Wasted money on Cubic Ninja/Ninjhax?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Neath, Dec 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neath
    OP

Neath Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 1, 2013
    Canada
    Ontario, Canada
    With Gateway's support of the 9.x FW's, am I the only one who feels Ninjhax was a waste of some cash? I mean I only paid $20 from EB Games, but since Gateway will have full ROM support, homebrew, multi-region and more, it seems like its going to be completely obsolete within the month? (or however long it takes for Gateway to release 9.x)

ps: smea i still appreciate your work

2. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tuvalu
    no, its a door way to great things... you can never have enough weapons in your arsenal.

3. Thomas12345

Thomas12345 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 1, 2014
    Canada
    Hm.. I was gonna buy ninjahax myself, but with the new Gateway 3DS reveal I'm kinda on the fence too. I might buy ninjahax, if only to keep myself entertained until new gateway comes out

BTW can I ask where you bought Cubic Ninja from? I"m from canada too but my local eb games didn't have it

4. blinkzane

blinkzane Panic at your moms house

Jul 24, 2012
    United States
    Florida
    I'm hoping ninjhax will eventually lead to soft modding the 3ds permanently. I went out and spent 40 dollars just in case this were to happen.

BatmanBeyond and Margen67 like this.
  5. Neath
    OP

Neath Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 1, 2013
    Canada
    Ontario, Canada
    I bought it in London Ontario at EB Games. I'd suggest going to local game shops or pawn shops that always have stock piles of crap games. My advice, hold out til gateway. I just ordered one today for $63.

6. oPolo

oPolo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 26, 2014
    Why would you ever feel that?

It is open-source, and has contributed alot to the community. In my eyes, Gateway has too, but its nice to see things being opensource.

Gateway has been all about running games. With Smealum's Ninjhax, he might just have kickstarted a nice homebrew scene (by delivering a full homebrew launcher solution). There was no homebrew apps before and Gateway didnt give a crap about it - now they do and now there is homebrew apps :)

Also, it might still be useful having paid for (if that is your only concern, and not the actual practical use of Ninjhax). I can imagine that Gateway will not add homebrew launcher compability immediately, so it might be your only shot at running homebrew for a while :) (Atleast the one compatible with Ninjhax).
    ...You can also run homebrew on 2 3DS' now maybe :D (that is nice, if you are going to buy a N3DS - buying another Gateway would cost dollars compared to just buying Cubic Ninja :P)

minexew and pelago like this.
  7. deathking

deathking GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States

DevMenu could do this (with .cia files) and could be installed with a gateway

Neath likes this.
  8. Canadacdn

Canadacdn GBAtemp Regular

Jul 20, 2007
    Canada
    Canada
    Nope. It gave the 3DS Homebrew scene a much needed shot in the arm, and may have played some role in Gateway's upcoming release of a 9.2 exploit(?). Ninjhax opened up 3DS homebrew for a much wider audience- not just 4.5 users. You should be thanking smea et al. for all the work they put into crafting such a great launcher and tool set as well.

I also don't feel like I wasted any money on Cubic Ninja either. Mostly because I bought it early for a low price.

minexew, Minox, filfat and 2 others like this.
  9. jamieyello

jamieyello Professional Dumbass

Mar 11, 2013
    United States
    I know Gateway does everything and more, but one does not simply own a gateway and not pirate every single game that comes out.

If nintendo was open minded they could patch gateway and leave ninjhax alone, not that I want gateway to go away, for some people in some countries it's piracy or bust.

10. Gettwobirdsstone

Gettwobirdsstone Triforce Guardian

Jul 1, 2012
    Canada
    Behind you breathing heavily
    I found my copy at digital world, pawn shop, for 10$. GameStop informed me that nintendo has a recall on cubic Ninja. I had found a copy at a local GS and they told me it was recalled a few days before I went in. Might be BS from GS, lol.

11. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Weird thing is I remember way back when the game came out and read the Nintendo power review(r.I.p. NP) that said it was mediocre and best and didn't buy it when I could of bought it for like 15 bucks. Now I'm kicking myself for it. Anyway Im busting going to wait for the gateway updates and until I can save up to buy a gateway.

12. Blebleman

Blebleman GBAtemp Old-Timer

Nov 14, 2003
    Canada
    Chiba Prefecture , Japan
    A lot of exploits are like this -- you should know before you spend big amounts of money that it might only last two weeks before getting patched.

13. Neath
    OP

Neath Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 1, 2013
    Canada
    Ontario, Canada
    It may have helped out Gateway's release for sure, however, is owning it at this point with 9.x support on the way was the main question. Smea did an excellent job with his hack.

I don't think anyone is planning on updating past 9.2

14. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Honestly I think it will be best when the 3ds dies and Nintendo moves on to its successor (it should be in like 2 years with an extra 2 years of limited support) that way we won't havre to worry with firmware and can have a final version of gateway.

Margen67 and Subtle Demise like this.
  15. yuyuyup
    This message by yuyuyup has been removed from public view by Sicklyboy, Dec 4, 2014, Reason: Not 4chan.
    Dec 3, 2014
  16. kedest

kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 6, 2007
    Netherlands
    I paid 30 euro for my copy of cubic ninja. And now I'm thinking about buying a gateway. But I don't see my purchase of ninja as a waste of money. To me it was a fun introduction into the world of 3DS homebrew

Neath and mech like this.
  17. piratesephiroth

piratesephiroth I wish I could read

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    Don't waste your money.
    Ninjhax only allows homebrew. Gateway unlocks everything.

18. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

So? If he only wants homebrew, such is his prerogative, is it not? Maybe he doesn't want ROM loading. Not everyone who hacks their 3DS is interested in the Gateway or ROM loaders, so....if he wants to, so be it. C'est la vie.

minexew, Margen67 and dronesplitter like this.
  19. emmanu888

emmanu888 6 years and still going strong

Jan 25, 2009
    Canada
    Victoriaville,Québec
    I bought Cubic Ninja and i bought a Gateway. Hey if Gateway doesn't have perfect support for homebrews like Ninjhax does, then i can still use Ninjhax.

mech and the_randomizer like this.
  20. piratesephiroth

piratesephiroth I wish I could read

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    You got yours for free...

21. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    People keep saying Gateway might not have homebrew support right away or whatever, but couldn't you just run a Cubic Ninja rom on Gateway if that turned out to be the case? Or does that not work?

Margen67, Ericss and Neath like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.