Waterboarding Helped Find Bin Laden

TLSS_N

No rice, No life! ~唯
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BRIAN WILLIAMS: I'd like to ask you about the sourcing on the intel that ultimately led to this successful attack. Can you confirm that it was as a result of waterboarding that we learned what we needed to learn to go after bin Laden?

LEON PANETTA: You know Brian, in the intelligence business you work from a lot of sources of information, and that was true here. We had a multiple source -- a multiple series of sources -- that provided information with regards to this situation. Clearly, some of it came from detainees and the interrogation of detainees. But we also had information from other sources as well. So, it's a little difficult to say it was due just to one source of information that we got.

WILLIAMS: Turned around the other way, are you denying that waterboarding was in part among the tactics used to extract the intelligence that led to this successful mission?

PANETTA: No, I think some of the detainees clearly were, you know, they used these enhanced interrogation techniques against some of these detainees. But I'm also saying that, you know, the debate about whether we would have gotten the same information through other approaches I think is always going to be an open question.

WILLIAMS: So, finer point, one final time, enhanced interrogation techniques -- which has always been kind of a handy euphemism in these post-9/11 years -- that includes waterboarding?

PANETTA: That's correct.[/p]

source

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nathan Drake said:
Good to know that torture is still used to get out information that we are willing to call good intel.

Morality, being the highly overrated cure for cancer it is, rarely leads you to any progress whatsoever.

Apart from psychological damadge, which has *already been done* by terrorist brainwashing anyways, waterboarding does not cause any permanant damadge nor is it life-threatening.

This should be a matter of common sense and balance of loss and profit, not a matter of anyone's morals. If making one bastard feel as if he's drowning is going to save a bunch of innocents, it's perfectly fine. It shouldn't be used in minor cases though, for obvious reasons.

At least that's my point of view. Maybe I'm a soulless prick, but at least it would be *effective*, and effectiveness is CIA's trademark.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
What isn't realized though is that people will lie if they hit a false breaking point. By the time this intel is known as false, the deeds have already been done. Torture is seen as barbaric anymore, as it is. Morality aside, torture is a poor way to get information. Many times, people will say anything they think the person wants to hear to get out of it.

TLSS_N

No rice, No life! ~唯
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like to think of it this way, would you water board Adolf Hitlers top man? I would, it moves the process to finding the info that is needed.

-that is all.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Somewhere in the Netherlands, two guys went to the police for murder. Guess which one.
What the fuck makes you Americunts think murder is allowed anywhere, even if it's a terrorist!?

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Firstly, the topic title is misleading. Even the website linked to doesn't say "Waterboarding helped find Bin Laden." They say it's an "open question" as to if it did or not. And even that's not quite what Panetta says.

Morality aside, the main problem with torture as an interregation method is that it gives bad intel. People who know nothing will make something up to make the pain stop, people will tell their torturers what they want to hear. If someone was asking me where Bin Laden was and torturing me any time I said "I don't know" I'd quite quickly make something up. And if I knew, and was worried about reprisals, I'd make something up as well. Bad intel leads to troops on your own side being put in danger and increases the risk of attacks on innocents.

SparkFenix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Foxi4 said:
Nathan Drake said:
Good to know that torture is still used to get out information that we are willing to call good intel.

Morality, being the highly overrated cure for cancer it is, rarely leads you to any progress whatsoever.

Apart from psychological damadge, which has *already been done* by terrorist brainwashing anyways, waterboarding does not cause any permanant damadge nor is it life-threatening.

This should be a matter of common sense and balance of loss and profit, not a matter of anyone's morals. If making one bastard feel as if he's drowning is going to save a bunch of innocents, it's perfectly fine. It shouldn't be used in minor cases though, for obvious reasons.

At least that's my point of view. Maybe I'm a soulless prick, but at least it would be *effective*, and effectiveness is CIA's trademark.

Morality is one of the reasons as to why today stealing and killing is illegal

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
What led to the killing of bin laden is treading around the middle east for ten years and after carpet bombing all the while, they finally hit their target. All this is, is a sorry excuse to allow water boarding.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Oh boy, another crappy politic news. I guess the meta description of gbatemp should be changed to: GBATemp - The Free Independent Video Game and Politic Community.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
WiiBricker said:
Oh boy, another crappy politic news. I guess the meta description of gbatemp should be changed to: GBATemp - The Free Independent Video Game and Politic Community.

You neither need to read these topics nor reply to them. I don't see what the problem is.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
TwinRetro said:
WiiBricker said:

You neither need to read these topics nor reply to them. I don't see what the problem is.

The problem is they are posted on a site, that doesnt have anything to do with politics. If I want to discuss politics, I rather discuss on a board, that is specialized in politics. Politic news here are just spam and even worse, the mods here apparently dont care.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because we are mindless gamers that don't know anything else about the world and wouldn't be
able to or shouldn't discuss them?

laugh.gif

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
KingVamp said:
Because we are mindless gamers that don't know anything else about the world and wouldn't be

laugh.gif

Yes, apparently You are, because according to your attitude, you're chained to *GBATemp*, plus your shoes are nailed to the floor of the forum and you find yourself unable to join any other forum and frequent it at the same time.

If you want to discuss politics, go to a politics board - it's not like it's *hard* to find one. I think that WiiBricker has a point here, there is time and place for everything. The timing seems right, but the place? A subject for open discussion.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:
KingVamp said:

That's what you said.
I'm saying that what you sound like. Just because this place it about gaming doesn't mean we can't talk about other stuff like politics.

Shouldn't have to go to another forum just to talk about a little section of politics or any other news. Unless of course you want to and/or want something
more in depth.

@Foxi4 Funny you just post something a while back in this thread. Foxi4 then why your here? Why are you talking about other stuff other than gaming?

If that how you feel then keep yourself from all sections other than gaming.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
@KingVamp I'm againts the idea of posting such threads, not againts the idea of replying. Seeing as the thread is already here, why not reply in it?

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WiiBricker said:
KingVamp said:
Just because this place it about gaming doesn't mean we can't talk about other stuff like politics.

Weird logic. I guess you would post gaming news on a politic site?

They could if they wanted. I don't see anything wrong with posting news about politics, I mean, this should go in the off topic section. But since it's news, it goes in the news section. It's not a problem for me or many other people.

QUOTE(Foxi4 @ May 4 2011, 08:56 PM)
@KingVamp I'm againts the idea of posting such threads, not againts the idea of replying. Seeing as the thread is already here, why not reply in it?
If everyone stopped replying to these types of threads, people would stop posting them, no?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: My therapy chair is padded