Watching youtube Videos on a PSP1000 in 2014?

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by samuelvictor, Aug 16, 2014.

1. samuelvictor
    OP

samuelvictor Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 16, 2014
    Hi guys, sorry if this has been covered before, but I've had a search and can't find anything.

I've got a PSP 1003 with CFW installed.

I'm looking for something like GoTube or PSPTube - but neither of these seems to work nowadays (or at least the versions I've found online) - I'm guessing because Youtube have updated the way their streaming works.

Does anyone know of a homebrew app that works today as of now? Thanks in advance...

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Afaik, there isn't one.
    PSP1000 is the only PSP with 32MB of RAM which is 32MB lower then the 2000 PSP's.

Good luck getting Youtube working on it nowadays...

3. samuelvictor
    OP

samuelvictor Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 16, 2014
    Thanks for the reply.

Ah... that's a shame. I didn't know the PSP1000 series have less ram, but that makes sense, in that GoTube works fine as far as searching and finding the thumbnails, but can't load or start the videos, which may well be due to ram.

Ironic, as this particular 1003 is new to me, replacing my old worn out one. I specifically went with a 1000 model as they seemed to be the easiest to get CFW on. Oh well!

Funny that some pretty kick ass games and complex emus can run but a YT video (or even basic webpage) seems such a big deal for the system to cope with.

Still holding out vague hope incase anyone knows of a working solution... but thinking I may be on a loosing battle! :(

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Go!Tube is your best bet, but it's grossly outdated these days - Youtube gets updated very often, homebrew does not.

5. samuelvictor
    OP

samuelvictor Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 16, 2014
    Thanks for the response. Yeah GoTube gets closer than anything else, but the newest version I found still can't seem to stream videos, even though it can find them.

TBH I'm surprised that there was never an official download from Sony for a Youtube application. Can't see any reason why Sony or Google wouldn't want it to happen, seems beneficial for both. I've not got a Vita (I prefer retro games) but I'm guessing there's an official Youtube app/player for that...

6. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    32 MB of RAM, hardly enough to render youtube vids.

7. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It's a discontinued system - that's why. I don't think it's a matter of RAM, as back in the day it was clearly possible. I'd sooner wager that the problems are in the codecs used contemporarily which are harwdare decoded, stuff like H.264 and whatnot.

8. samuelvictor
    OP

samuelvictor Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 16, 2014
    Thanks guys - guess I'll give up on the idea & just enjoy playing the games & emulators! :)

9. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    You should check out the Google Code site for GoTube. People tend to update the youtube script in the issues section. All you have to do is copy and past. That doesn't fix the decoding problem, so the videos will still have screwed color assignment, but it is watchable. I test it out every once in a while so I can email my brother updates for his PSP.