WBFS to Fat32/NTSC and Huge Difference in Copy Speeds

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by bzlai, Jun 9, 2010.

1. bzlai
    OP

Newcomer bzlai Member

United States
    I use WBFS since it was originally the only filesystem the loaders could read and now I started reading about how they added support for NTFS and FAT32.
    The other day my uncle came over so I could mod his Wii and I decided to test the differences.
    For some reason while I did a drive to drive copy with Wii Backup Manager, the speed it copied at was 2.69MB/s for FAT32 and 17.6MB/s for NTSC from my WBFS hard drive.
    Can someone explain to me if copying to FAT32 is supposed to be that slow or is it something I'm doing wrong?

2. Toughschmidt

Newcomer Toughschmidt Member

United States
    I am backing up from WBFS to Fat32 right now. Aside from having to juggle between the 3.3 and 3.5b versions of Wii Backup Manager due to compatibility issues, my WBFS to Fat32 transfer speed averaged 40 MB/s. Both drives were directly connected to the MoBo via SATA.

3. 9th_Sage

Member 9th_Sage GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I can say that I've never had any real difference in copying speed.

4. ClockWorK

Member ClockWorK GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Did you actually time it, or was this transfer rate listed in Wii Backup Manager? It's possible that the program is using 4.3gig as it's 'size' in the calculations with NTFS (because the files are 4.3gig sparse files), whereas FAT32 uses files that only amount to the actual scrubbed size?

5. bzlai
    OP

Newcomer bzlai Member

United States
    The hard drives I used were external USB hard drives and I was copying from a normal hard drive that was in an enclosure to one of those small sized hard drives you can fit into your pocket that didn't have a power cord. And I'm sure that the transfer rate listed in the Wii Backup Manager is correct because it takes significantly longer while copying to FAT32 than NTFS. I have also tried this on Wii Game Manager v1.5.

6. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    maybe the fat was badly fragmented or the drive itself was just slow
    try comparing the times of copying something else