way to play backed up wii disc <- am I doing right?...sorry if this

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by todesto, Feb 25, 2009.

1. todesto
    OP

todesto Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 25, 2009
    United States
    Hi, all.
    I tried to find the answer reading as many topics as possible but could not do it....there are just tooooo many! [​IMG]

I finally succeeded installing homebrew and loader. [​IMG]
    Problem is when I insert backed up Mario Kart wii and launch it using loader, it will start, but the screen is soooo garbled, you can't see anything.
    Please see the pix below.....

[​IMG]

but the sound is coming out indicating it is trying to do something. after resetting, I press 1 to go into configuration menu while loading, I tried force NTSC, launch then it works!

My question is....is this right way to start if the disc acts like this? Is the disc PAL being played on NTSC system a problem? I get confused because I see from this forum that playing PAL on NTSC is black and white. Am I right?

Please help the confused.....thanks in advance.

G

2. tj_cool

tj_cool Site dev

Supervisor
    Jan 7, 2009
    Belgium
    This planet
    The PAL game has a different video output than NTSC tv, so you get problems.
    If you force a region, you force the game to use the video output of the selected region, so it will show correctly.
    It is not required to force a region when the tv has PAL and NTSC output, but yours hasn't so you must force NTSC on PAL games.
    There are some channels that auto-force NTSC so maybe you might want one of these

3. WiiMonkey

WiiMonkey GBAtemp Fan

Jan 16, 2009
    UK
    Buy a new tv lol

4. todesto
    OP

todesto Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 25, 2009
    United States
    Mine is Samsung Plasma that is only one year old [​IMG] I believe mine is upto the spec.

So you think this is PAL issue? I'm in US, so I think my TV is NTSC.

If I have to force NTSC to play it, then is there a way to save the configuration of wiigator to force NTSC all the time?

5. Sstew

Sstew GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.

Jul 15, 2008
    United States
    Florida

I think there is a custom channel that forces NTSC on startup.

6. tj_cool

tj_cool Site dev

Supervisor
    Jan 7, 2009
    Belgium
    This planet
    search for them

7. WiiPower

WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Oct 17, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Try force PAL60, if it works you can play all PAL games which work on PAL Wiis. And when you have a plasma or lcd, connecting the wii to the tv with component cables and setting the wii to progressive output, might be a good idea.