WD My Passport Essential 2.5" 500GB

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by misterzeb, Oct 12, 2009.

Oct 12, 2009
  1. misterzeb
    OP

Newcomer misterzeb Member

Brazil
    (USB Loader-related question)

On the wiki, the Western Digital My Passport Essential 2.5" 500GB External HDD is the best one in its category.
    But the link (to amazon.de) points to the "old" model, with model number WDME5000TE
    The new model seems identical - and a tad cheaper, but it has a different model number: WDBAAA5000ABK-EESN.
    I'd like to be sure it's as compatible with the USB Loader as the old one, before taking any decision [​IMG]

Thanks for your help! Google hasn't been my friend this time...

2. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Anyone help this person out?

3. Danny600kill

Member Danny600kill xD

United Kingdom
    You'd think they would both be compatible as they are just different versions of the same hardrive, but al have a look round and see what i can dig up.

4. alsproject

Newcomer alsproject Newbie

United Kingdom
    I just got the new version a couple of days ago and I think it will not work as the firmware of the drive uses 500mb of drive space for a virtual cd drive.

You cannot delete the partition and it also asks you to install an extra driver.

Avoid the new drive at all costs!

Do a Google search for "remove WD Smartware" to see the problems people have with the new range of drives

5. misterzeb
    OP

Brazil
    Geez, that's good to know! Thanks [​IMG]

I'll check it as soon as I can, but if anyone else has things to add in the meantime (like personal experience), please do it.

6. leavemealone347

Member leavemealone347 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have the newer one and it works perfectly!

7. vettacossx

Member vettacossx Wii Theme Team Founder

Ireland
    the 320 WD passport, 500 and 1000 gig ( 1tb) essentials models ALL WORK they all have there own power supply and no spindown issues and i have tested and own all those models I LOVE BOOKS! best Hdd's for the price you cant go wrong and walmart has the 1000 gig on sale for just over 100$ USD everyday price 2! [​IMG]

MORE OVER i have a 1 tb 2nd partitioned Half fat 32 (for emulator roms,triiforce,mp3,avi videos,and other FAT 32 related mounts)
    Then the first partition WAS also fat 32 (use the official WD FAT 32 FORMAT UTILITY) and made into a WBFS drive by formatting it with the WBFS MANAGER 3.0

8. damnesiac

Newcomer damnesiac Member

Australia
    The "my book" have a powersupply, the "my passport" are 2.5" drives and no power supply, they are comepletely different. They do NOT ALL WORK, as the new drives can have problems since people have stated they are having problems with them working.

9. leavemealone347

Member leavemealone347 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have the new drives but 320GB and it works perfectly.

EDIT: I do have that WD Smartware but it causes no problem, that partition is invisible to the Wii, you just format the larger partition with WBFS and its all the same.

10. misterzeb
    OP

Brazil
    Difficult to make a decision... Do you think the wiki should be updated to reflect what's been said here, or not?

[EDIT] I decided to take the old model, in the end ^^