Gaming watch dogs: overhyped or a great game?

eriol33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I just got this game and have been trying this game for few hours. so far it's like GTA (which I'm yet to like) with some stealth/contraption mechanics. I just have gotten few hours and this game is already felt repetitive... I swear it took me 16 hours to get bored playing prototype.

anyway, do you like this game or is it just too overhyped?

also, this game's final product is worse than McDonald's burger (versus the advertised)

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's a decent game. I pretty much just went through the story and did nothing else and I enjoyed myself. It's one of the few games i've beat in quite a while.

It was obviously overhyped, but I also think it's over hated. There's really nothing terribly wrong with it. It's no more repetitive than a GTA game. The gameplay was a lot more solid than GTA as well. Yeah the hacking could get repetitive, but it still had its moments. Just following the story, I didn't find it super repetitive at least since you do tend to do different things and not the same thing every time.

I didn't follow the game from day 1 till launch, so all this crap about the game being worse than advertised and shown and blah blah, I didn't know or really care about any of that. I watched some trailers, those were interesting, I got the game, I played it, I enjoyed it. Amazing!
Anyone who includes "hype" in any form of criticism or analysis of a game should get a reality check. Hype is absolutely irrelevant towards a game being good or bad.
Though I will say i'd never really buy it. I can see why someone who paid $60-70 would be pissed. It's not worth that. But taking the cost and putting it aside, yeah, it's decent. I'd say for $20 it's a good enough purchase.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Watch Dogs is absolutely overhyped, obviously, and quite bland IMO.

It borrowed a lot of gameplay from other Ubisoft games, especially Far Cry, and then executed other elements that was supposed to make it unique in a piss poor way. The driving mechanics, for example, was supposed to be "revolutionary!" and "a huge part of the game!" when the physics were straight ass and the game glitched out more than a Bethseda title. The hacking part was nice enough, but became repetitive and became more of a mindless puzzle gimmick than anything.

Hells hit the nail on the head, though, it should've been a $20 game or even a $20 add on to GTA or Saints Row or something rather than a $60 standalone game.

eriol33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I swear the game doesnt worth 60 bucks. I'm waiting the price to drop around 10 bucks. I don't want to install that cursed uplay.

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say the real issue with it is the optimization for the PC version. Absolutely horrible. Other than that its a fine game. Not great, not but, but certainly overhyped. Most games like this tend to be overhyped though so how that was a surprise to anyone is beyond me.

Reactions: Margen67

eriol33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I haven't played so many GTA or open world games. but this game feels like combination of GTA + AC + Deus Ex (stealth mode) + contraption mechanics. nothing really special. good you canceled your preorder! I cannot believe someone would pay 60 bucks for this game. I would pay 10 bucks maximum.

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Mm, both.
It's definitely overhyped. The dynamic open world hacking thing isn't real, just a linear 10-15 hacks in game, so yeah.
The graphics were also heavily downgraded, but I guess the Worsemod on PC fixes most of that. Overall, it was enjoyable to play really. Just not worth $60, only worth it at budget prices.

CheatingSoi

Graphic Designer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah defiantly over-hyped like everyone is saying. I remember seeing the E3 gameplay when they first announced it and it instantly became my most anticipated game for years. It just seemed amazing and the graphics seemed like nothing we'd ever seen before. But as it turned out, it was just a regular game. But that's not to say it's a bad game. It's a lot of fun and I especially liked performing the stealth hack missions. But unfortunately there isn't much too it. It is extremely repetitive.

Reactions: Jiehfeng

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: My epeen is very important to me lol