Watch DVD movies on the wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Ignatius, Mar 27, 2007.

Mar 27, 2007

Watch DVD movies on the wii? by Ignatius at 11:36 AM (1,493 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Ignatius
    OP

Newcomer Ignatius Member

Costa Rica
    Will there ever be a program/code that lets you watch normal dvd movies on the wii? I'm not talking about xvid/divx and that stuff, i'm talking about legit movies. Is it possible? Are there people out there already trying to develop something for the people with modchips?

It'll be awesome if we can turn the wii's into dvd players as well, that would be pretty damn convenient.

2. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Another one of the "will there ever" questions. I'm going to say... yes. Yes there will. Hackers/crackers/modders/homebrewers have done just about everything to every console out there, given enough time. And in time, there will be a homebrew-enabling modchip, and where there's homebrew, there's a way.
    Just don't ask for a specific date [​IMG]

3. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    It is already possible through gamecube homebrew [​IMG]. Somone just has to write it (/sarcasm).

4. kristijan08

Member kristijan08 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    the real question is do you really want this feature? more wear and tear on the actual wii drive, the output of the wii is crap (480p is hardly hd) and you can't even get surround sound out of the wii!!!

im guessing if you're a true dvd fan, you won't want to cause if you answered yes to those questions why not just use GC homebrew to run divxs cause you will get the same result/quality!

5. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    480p is hardly HD, but he was talking about regular DVDs. Do you know the resolution of a standard movie DVD? You are correct about the surround sound, the Wii only has stereo output. But the resulting audio/video quality would be much better than DivX.

6. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    As far as I know GC linux (MFE distro included) does indeed support DVD playback. However I have been unable to swap DVD's when running the MFE build on my Wii.

7. gimpymoo

Newcomer gimpymoo Member

I thought the optical drive on the Wii was not dual layer?

8. VVoltz

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    I mean, there is no way right now, right?

9. andreq

Member andreq GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    No..... and just for your info...

Wallmart (I don't support them, but shit they just got cheap ass crap) sell some DVD player with Component output (and stereo sound [​IMG] ) for around $25...

And this is my setup :

Cheap ass dvd player ($5 for shipping when my mom gave it to me so I could repair it (hmm?)...and she didn't want to send it to get a replacement...and finaly bought a Dvd/HDD recorder)
    Wii (300$ CAD ! from my wroking office....we were 24 employe to order one!...... p.s. I'm a game developer) sitting on top of the dvd (almost the same width [​IMG] )

10. VVoltz

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    The bad thing about playing DVDs on your console is that you kill the laser at much faster speed that playing. I do have a PS2, in fact I bought 3 because the damn optic laser started to skip videos and audio after a while.