WB Pulls Arkham Knight From PC Retailers

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by chavosaur, Jun 25, 2015.

1. chavosaur
    OP

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    [​IMG]
    Tonight, we kill the batman... is exactly what Warner Bros had in mind for Batman's recent PC release, as it has suddenly been pulled from platforms like... well everything. The game has faced some pretty harsh issues on PC platforms, including frame locks, glitches galore, and complete unplayability.

Warner's statement below:

The game has been pulled from Steam and is currently unavailable for purchase.
    :arrow:Source

2. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    The bigger question is: How did all of this crap get past their bug testing?

SuzieJoeBob, nxwing and chavosaur like this.
  3. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    By funneling the port through a different studio that was responsible for their own bug testing, which they clearly didn't do.

4. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    Why would they pay beta testers when people will pay them to beta test?

Nic333, Abcdfv and XrosBlader821 like this.
  5. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    They probably outsourced their bug testing like they did their porting. My guess is that they gave it to... Bethesda.

This is why I pirate. Well, actually, it's not... but this makes me even more likely to do so. Well, actually, now that Steam gives 2 hour refunds, the old "I only pirate it to test it on my rig" excuse is no longer valid. Crap... *throws down ninja smoke bomb*

syrantking likes this.
  6. Hyro-Sama

Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Oct 25, 2009
    After Earth
    #PS4MASTERRACE ;O;

nxwing, lismati and cvskid like this.
  7. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    why don't they do this to every single lego game ever made? their the king of crash! :P

WiiCube_2013 likes this.
  8. pokemoner2500

pokemoner2500 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    Because maybe they secretly like piracy of other companies.

9. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    Sony paid them to rig the PC port. /jk

lampdemon, nxwing and genericuser like this.
  10. XrosBlader821

XrosBlader821 Digimon Tamer

Feb 1, 2014
    Gambia, The
    good to see a triple A studio do the right thing for once.

11. Pedeadstrian

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    No, the right thing would be to not release such crap. If you mean the best available PR move, sure.

12. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng A not so serious guy tbh... ;D

Aug 15, 2012
    New Caledonia
    Inside your miiind, and poof.
    At least WB did this, Ubisoft sucked with AC Unity.

genericuser likes this.
  13. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    It's a really douche move that they outsourced the PC version as that's ultimately and always the best edition to go with, although for a console gamer like myself I prefer consoles so it doesn't matter much.

I'm gonna eventually pick this up eventually, more so specifically the GOTY Edition for PS4.. probably by Christmas when PS4 has a better library of games.

14. Steena

Steena GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 13, 2009
    Italy
    They outsourced it knowing nobody could easily get refunds on steam, the unfortunate event is that valve implemented a humane refund policy when the port was ready to be shipped.

Game had 27% rating on the store (not even renowned scam games get this low usually), and I suppose a ton of people rightfully refunded the game. Plus, the massive PR hit made them act like the good guys and pull it.

I like how companies try so hard to save irrelevant amounts of money with risky moves (seriously, a proper PC port costs nothing when you're already accustomed to doing PC ports AND the game runs on the unreal engine, what the fuck), and then end up fucking up and spending several times the amount they saved to repair their shitfest.

15. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    WB outsourced the PC port to a small studio.
    ...who outsourced the bug testing to a single human.
    ...who outsourced the framerate issues to his cat.

And with this mess, that cat will NEVER WORK IN DEVELOPMENT AGAIN! PROMISE!!!

:wink:

lampdemon, nxwing, ProtoKun7 and 6 others like this.
  16. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    I don't believe anything said from them. If they take this very seriously, they wouldn't have released the game at all instead of releasing it anyway and hoping that people wouldn't make a fuss about it. But now you can get refunds from Steam, how unfortunate for them.

They knew the game was going to sell really well, yet they fucked it up anyway. Idiots.

Kippykip likes this.
  17. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    WB is just doing damage control on the screw up from the company that they trusted to do the PC version. You have to understand, when a company outsources a port, they outsource every part of it. That means development for porting to the PC, bug testing the port, and applying any fixes to the port as necessary in patch updates or otherwise.

I imagine that whoever did the porting said "oh yeah, it's ready for release", and that had to be trusted because the main studio was still working on the console version of the game up until release day.

If you want to be upset with somebody, be upset with whoever handled the PC port. They're the lazy developers that half assed a port and then lied about how ready for market it was.

Arecaidian Fox, WiiCube_2013 and NEP like this.
  18. Pedeadstrian

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    True, Iron Galaxy deserves to be blamed, but surely an insignificant amount of testing on WB's part would have shown that the port was a total bugfest.

19. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    To make up for it WB should offer the Season Pass free of charge for the users who bought this broken piece of shit release.

20. Pedeadstrian

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Which would then piss off all the people who already bought the Season Pass and those who waited/skipped getting the game because of the poor reviews. No matter what they do, they're going to anger some part of their playerbase (even more than they already are). They just need to hurry up, fix the PC version, and make it the most sparkly game ever. Oh, and remove Denuvo so I can play.

WiiCube_2013 likes this.