Hacking WD My Passport Essentials clicking, drive not recognised

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
First off, I've posted this here as the drive is used primarily for Wiiflow. I used WBM yesterday, and all seemed fine, but when I plugged it back in to my Wii the loader doesn't recognise it. I then noticed that the drive was making 10 clicks after the Wii was turned. I'm kinda prepared to hear that it's shagged, just a bit miffed at some of the info that could be lost.

I know I'm clutching at straws, but is there any software or "tricks" that could get this working (aside from the "freezer" one)?

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
In my computer repair class I use to go by this saying a lot: "If the Hard Drive clicks, it ain't worth dick."

Saved me a great headache in troubleshooting in the long run. Sorry to tell you, your HDD has just shit the proverbial bed.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
The drive ain't worth dick but the info is. Might have to get a data recovery expert on it

If you are really desperate to get the info on it, you may try sticking it in the freezer for a few minutes and then plug it in. Not much else you can do. You can pay for data recovery, but it's expensive. You won't get more than a few minutes at a time with the freezer trick, but it's better than nothing.

bazamuffin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Just found a company that does recovery for £97 fixed price, not bad compared to most. They list what they can recover before you pay so you know what you're getting, and if they don't recover all that they say they can you get a full refund

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
HDD regenerator can be found in Hiren Boot CD. It has a 50/50 chance of either busting your HDD or fixing it so you can recover your data then throw it into a bin

A HDD with the same symptoms came here not too long ago, and yeah, was pretty much screwed.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Classic crash...
Had the same type of Drive crashed 2 time before.
Although the surface of the drive maybe damaged there could be a way to get it to boot...
Try holding the drive to your ear and give it a quick twist so the drive inside itself turns ( you can hear it turn )
If it's stuck it stops instanly, if it's turns it maybe able to boot.
Also slapping might help. (nothing to lose right? )
If it loose but will not boot, it could be a faulty servo..in that case it's fried...
It's not a solution but, it may help you recover your files.....

Good luck.

First off, I've posted this here as the drive is used primarily for Wiiflow. I used WBM yesterday, and all seemed fine, but when I plugged it back in to my Wii the loader doesn't recognise it. I then noticed that the drive was making 10 clicks after the Wii was turned. I'm kinda prepared to hear that it's shagged, just a bit miffed at some of the info that could be lost.

I know I'm clutching at straws, but is there any software or "tricks" that could get this working (aside from the "freezer" one)?

EDIT, this also happened 2 times to me With WBM..Did you remove games with WBM?

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why use WBM to remove wbfs files? (unless your hdd is formated with a wbfs partition). ntfs an fat32 you can just right click/delete. the only time i use WBM is to change from ios to wbfs.. an this is 1 reason why i never formated to wbfs.
hope you get it fixed. have you tried disk managment? to try an pick the harddrive up, you could have a bad sector. even then it would still need to be reformated. but it might beable to get some data off it if this works (had my brothers harddrive do this one time before)

bazamuffin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
I was adding a file (.iso 4.37gb) so while I was there I removed a game. I prefer to use the manager that I used to install the iso to remove them as well. NEVER had a problem with WBM until this point

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I was adding a file (.iso 4.37gb) so while I was there I removed a game. I prefer to use the manager that I used to install the iso to remove them as well. NEVER had a problem with WBM until this point

Sorry to let you know but I have had problems a few times. I never remove games again via WBM. I think somtimes it acts up.
Just recently I lost about 70% of all my games that way. WBM managed to screw something up in my wbfs folder....
Everytime I plugged it in WBM said some games were invalid.

If you are on a wbfs partition, good luck!

Cilph

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I doubt WBM can demolish a harddrive when it's just using standard read/write routines available by the OS.

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt WBM can demolish a harddrive when it's just using standard read/write routines available by the OS.
there have been many post with WBM messing up harddrives (fragmenting the info). to me this is one reason why loaders an others are moving away from wbfs format, an moving on to ntfs/fat32. fat32 impo is a more stable the either but each to his own.

bazamuffin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay

Sorry to let you know but I have had problems a few times. I never remove games again via WBM. I think somtimes it acts up.
Just recently I lost about 70% of all my games that way. WBM managed to screw something up in my wbfs folder....
Everytime I plugged it in WBM said some games were invalid.

If you are on a wbfs partition, good luck!

Nah mate, it was a FAT32 partition, moved away from WBFS a looooooong time ago. I've come to accept that its fucked, won't be buying a WD for my next one. The middle child has my old Buffalo 120gb (WBFS) and its still fighting on, and he batters it. Will probably go for a 500gb Buffalo on my next one. Thanks for all the replies guys

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb