemp Regular

United States

Not to sound like an ass, but I was told that the power was different, as evidenced by the fact that I need a y cable in the first place, and by the fact that I can't simply plug it in. So, by saying it's the same, you're pretty much contradicting everybody here lol, unless I'm missing something.

3. WarMachine77

United States
    Sorry to bump, but yes, see, this doesn't make sense, and I'm out another $10 if this is in fact the case (the 3.0 Y-cable suggested has not come in yet).

It is this one;

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=cae95cdc7ee45fbf3833ed4a584f6998en02

but from what I understand the combined total will not deliver 1 amp, due to the lack of power =/

4. obcd

Belgium
    To my knowledge, on wiiu, the Y cable is not only needed for usb 3.0 external harddrives but also for usb 2.0 external harddrives that don't have their own power supply. The thing needing the current is not the electronics but the disc motor.

I wrote that in theory, an usb host should be able to deliver 0.5A (5V). Some devices don't check the current passing trough one port, but simply check the current passing trough 2 usb ports or even 4. The Wiiu seems to check the consumption on every of it's ports, so it needs an Y cable to deliver enough current for an usb powered harddrive. The low cost eminent enclosure I am using now comes standard with an Y cable in the box. It costs 16 euro. If you add the price for a sata laptop harddrive, it won't be much more expensive than your WD passport drive.

So, I did not disagree about the Y cable. You will need one on the wiiu (you didn't needed it on the wii)

I do disagree about the usb 3.0 female to usb 2.0 male connectors, since a 3.0 connector plugged in a 2.0 socket will only have the 2.0 signals connected. So the device will know that it can only communicate at usb 2.0 speeds. The adapter doesn't add any value to that.

And I also disagree about the fact that an y cable will solve your problems, but would be happy to hear that I am wrong. On my wii, the western digital passport drive simply never worked properly. An identical setup with my eminent enclosure and sata drive worked fine.

Things could be different on the wiiu, but since the software used to control the usb ports is identical, I doubt they will.

Some improvements were made to the cios to fix some of the drive issues. As homebrew (besides usb loaders) doesn't use cios,
    I never tested again recently.

You might not need 1Amp to get the harddrive going. My laptop harddrive is rated at 0.55Amps. To make things more complicated, harddisks usually need more current when the motor starts spinning. Once the platters are rotating at their normal speed, they act as a flywheel, so the needed current can go down a little.

WarMachine77 likes this.
  5. adrenochrome

adrenochrome Advanced Member
    Newcomer

France
    WarMachine77
    dont forget to check this important point :

first check your usb3 hd on a computer, does it have an extra undeletable partition including a software named like "WDsmartware" , if yes you'll have to get ride of it (there are tools for this)

WarMachine77 likes this.
  6. WarMachine77

United States

This actually makes sense, and I'm going to cancel the purchase for the USB 3.0 Y-Cable. It might seem like a nominal cost, but I just built a computer.

Hopefully, I won't be posting much in regards to this anymore, but I'm going to return the WD Passport (for all the headaches it's given me regarding this) and just get this;

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=0fa7ba9bf724bbd5180aa1868094bed5en02

Will this work with this enclosure and in turn will all of this work on the Wii U with a USB 2.0 Y-Cable;

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=ed5b045b18eb728f3226a234d2055009en02

Thank you all for being very patient; I've just given up on the notion of getting this working.

7. obcd

Belgium
    The harddrive looks fine. The proposed enclosure seems to be one with it's own power supply. Such enclosures don't need an Y cable as the supply provides the current to get the drive spinning. It's an usb 3.0 compatible enclosure. Maybe the situation has changed with the wiiu, but on the wii, simple usb 2.0 external enclosures seemed to give the best compatibility. I use an eminent 2.5 inch enclosure. It comes without it's own supply, but the Y cable is delivered standard with it. It costs approx. 16 euro which is cheaper than the one you propose. If yours would work on the wiiu, it has the advantage that it can use usb 3.0 speeds if your pc has such ports. It seems to be an enclosure for a 3.5 inch normal pc drive and not a 2.5 inch laptop drive.

8. WarMachine77

United States
    Yo.

No undeletable partition.
    Using that EXACT wire, I've hooked it up after Formatting it with EASEUS in FAT32 32KB clusters.

Nothing. Same situation as before. I was trying to cancel it but they already shipped it out.

Hmm...I may need more detail

9. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
  10. WarMachine77

United States
    Sorry, I just did this..since you seem to be one of the only people that I know of that has purchased this model, I was hoping you could elaborate.

Am I formatting in 32 KB clusters or..?

Because it didn't detect it at all in USB Loader GX, but recognizes it on the Wii U upon boot up. Do I need to use Configurable Loader instead?

11. Swift Fox

Swift Fox Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    What OriginalHamster was saying is that did you tried the one (Bottom or if that doesn't work, try top? Wii used bottom however) of the two ports in the back of your Wii U console? Wii doesn't have two extra USB ports in the front like Wii U (that's why your USB showed up in Wii U but not in Wii).

12. WarMachine77

United States
    I've figured it out with the USB 3.0 Y Cable! It was a solution within Windows Disk Management and using WBFS. Thanks for all the help! I will post a tutorial soon (just in case anybody buys this HD, the technology for the other one is dying out)

13. NapalmOmega

NapalmOmega Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    What did you do in disk management? I'm in the same situation

14. TheChield

TheChield Ugly Troll

France
    I used this disk for a friend and it works very well.
    Just an Y cable and fat32 fs. For the formating, I used paragon partitions manager I bought a long time ago for recovery purpose.
    Any kind of software should work.
    But, maybe a stupid question, can't usbloaders format disk the first time when the disk is recognized ?

15. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight
    Former Staff

France
    There's a format option in USBLoaderGX but only in WBFS format.
    There's probably a format function in the FAT and NTFS libraries, but it's not used in USBGX. I don't know about wiiflow/CFG.

16. TheChield

TheChield Ugly Troll

France
    Well, then format the disc in WBFS, rip a game and convert with WBFStoFat !
    USB Loader GX must be able to detect and format the disc whatever the current FS is.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - resolving, PASSPORT, Loader