Watch videos in 3D on your 3DS with DSTWO?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by bushe777, Aug 24, 2011.

Aug 24, 2011
  1. bushe777
    OP

Newcomer bushe777 Newbie

United States
    I have tried looking for this and it seems like nobody have asked this kind of question.

I'm waiting for my DSTWO to arrive and was wondering about this:
    1) Can this flashcart make the 3DS play videos that are actually in a 3D video file format?
    2) Or it doesn't matter if the video is 3D or 2D the 3DS "convert it" from 2D to 3D just with the switch it has?

In short, I want to know if I can actually experience watching a 3D video almost like having a 3D TV and the 3D glasses.

2. Seaking

Member Seaking GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    no.
    3DS mode has to be cracked to view your own 3D content.

3. bushe777
    OP

Newcomer bushe777 Newbie

United States
    I think you went a bit to far into the hardware part, I mean the DSTWO can reproduce many video files already, I think it is a matter of knowing how to correctly display the video on the screen, I still don't have the flashcart to do some testing, but I was looking at a software called "Blu-ray 3D to Nintendo 3DS" don't know if it really works but if that is true, then it isn't really necessary to "crack" the 3DS mode, and you only need to convert it to display it correctly as I was saying, so it means it just needs some software to make the videos viewable on the 3DS. Also I'm not saying I want to view my own 3D content, that would require more special hardware, my doubt was about already made 3D videos and convert them or something like that to play it on the 3DS.

I'm just curious about displaying 3D videos, also questions like this haven't been made apparently so I'm also doing it for all the people that will come to this kind of doubts, so is there someone that already knows how to do it or that could try a software that states it can be seen in 3D on your 3DS?

4. Seaking

Member Seaking GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    you need 3DS mode to use 3D.

so nothing can make 3D videos for the 3DS.

Edit: also look into the DSTwo, its a DS flashcart. it does not access 3DS mode, only 2D DS mode.

5. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Whether this Bluray 3D to Nintendo 3DS really works (as it would output as an MP4 format), the problem is that there is no way right now for the 3DS to playback user-supplied videos with decoding the video stream (though the audio from the MP4 file might be playable through Nintendo Sound). As was said, the DSTWO is a DS flashcard, allowing only DS-mode usage. DS games cannot utilize the top screen for 3D (you'll notice when DS games are running, the 3D light turns off).

6. bushe777
    OP

Newcomer bushe777 Newbie

United States
    3DS mode can easily be turned on or off by moving the switch up or down, i think you are confusing, i mean that is why the DSTWO can't play roms yet because "3DS mode" hasn't been hacked i know that, but this isn't the case with playing video files, hence the use of flashcarts to let you play videos, plus the DSTWO has built-in CPU which that has to be good when playing videos without the need to use the 3DS hardware acceleration or whatever, so all is about the screen now.

Also clarify what do you mean by 3DS mode? the technology used on the 3DS is called parallax barrier, so it is already on the screen, so I really think you are mixing the 3DS hardware part that lets you play roms.

Now if you mean that the DSTWO player works only on the touch screen then that would clear all my doubts without asking again if it is possible, but if it display video on the 3D screen and as you know it has the parallax, then why would it not be possible?

7. bushe777
    OP

Newcomer bushe777 Newbie

United States
    So the DSTWO player doesn't display videos on the top screen? or it does but the 3D light indicator doesn't turn on?

8. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    You know how when the Wii is in "Gamecube mode" the software isn't allowed to use Wii remotes and the SD card slot? Similarly the 3DS can only use the 3D aspects of the display when running software intended for the 3DS.

Homebrew software on your DSTWO only works because it's intended for the original DS. Creating software that runs using the 3DS display is not yet possible without an official developer kit from Nintendo.

9. bushe777
    OP

Newcomer bushe777 Newbie

United States
    Seems the post is growing as I reply, so sorry if I ask again as my last question wasn't answered, so does the DSTWO player only shows videos on the lower screen? or it can display on the top screen but the 3D won't turn on even if the switch is on?

10. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    3DS features are locked out while the 3DS is in DS-mode, so even if something displays on the top screen, it's in DS mode, which means no 3D effects.

Yes it'd be cool if we could, but no we can't do that.

11. loco365

Member loco365 GBAtemp Guru

It won't display ANY 3D- no matter what screen it's on. The DSTWO (And any flashcard, for that matter) cannot use the 3D software that is built-in, so when a flashcard is run, the system goes into a limited-functionality mode- which disables 3D.

It just cannot be done.

It's just like trying to turn a 2D still photo into 3D without an alternate-angle image. It cannot be done.

12. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    By design, the DSTWO displays the video output on the top screen, but is limited to what the DS environment is capable of, which doesn't include the ability to display those videos in 3D.

13. moerik

Member moerik GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Bushe777, the 3DS will only allow 3DS mode when ONLY an 3DS game or software is played.

Your SCDS2 is a DS game, so the 3DS will enter DS mode, so it can, and only will, do what a DS(lite) can do. It basicly turns the 3DS into a regular DS until you stop playing the DS game, leaving you without the 3D mode on the screen.

3DS mode flashcards currently do not exist, not counting the fakes. It will take a long time before the 3DS gets hacked, so please do not ask: "whar iz 3ds hox so icun perawt rums?" or along those lines.

TLDR: SCDS2 is a ds game, ds mode only.

Have a good day.

14. bushe777
    OP

Newcomer bushe777 Newbie

United States
    Wonderful answers, thank you all! [​IMG]

That cleared all my doubts, so for now 3D content I want and 3DS = [​IMG]
    I will pick it up when a 3DS enabled homebrew player comes up.
    lol jk.