WB's Shadow of War removes all in-game purchases, goes microtransaction-free

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jul 17, 2018.

Front-page
    IMG_9943.JPG

When Warner Bros. released Shadow of War in October of last year, the game launched with multiple kinds of microtransactions. Players could buy equippable gear and orcs, as well as lootboxes, all with real currency. While the game didn't lock any of its major content behind a paywall, fans found themselves disappointed by the extra grind required if you didn't pay up. The game, while favored by players and critics, found itself amidst controversy shortly after it released, further fueled especially after following EA's Battlefront II ire.

Presumably due to the negative perception of the game, publisher WB announced back in April that all microtransactions would be removed from the game at a later date. And now, as of today, it's happened. All purchases that could be made with real money have been taken out of Shadow of War.

For those that made in-game purchases and have leftover digital currency in Shadow of War, they'll be compensated with high level lootboxes to open, which have rare items in them. Developer Monolith Productions made the following statement regarding the removal.

Discussion (26 replies)
  1. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Aiight then. A half assed reason, but a good choice.

2. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Do we dare hope that the industry has actually learned from its lootbox crazed mistakes?

3. nonamejohn

nonamejohn GBAtemp Regular

Jul 23, 2014
    United States
    Lol, trying to revive sales ? It should have been this way from the beginning.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

They will never learn. "Casuals" will still buy in mass. This is borderline pandering for more sales, nothing more.

damiano2712 and Attila13 like this.
  4. LittleFlame

LittleFlame I was way off, you guys suck

Jan 30, 2015
    Netherlands
    The Death Road to Canada
    at least they're doing something now

5. SuperDan

SuperDan Im Aware ... Im Unaware

Aug 17, 2016
    United States
    Londoner , Living In Louisiana ...
    Impressive move ...

6. gamecaptor

gamecaptor R.I.P. Densetsu. Legends never die!

GBAtemp Patron
    gamecaptor is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 22, 2004
    United States
    Hyrule most of the time
    NOW I'm going to get into this game!

7. hamohamo

hamohamo GBAtemp Regular

Jan 16, 2017
    micro transactions should be banned from any game unless it's less than 10 bucks. and there should be a limit and rules (unless maybe if it's free)

8. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    Fuck lootboxes.
    Glad they removed it even tho I don't play the game.

9. SaiTheOHaireDeliveryGuy

SaiTheOHaireDeliveryGuy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2017
    United States
    Why anyone would want to buy Orcs and Uruks is beyond me. The fun of these games for me was always to brand the ones I encountered, and level them up in the Pit.

10. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Honestly just another retarded non-troversy where people whined over nothing.

The microtransactions were effectively just there for people with more money than time. The game didn't really lock away anything, and the grind to get equal orcs and gear was fine. They essentially preyed on ADHD monkeys who want everything right now without effort, or desire to arbitrarily be the best before everyone. I'm perfectly fine with that.

I imagine this is just a PR stunt because the game has been out for long enough that they've sufficiently milked them enough to hit a quota, and they've likely dropped way off in frequency. This little announcement gets their game back in the news to catch some more sales. Pretty smart.

11. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal GBAtemp Guru

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    Oh, neat!

12. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ definitely not Lilith

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    I really hope the rest of the game industry follows. Microtransactions and lootboxes have no place in non-free games.

13. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Screw the industry. it's the people that actually paid for that shit that needed to learn their lesson, if they stopped, the industry wouldn't have fed into it,

zeveroth likes this.
  14. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    The problem is that game prices haven't adjusted for inflation. This causes publishers to implement schemes like loot-boxes and day one on-disc DLC to offset this. It's pretty late to change it abruptly now, but I think a steady price increase in games over the next few years would reduce these practices considerably.

Wrathcaster likes this.
  15. MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness Deliverator

GBAtemp Patron
    MarkDarkness is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 17, 2009
    Poland
    More likely they will continue having these microtransactions together with the elevated price. It would not make sense to do otherwise, because the microtransaction model has proven very successful. One game or another become the sacrificial lambs that have to die, but on the overall, it brings in a lot of money. It's normal risk-reward for businesses. These plagues that destroy gaming are probably here to stay.

16. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal GBAtemp Guru

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    Eh, frankly I don't mind them much if they are done like CSGO does them, just for cosmetics.

17. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    It depends entirely on individual sales. I think this did poorly in sales up until they announced this removal of MTX would be happening, so it kinda forced their hand.

18. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ definitely not Lilith

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    Microtransations won't make up for a bad game. If a game is bad, then they should give out free updates to make it better. At the same time, they won't make a game sell any better, especially if they do what this game and Battlefront 2 did.
    I wish people would stop using this argument because it's same argument that got us into this mess in the first place. This compliant argument only allows them to keep pushing it and slowly conditioning us to accept their shit. "It's just cosmetics," "It's just a few guns," "It's only optional features," they want people to keep saying this until they get their end goal, which was Battlefront 2. That's the kind of game these companies want to make, a game that is completely unplayable until you pay for the "optional features" and "optional characters." You are basically feeding them every time you accept this excuse.

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, Jul 18, 2018
    Subtle Demise likes this.
  19. Ritsuki

Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Mar 15, 2008
    Switzerland
    Funny, I didn't even know that there was micro transactions in this game, but like @Hells Malice said, it's barely a controversy. It's just like with Deus Ex, if the game is fully playable, what is the problem? (although for Deus Ex, it was a shame that some of the items could be used only in one playthrough)

I understand that it can be a problem with multiplayer games if it's not balanced, but otherwise I can't see the problem with it. To be honest, if I could pay to access end game content in some MMO, or to make grinding faster and easier I would do it, I love MMOs but I don't have time to play seriously. But again, it's a matter of balance.

Last edited by Ritsuki, Jul 18, 2018
    zeveroth likes this.