Hardware Wavebird Battery Packs

The_Cylon_Surfer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I'm form the UK and have looked everywhere for a battery pack for my newly aquired Wavebird pad. Anyone know of a UK based supplier?

I have seen one pack on Ebay.com but am unsure of the implications of using the battery packs charger in combination with a US2UK plug adaptor - anyone have any suggestions on that front?

Does anyone know if the Wiimote battery pack (the kind purchased from GAME) fits the Wavebird pad or can be easily adapted to (and obviously fitted back in the Wiimote after for charging purposes)?

I am aware that the Wavebird has a extremely good battery life (100hours) with just 2 standard AA batteries but I am not a fan of either buying rechargables, charging or continually disposing of standard AA's. So a battery pack would be perfect!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Adapter.
Unless the adapter explicitly states it supports the input (talking about the US adapters here) I would avoid it:adapters are normally brutally simple things (two blocks of iron and some coiled wire simple) and the wrong voltage in can cause anything from shortened life to release of magic smoke).

You could however splice the end (assuming it is proprietary) to a normal adapter that puts the correct voltage out. I do it all the time and the most complex it usually gets as adding a resistor if I am lazy or a Zener diode if I am not when some money grubbing design team decides 7.4 volts is the way forward.

Also you can get AA batteries that charge from USB ports which would seem to work for your dual use criteria:
http://prodmod.wordpress.com/2007/01/26/usbcell-usb-battery/
I know you said you did not want them but they are good.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
..it is evident that Nintendo engineers intentionally designed the Wii Remote and WaveBird controllers to be compatible with previously-released Game Boy Advance accessories (AGB-003 and AGB-004, battery and charger respectively). The Wii Remote and the WaveBird both use special battery contacts that are compatible with AGB-003 and AGB-004.
Source

The_Cylon_Surfer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
..it is evident that Nintendo engineers intentionally designed the Wii Remote and WaveBird controllers to be compatible with previously-released Game Boy Advance accessories (AGB-003 and AGB-004, battery and charger respectively). The Wii Remote and the WaveBird both use special battery contacts that are compatible with AGB-003 and AGB-004.

That is good news! Although it would appear that the contacts are indeed the same the shape as the AGB-003's but the outer plastic which secures the device in place is not of the same shape. At least this opens up the possibilities of modding a Wii Battery Pack or old GBA Battery Pack.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ending to the fallout series was lame could've gave us a bit more