WBFS - New Install / Old HDD

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by WiiBii, Nov 5, 2011.

Nov 5, 2011

WBFS - New Install / Old HDD by WiiBii at 2:33 AM (603 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. WiiBii
    OP

Newcomer WiiBii Newbie

United States
    I have a HDD full of my games that has never failed me. I used to have WinXP when I transferred all games to the HDD via WBFS
    Now I have a new PC and use Win 7 64bit. Today I wanted to add a new game so I downloaded the 64bit version and installed the program.
    I took my HDD and plugged it in but normally I get a little "bubble" that tells me it's either installing or ready to use. Well that did not happen so I opened up WBFS anyway to see if it showed up. Again. I see nothing. It's as if I have not plugged in anything.

My question. What do I do. I want to add a few games to play but apparently I am not able to for whatever reason.
    I would hate to have to format this HDD and lose all my data. I have like 350 games including emulators for Atari and old Nintendo.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Wiimm

Member Wiimm Developer

Germany
    Install my tools and try: "wwt analyze". It will find wbfs partitions, also if damaged.
    If you haven't experience with the command line, create a batch file "analyze.bat" (with notepad) ...
    Code:
    @echo off
    wwt analyse
    pause

... and double click it.

3. fig2k4

Member fig2k4 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    If Windows doesn't recognise the drive, ie. doesn't recognise that you've just plugged it in, it's more likely to be a hardware issue. It sounds like your drive or maybe just the USB cable or enclosure is faulty. If you can't get the hardware device installed in Windows, formatting the drive is the least of your worries.

You should try plugging the drive into another computer or even different USB ports to see if it's the same. Make sure the drive is powering up, maybe the power supply is faulty?

Does it still work on the Wii? If it does, then it's probably just a driver issue with your Windows install. You could try Windows update to see if it helps or even reinstall Windows after you've tried everything else.

Also, with the drive plugged in, right click on "Computer", select "Manage" and see if your drive is listed in "Disk Management"

4. the_randomizer

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    To this day, I still don't see the advantage of using WBFS formatting over FAT32 for storing games. CFG USB Loader splits and merges WBFS images just fine w/out exceeding the FAT32 limit. oO

5. Lucif3r

Member Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden

For the average user it doesnt have any advantage, quite the opposite imo.
    But for the more "hardcore" theres plenty of things that makes wbfs more appealing.

6. the_randomizer

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Not for emulators it doesn't.

7. WiiBii
    OP

Newcomer WiiBii Newbie

United States
    Thanks for all the help and info.
    The HHD works fine on the Wii and the kids played it last night and this morning.
    It was then I wanted to mess around a bit more to see what the deal was. Before coming here though I tried one more thing that I have had issues with before. The USB cable and wouldn't you know it, it was the cable ! I used another cable to hook it up to my PC and it found it as it should and I transferred my games.
    I forgot about the cable thing adn as I said, have had issues with cables before on such things as iPods and tablets. A cable will work on it's unit no problem but for whatever reason not connected to the PC.
    So all is well and good. I just have to remember to use another cable. The "original" USB cable it came with (the HDD) worked no problem but my oldest Daughter took it upon herself to use it and lose it so I had to get another I had lying around.

8. Lucif3r

Member Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    Hehe, searching for errors only to find out its something as simple as a cable is mighty frustrating :)

9. WiiBii
    OP

Newcomer WiiBii Newbie

United States
    It's funny. You think you cover all the "easy stuff" first but in the end you find one more and it is usually the issue.