Ways for my father to meet friends?

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok well my dad is a 47 year old and he only has two friends who he does not talk to much plus family, ever since my mum and him broke up, it has been like this, he really needs friends and as I'm only a 14 year old teen, I can't really help him, so maybe some of the older members of the community here can help him, I would tell him to go on this forum and meet people as I know it's a great community
wink2.gif
but he isn't much of a gamer, so how would he go about making friends? The people at his workplace are all Indians (No racism meant here) and he doesn't really like them because they don't even put any effort into work, anyway so are there any other ways, he does not know how and I really do want to help him, he just seems so down...

As always, Thanks in advance

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My father is 48 and I'd like to know the same thing, gifi. The only friends my father ever meets is during multiplayer over the PS3. I want him to get out, so I'm going to suggest what I plan on doing.

If he likes video games, take him to a huge video game convention. If that doesn't work, I'm taking him to a baseball game.

Think of what your father likes to do and if it's a popular hobby, get him to go there, but go with him. Otherwise, he probably won't mingle -_-

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tell you what: My dad (50) has become a follower of a great local music artist. He never misses a single performance of the artist, and he meets all sorts of incredible ladies that way.....granted, they're mostly my age (30) ...but I can tell he has a lot of fun!

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
phoenixgoddess27 said:
My father is 48 and I'd like to know the same thing, gifi. The only friends my father ever meets is during multiplayer over the PS3. I want him to get out, so I'm going to suggest what I plan on doing.

If he likes video games, take him to a huge video game convention. If that doesn't work, I'm taking him to a baseball game.

Think of what your father likes to do and if it's a popular hobby, get him to go there, but go with him. Otherwise, he probably won't mingle -_-

But even if you go with him. Make sure you're off to the toilet or whatever to get him to mingle.

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
My dad (nearly 50) loves rock-climbing so he meets a lot of friends in the gym he goes to.

Find out if your dad has any hobbies, and bring him to places/events related (ie for sports, bring him to a drop-in session, or for collecting items, bring him to hobby shops or conventions).

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Raiser, I live in one of the rock-climbing "Meccas" of the world. (Chattanooga Tennessee)
If you ever get out this way, hit me up!

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Law said:
What are his hobbies?
Well this is kind of dificult to answer so I ended up asking what his hobbies were and he said QUOTEDriving, scenic driving, gardening
not much to work on, so yeah.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Vulpes Abnocto said:
Hey Raiser, I live in one of the rock-climbing "Meccas" of the world. (Chattanooga Tennessee)

When I get there, can I knock you up instead?

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yeah best thing really is to try to get him a new hobby,
sports is allways a good thing at least if he is no alcoholic who smokes all the time and can hardly move.

well everyone is different but i know my father as example likes table tennis, but sadly he is an alcoholic that smokes all the time and can hardy move without dieing several deads XD

another one i know loves chess and after some time he even entered a chess club ...

scrtmstr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
gifi4 said:
Law said:
What are his hobbies?
QUOTEDriving, scenic driving, gardening
driving on a bike or in a car? If it's on a bike, he might want to join a bikers club or something, he'll make loads of friends in no time.
for cars, he might want to go to a car meeting, if that stuff happens near your town.

But these hobbies are also kinda 'lonely', you should get him interested in sports, like tennis or something.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
monkat said:
Have you thought that maybe he doesn't want to?

Just a thought.
That did cross my mind but I openly asked him if he wanted friends, and he said he really wants them but he just doesn't know how.

To everyone else: How the hell do I get him interested in another hobby, sport would be good but he is a bit too overweight for most sports although something like table tennis is good...

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Vulpes Abnocto said:
Sure thing! Always looking for good locations down in the States!

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
First of all... THE WORLD HAS GONE BACKWARDS

Parents needing motivation to go out and have a life? O the sweet sweet irony

Anyway since youre only 14 you cant do a whole lot yourself.
Im going to suggest organizing some sort of party for people all ages and invite your friends and their parents

If youre over 18, go out drinking ;>

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Go to meetup.com, type in zip code, type in interest, sign up for meet-ups.
Also, when I was in his spot (I'm 46 myself) I went to the Unitarian Church in my area. I'm an atheist, but they're not judgmental, and they do a lot of community oriented "good works" sorta stuff . Basically if you want to volunteer to help people, there's a bunch of stuff you can do. I went down to Mississipi for a week with the Baptist Men's Association and did Hurricane relief for example, and met a bunch of nice folks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm here.