Hacking WBFS (.WBFS) Files to WBFS Manager Drive

blackacidevil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Basically, Im not going to ask or give anyone common FAQ questions, I do try everything I know possible before I ask for help.

I have .WBFS files on my system (Windows) the C: drive (in other words, its an NTFS partition, not a DRIVE I use for loading backups)

I got these .wbfs files, not in the format of ISO's.

WBFS Manager 3.0 Im able to use wii xxxxx.iso and transfer them to the drive and it converts it to the wbfs file system and bang the game works everything good.

So Im pretty confused, if I got files in WBFS format "Crazygame.wbfs" on a NTFS partition. (Yes this is possible to have a wbfs file on an NTFS partiiton)

WBFS manager 3.0 you can only import ISO's. So as I believe Im pretty confident I understand all this, and dont consider myself a noob. That when you transfer ISO's to the drive trhough WBFS manager. That they would convert to WBFS files on the usb storage device.

So question is, it seems a bit silly to me that I would have to convert WBFS files to ISO (via a program), then get WBFS manager to recongize the ISO files converted from WBFS,. Then ISO to WBFS (to the drive).

Kk lets hear the answers.

Edit : I used ISO and WBFS a lot of times, so Ill clarify for the smart ones to understand what i mean, here goes

on NTFS part :

crazygame.wbfs

(cant be read via WBFS manager/ Reason it cant be, is because WBFS Manager 3.0 supports rar, iso file name extensions)

my assumptions and I really doubt are wrong. Is that WBFS manager recongizes ISO files (which are obviously DVD or CD images of that media type to use to make duplicate copies of a DVD/CD. ISO is an industry standard, which means you can burn any file system / etc using an ISO file. ANd RAR is a compresser, (RAR is like ZIP, but the program rar has the ability to open a lot of other extensions and ones from BSD or Linux/Unix file systems)

as a programmer, I would have to add to my program, support to read native "ISO" and "RAR" files, and tell the program how to conver them to WBFS file extension to move to a usb storage device (in a WBFS partition, which cant be read by Windows, so Im not able to dump the files to the drive)

So why on earth would I have to take WBFS files (crazygame1.wbfs) convert it to crazygame.iso .. Then use WBFS manager to add it to my USB mass storage device , which then converts it to WBFS.

Ok thanks and I'd love to hear something

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
(this'll be hard to explain...sorry if it doesn't sound right, is unclear or even plain wrong)

Well...I think your double conversion (.wbfs -> .iso -> to wbfs partition) is the way to go if you insist on using wbfs manager.

WBFS is a file system. It's basically a way to format data, just like FAT32, NTFS and others. Wii discs are formatted in WBFS, and as such, can't normally be read by DVD-drives. The format was cracked, though, and as such, it became possible to format your drive in that very file system.

A .iso-file is a basic image of all the raw data that's on the disc. WBFS manager is a program that basically serves as a way to copy-paste your iso into the WBFS drive.

Thus far, things were pretty simple. You had an iso and you used WBFS manager to prepare your drive AND to fill it with games.
However, not that long ago (about 5 months back), a few smart guys figured out that if you changed the way USB loaders worked a bit, it could read the wii games (almost) directly off of the basic .iso image. And as such read the image directly from FAT32 or NTFS-formatted drives. It required some updates from the loaders and a few tweaks on the image, but the result was pretty nice. Those tweaked images were the .wbfs files (it was called like that because the data therein is still exactly the same as it would be within the wbfs-format).

To my knowledge, WBFS manager wasn't updated to reflect those changes. It can't handle .wbfs files. You could reformat your WBFS drive into a FAT32 one and simply copy-paste your files directly in a \wbfs folder and play your game.
Alternatively, there are tools that can convert it back into .iso file. I don't know for sure, but I think wii game manager can do both...and perhaps get your "unusable" .wbfs file(s) converted directly into a game on your WBFS-drive.
smile.gif

Reactions: 1 person

blackacidevil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks

That was an excellent reply, I didnt think of that ( a modified USB loader ) hence why games could or are dumped in wbfs format ..

Thanks that was really interesting and thanks for spending the time

PraneethMv

Trophies
XP
Country
India
Is there a 64-bit version of Wii Backup Manager for Windows 10? Donno why, but i cant run the application. And as far as Wii Game Manager, it does not add any .wbfs file nor show something.!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Tattle-tale :creep: