Watching TV Online

_V1qY

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
There are many different websites to unofficially watch TV programs online which display a list of episodes from the show's seasons / serieses and when you choose one you are presented with a list of links to video uploading sites where you can watch the program. I am sure you're all familiar with these sorts of websites but I wont post an example because I don't know if it violates GBATemp's rules.

So anyway, I noticed that these sites are getting a lot of vistors, and there is one show which I believe to be quite popular however has very few websites where you can watch it (there is one but the layout is horrible and it bombards you with popups, the other is a much larger one which has 1000's of other shows as well and isn't dedicated just to the one show, also when you type it into Google it doesn't come up on the first page).

I have the ability to create a site where you can watch this show however I have a few questions first:

1. Is it legal, and if not will the company that owns the show try and sue me or just ask me to take down the site?
2. How long will it last before the above will happen if it does; there are websites for watching other shows by the same company that makes the show I am thinking of and they have been up since 2008 according to whois.
3. Any more info I should know about, will I have to put anything like "[Show] is a registered trade mark of [Company]"?

Thanks. I really need to know because I don't want to get into trouble.

_V1qY

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not a spam bot. Just a legitimate internet developer who wants to make sure he's safe before uploading his favourite cartoons that could get him into serious trouble, copywrite etc.

I know I'm being very general with you guys but I really need to know if it's okay to make one of these sites.

EDIT: Just tell me how much trouble have people gotton into with things like this before. Are there any famous examples?

_V1qY

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks. Since I'm in the UK I didn't think shitty US laws could affect me but after reading about Richard O'Dwyer and Gary McKinnon I guess I wont make the site I was thinking of making.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse