Hacking WBFS partition size and game count limit

morgoth123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I used ncWBFSTool to format a 1.5 TB partiton to WBFS and it didnt complain..does this mean that size is supported and should work fine?
Any replies telling me where do I need to use a 1.5 TB WBFS partition for are besides the point and not usefull and do not answer my question.
I just happen to have a 1.5 TB USB drive and its good to be prepared for the future and i won't use any remaining space anyway.
It's just nice to have plenty of space so i'm really curious about the size limit..is there some hardcoded size limit for a WBFS partition or only in some WBFS manager tools and/or Wii backup loaders so it may differ depending on what you use?
And what about a game count limit? If there exist such a size or count limit what would be beeded to "upgrade" it in general? Where would adjustments need to be made? So in what kinda tools? Thanks for any answers.

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
should be fine, i think a WBFS partition can be up to 2TB i think and most USB Loaders can support more than 500 games per partition now, CFG for one

morgoth123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for the answer though it doesn't answer all my questions completely...this 500 game count limit sounds rather arbitrary..does this mean only the loader determines whether or not more than 500 games are supported? And does it support more than 500 games by a trick or "natively"? What exactly determines the 2TB size limit and the 500 games limit?

beav1s

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the limits are something that exist in the original wbfs implementation
recently efforts have been made to fix this, both by the config usb loader devs and user wiimm and his wbfs tool
wiimms tool here and config usb loader here
in b4 MOAR THAN 500 GAMES OMGWTF PIRATE

morgoth123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have a huge problem now.
I used ncWBFSTool to copy 301 wii games from a 700 GB WBFS partition at an 1 TB USB drive to a 1300 GB WBFS partition at a 1.5 TB USB drive.
The 1300 GB partition was newly made by ncWBFSTool as well. I got no errors whatsoever during this copy process.
However starting games from an usb loader doesnt work anymore..screen stays black. I tried both WiiFLow and USB Loader GX. Ofcourse this works fine for the original 1 TB drive.
The amount of space available to WBFS seems to be recognized correctly in USB Loader GX however the number of games isnt somehow..it says 269 games are installed where the number should be 301 so 32 games have gone "missing".
When i connect the 1.5 TB drive again to the pc ncWBFSTool now shows a number of 269 installed games. So it almost looks like mounting the usb drive on the wii for a first time and trying to run a game from an usb loader destroyed the WBFS filesystem somehow.
When i extract a game using ncWBFSTool (.wbi file) from the 1300 GB partition and compare it with an extracted .wbi file from the same game of the 700 GB partition both files differ and they dont even have the same size.
When i extract a game using ncWBFSTool (.iso file) from the 1300 GB partition and compare it with the original iso residing on HD both files have the same size but differ binairy.
When i extract a game using ncWBFSTool (.iso file) from the 700 GB partition and compare it with the original iso residing on HD both files have the same size but ALSO differ binairy.
Maybe it's normal for dumped iso's to differ binairy since lots of disc space is "dummy space" for a wii iso..I don't know this, could someone confirm if this is the case?
In any case i take it both extracted wbi files should be exactly the same and yet they arent (even the size is different).
So the most important question is: what could be wrong here and how can i solve it to run my backups from the 1.5 TB drive which is the thing that i want to do?

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
morgoth123 said:
So the most important question is: what could be wrong here and how can i solve it to run my backups from the 1.5 TB drive which is the thing that i want to do?
Many WBFS Managers apparently cause errors during transfer. Besides, a WBFS partition that big is virtually useless because of the game limit. My suggestion is to use the FAT32 storage option that Configurable USB Loader now provides. All you need to do is reformat the 1.5TB drive to FAT32, copy the games over with wbfs_file (instructions here) and then you're all good to go.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)