Hacking WBFS partition formatted with NTFS, recover possible?

Turboloader

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hello,
I've searched a lot of topics, but nothing helped.

What happened?
I (or windows itself) formatted my WBFS drive to NTFS.
As I know, the MFT and some small Datas have overwritten a small part of RAW data or WBFS data.
The partition size is known, cluster size not. (I hope that was 4096KiB)

Now I've tried WWT to recover/restore the partition, but no games are recognized...
I think that the data "were" the games are is gone, but the games are there.
(I don't know, how many games that are, I think over 80 -- some of them maybe corruptted through MFT/have been overwritten.)
I've tried the HEX method too, but it didn't help.

Have you any ideas?
Otherwise I have to live with it. I only need to know, if there is any chance, so I could make a "new" WBFS partition or restore the games.
Greetings

PS: My english isn't the best, german here
wink.gif

KiiNG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a buddy of mine sadly do this. I tried to use a handful of data recovery tools, FileSalvage (OSX) being the main thing I tried with, and it kept dumping errors at me about cluster size. In last attempts, the drive was reformatted back into WBFS. Ran FileSalvage again, it WAS able to recovery some the pieces, but none of the games would repair with WIT. Converting them back into ISO files had them falling short of a true ISO image. Converting them into .wbfs containers was a big mess. The ones that did convert successfully would not load.

Not the best response, but I failed in recovering files in this circumstance, too. Needless to say, he now has a FAT32 drive for his games, and learned a hard lesson.

Good luck, though.

Turboloader

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks for this reply, I had hope for recovering the games, but now I see, that it won't be.
I'll use FAT32 too, if I can or cannot recover the games.

As the Games are there in "RAW", I thougt there is a way, but the recovery in WBFS isn't that far that it can recover games without header info or disc place info.
FAT32 will be the only one I'll use. (NTFS is a little slower than FAT32, read that anywhere in the net.)
Greetz

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could just make a FAT32 partition on you drive instead of a a WBFS, trust me it's alot better as the other day i just converted due to my cIOS249 not loading any games after update though this problem occured quite some time ago i finally across the need of cios249rev20b. and after reading countless forums i found that FAT32 is better to run games on then WBFS and you can convert you .iso file games into a .wbfs which is the same format they would be on with your WBFS but for a FAT32 drive or partition.
The major pros is you can defrag the drive, use system recovery tools, and your not limited to space where as you can store other files on the drives besides just games and windows will never ask you to format!
The process is simple and actually saves you a couple of MBs then actually what the wbfs has.
First you want to download Wii Backup Manager from this gba forum http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=188295
Second Format the Drive to FAT32 with 32kb cluster size
Third Convert .ISO into .WBFS using 2g split option, not sure why but they recommend it. Metroid Other M took 7mins to convert and that was a dual layer game.
Fourth On root of SD/USB which ever you prefer make a Folder and name it WBFS and copy the whole folder of converted .WBFS in there.
Very simple and yet offers the same speed as a pure WBFS partition w/o the annoying window pop up LoL now you will have to dump uLoader if you use it but i used uLoader and Configurable USB loader but honestly CFG Loader worked best on every game for me i just like uLoader for simplicity but no need or you can use WiiFlow or USB Loader GX and Configurable USB Loader! as they support FAT32 and NTFS support but i would recommond you make a FAT32 and partition the NTFS if you wanted that i have 1TB hdd and 200GB is NTFS and the rest is FAT32 for movies, games, etc...

Turboloader

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thank you for your post, but I know the pros of FAT32.
smile.gif

The only problem now is the recovery of the lost games.
I will use FAT32 in fact, but this is not the topic.

If you have any idea, please post it.
By the way, I have Other M in original and it was worth to buy it. (I hope this sentence is correct english
biggrin.gif
)
Greetings

edit: I've formatted with FAT32, could NOT recover the games. Instead I borrowed the HDD from a friend.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1