wbfs filesystem and hhd fragmentation

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by lazyguy, May 2, 2009.

May 2, 2009
  1. lazyguy
    OP

Member lazyguy GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    any info on how wbfs writes onto the hhd, i'm getting concerned as my hhd is getting more full, i will probably delete stuff and install, which will fragment the hhd

2ndary question; how bad is it for the hhd to turn off with the wii, i know that if it's reading and it suddenly turns off, it *should* be fine

i have another question, but i dont remember what is was, lol, will post if i remember

2. raptir

Member raptir GBAtemp Regular

United States
    - From what I've read, it's similar to the extended file system. FAT32/NTFS find the first open space and stick as much of the file there as possible. It continues doing that until the entire file is written. ext3 (and, I believed, WBFS) finds the first open space that is large enough for the entire file. If no such space exists, it splits the file up. Fragmentation will occur as your hard drive starts to get full. As of right now, the only way to defragment the filesystem is to remove all of your games by copying them back to your PC hard drive, format the WBFS drive, and move all your games back to the WBFS drive.

The other thing to consider is that fragmentation probably won't effect your performance too badly. It's still going to be reading faster than the DVD drive, and because you're dealing with files that are usually the same size (as in, the same order of magnitude) you'll probably have at most 2 or 3 fragments for a game, which shouldn't effect your read time too badly. And, as I said, it'll still be faster than the Wii DVD drive.

- If it's just reading files, not at all. If you're installing a game, pretty bad.

3. lazyguy
    OP

Member lazyguy GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    icic
    which also lead to the question i forgot; i had to restart wii 2 or 3 times during a rip, i didnt lose any hhd space right? the usb loader REALLY needs a cancel option when something goes wrong

4. AllWiidUp

Newcomer AllWiidUp Advanced Member

Canada
    1. I don't think the fragmentation with affect it too much, as they are direct block mappings, each block is read one at a time.

2. during read operation, turning off shouldn't damage the info, during write it can.

3. I just checked the WBFS add disc code, and it doesn't mark the space used until after it's been added to the list, so it won't waste blocks if aborted.