1. Agilato

OP Agilato GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I have used switch with unknown history after water damage near BQ chip that won't boot at all.
    Board was cleaned traces repaired and covered with mask, all elements replaced from a donor board.

Now console:

- Runs hekate and all data looks perfect.
    - briccmii tool shows that all sectors are fine.
    - USB tester shows 0.46 Amps when it's plugged in like normal working system

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Ace_

Ace_ Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    I have two exactly the same, charges and boots hekate but won't boot cfw or original and you only get the nintendo logo then black screen. In both cases the cpu/gpu is shorted (caps on the back of the board are shorted). I removed the cpu/gpu on one of them to confirm and the shorts went away.

Good for spares but that's about it. :(

3. Agilato

OP Agilato GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I have 2 switches with shorts on CPU right on the middle and capacitor near BGA power management chip, but they both loading fine, charge power twice lower but i thought they completely dead... looks like there is some element or group of elements are dead... i spent nights with a multimeter to figure out... but still nothing... i think shorted CPU still have some chance to survive.

4. Ace_

Ace_ Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Interesting, what short reading do they get in ohms? On my two the shorts on the same caps you mentioned are about 35 ohms.

5. Agilato

OP Agilato GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I measured 7 different boards 4 normal they have between 39 and 56 ohms and shorted one that still staring just fine has from 35 to 38 ohms (but those have weird power behaviors)

My guess is that there is one more ground on the board called low ground or digital ground it has resistance with actual ground around 40 ohms in some test pins i found even 5 Kohms and if this resistance or mb capacitor got sorted it's makes digital ground shorted as well... idk i am not that savvy at electronics just guess of hobbyist, i really would like to know more about it...

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - damaged, switch, hekate