PS1/2 Wasn't there some sort of memory/usb mod-chip a long time ago?

Majorami

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking to buy a new PS2 Slim and a whole lot of DVD-Rs. Not looking for the cheapest method, but the easiest method.

Wasn't there some sort of plug-n-play option for USB memory card/usb slot that allowed the PS2 to run any burned copy? just wondering.

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the program's called FreeMcBoot. Pretty much every mention of "soft-modding" your ps2 refers to this. There's a bunch of ways to get it onto a memory card. Of course, the easiest way is to have someone do it for you. There's a thread in this very category with people offering to do just that.

Majorami

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the program's called FreeMcBoot. Pretty much every mention of "soft-modding" your ps2 refers to this. There's a bunch of ways to get it onto a memory card. Of course, the easiest way is to have someone do it for you. There's a thread in this very category with people offering to do just that.
I already knew of FreeMcboot because of the guide, but the guide also said that it does not work on newer PS2 Slims and I intend to get the most recent/newest PS2 I can get a hold of just for the sake of having one in pristine new or like-new condition. So if FreeMcboot has been updated to run on any PS2 then I'm all ears/eyes.

The only REAL questions I have for soft mod other than version compatibility, PS1 compatibility, PS2 compatibility, and if the method of USB storage matters. Does it have to be USB Stick/flash drive? or can any form of transflash be used if its delivered via USB. Example: MicroSD to USB, or Micro SD to SD to USB.

Since MicroSD is so versatile, it is the only storage media that I really use, so I don't own a real Flashdrive, so I need to know that if that is something I should get.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The easiest method is:
A BC PS3 plus COBRA USB DONGLE
If your gonna whip out the money to get a new PS2 well might as well whip a few more dollars and get the best

Majorami

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The easiest method is:
A BC PS3 plus COBRA USB DONGLE
If your gonna whip out the money to get a new PS2 well might as well whip a few more dollars and get the best
I dont know what a BC ps3 is, I don't intend to own any ps3 until 2016, don't intend to buy a blu ray writer anytime soon, and I didn't intend to go over $200.

Its just a PS2 is $100 or less which gives me money room to look for the easiest, least hassle free of playing copied games. I wanted as close to new as possible PS2 for the sole reason of not wanting a console thats more than 2-3 used years old.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't intend to own any ps3 until 2016, don't intend to buy a blu ray writer anytime soon, and I didn't intend to go over $200.

Picky pirate yet you want to burn BR discs for the PS3.

PS3 games can be played off the internal HDD iirc.
Then why in gods name burn them on a BR disc.

Besides the PS2 phat can even play games off a "Internal" HDD.
It does require a HDD adapter but is cheaper in the long run then DVD's and it won't strain your laser.

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I dont know what a BC ps3 is
BC stands for backward compatible (the earliest model), the compatibility isn't 100% so it's better to stick to the ps2 if you aren't sure if all the game you want to play are compatible.
don't intend to buy a blu ray writer anytime soon
ps3 backup are loaded through the internal hdd or a with usb hdd/flash drive, there is no way of loading burned BD.
and I didn't intend to go over $200.
got a used one (non bc) with a cfw for 120$

Its just a PS2 is $100 or less which gives me money room to look for the easiest, least hassle free of playing copied games. I wanted as close to new as possible PS2 for the sole reason of not wanting a console that's more than 2-3 used years old.
Swap magic

even if it seems like it takes a lot to setup, freeMCboot + open ps2loader (loading through lan), it's paradise when it's done, much more convenient than swap magic as you don't have stand next to your ps2 to boot a game, you just boot and select a game from a list.

Reactions: 1 person

Majorami

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't intend to own any ps3 until 2016, don't intend to buy a blu ray writer anytime soon, and I didn't intend to go over $200.

It does require a HDD adapter but is cheaper in the long run then DVD's and it won't strain your laser.
1st off I NEVER mentioned anything about PS3, or wanting to play Blu Rays. I thought it was implied that I intend to use DVD-R. Remember DVD-R? Those relics that hold about 4.3 GB?

2nd off, I either mentioned this in another semi-related topic a few days ago, or wrote it up and forgot to submit, but I DON'T intend to to run any form of ISO of anything other than DVD-R. Infact its something I want to avoid. I used to have a Phat PS2. I used to have a harddrive in it, I used to have the network adapter, and the HDLoader on my memory card. It was bulky but awesome. NOW I want to keep my games on 10-cent DVD-Rs in a $10 CD case.

I know... how weird of me. Wanting to play burned DVDs on an outdated system, while keeping my games in a detachable format that can be stored on a shelf. How alien...

And I didn't completely blow off McBoot, I just want to know my options that stickies fail to give, as the only softmod guide in the sticky says that the method does not work on systems 9000xxx and above. Is it really that picky of me to want a PS2 that hasn't been in someone's possession or in use for more than 4 years? I mean its not like wanting a SNES or N64 where I'm a decade late to the game...

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

1st off I NEVER mentioned anything about PS3, or wanting to play Blu Rays. I thought it was implied that I intend to use DVD-R. Remember DVD-R? Those relics that hold about 4.3 GB?

2nd off, I either mentioned this in another semi-related topic a few days ago, or wrote it up and forgot to submit, but I DON'T intend to to run any form of ISO of anything other than DVD-R. Infact its something I want to avoid. I used to have a Phat PS2. I used to have a harddrive in it, I used to have the network adapter, and the HDLoader on my memory card. It was bulky but awesome. NOW I want to keep my games on 10-cent DVD-Rs in a $10 CD case.

I know... how weird of me. Wanting to play burned DVDs on an outdated system, while keeping my games in a detachable format that can be stored on a shelf. How alien...

And I didn't completely blow off McBoot, I just want to know my options that stickies fail to give, as the only softmod guide in the sticky says that the method does not work on systems 9000xxx and above. Is it really that picky of me to want a PS2 that hasn't been in someone's possession or in use for more than 4 years? I mean its not like wanting a SNES or N64 where I'm a decade late to the game...

I also never said that you wanted a PS3 immediately.
Lets say it's 2016 and you have a PS3 + a BDburner.
2 TB HDD's are worth 50 bucks and 20 BD discs are 50 bucks.

Why not dump every game on the internal drive of the PS3 instead of burning 20 discs.
It spares your laser, doesn't generate extra heat, doesn't give wear and tear on the "delicate" drive and is probably much faster to.
Not even accounting it's more cheaper in the long run and with the benefit that if you don't like a game that you can always delete it off the HDD.

OTT:
The 90k PS2's are from late 2007.
So if you're aiming for a

Majorami

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Why not dump every game on the internal drive of the PS3 instead of burning 20 discs.
It spares your laser, doesn't generate extra heat, doesn't give wear and tear on the "delicate" drive and is probably much faster to.
Not even accounting it's more cheaper in the long run and with the benefit that if you don't like a game that you can always delete it off the HDD.

OTT:

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

OTT:

Majorami

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah... I don't see where you said that the format of media matters or not.

I'll re-ask it."Does it have to be USB Stick/flash drive? or can any form of transflash be used if its delivered via USB."

The softmod sticky does require USB flash, and I say that this was a pretty important question to ask which form of flash I could ultimately use.

And I do need to have someone clarify to me that FreeMcboot has seen updates in the past that can work on any Slim or not. That guide was made almost in 2008, edited in 2010, with the creator stating that he's not going to bother keeping the guide updated because he has a life. So I happen to be ignorant of any PS2 hack advancements to have been made in the past 2-4 years, if at all. I happen to think that maybe the PS2 has seen some new hacks as there used to be a time where un-hacked systems, are suddenly hackable after advancements made over periods of time.

And regarding the game compatibility... I used to use HDLoader circa 2007. At the time it did not have 100% PS2 compatibility, nor did it run PS1 games. So I'd like to know some insight on McBoot's optical drive game compatibilities. I fully intend to go the disc route as its cheaper and more practicle for me. Obviously some games will require PFF patches, but I overally genuinely need to know how far can I take softmod compared to other methods.

And lastly, though I didn't ask you specifically to answer it, was the original question from the 1st post. "
Wasn't there some sort of memory/usb mod-chip a long time ago?"

Well I googled ps2 memory card mod chip and came accross something called memor32. Obviously I don't intend to get one, but it was the answer to my original question, I just don't know how useful it actually was though.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If you're real picky upon game compatibility then shut up and buy the games.

What you're asking is a brand new PS2 getting soft modded out of the box with a magic wand.

It doesn't matter if you use a USB stick / SD adapter / USB drive.
It only needs to contain the files.

If you want the ultimate compatibility chart then why not testing it yourself.

tl;dr.
Get a new PS2 and modchip it.
Get a old PS2 and softmod it.
Burn a couple of discs or keep it all stock and go out and buy some games.

Playing backupped games was never perfect and it will never be perfect.
It always requires effort to run them.

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
When I've recently found myself looking around on the internet for info on FreeMCBoot, I did find that a new hardware method of getting it on your Memory Card has recently surfaced, but again, it's not the cheapest route. There's an adapter you can buy to connect PS3 memory cards to your usb plug on your PC. Then you hook up a PS2 card to PS3 adapter to the other adapter, and you run the associated softwares, and boom, it's on your card. I'm not going to hunt for this, but I think it was on the PSX-Scene board.

Just an FYI

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I know I mentioned it in my previous post but i didn't do it clearly: Swap magic
It's the only "software" method of loading back-up on newer ps2 and it's possible to use ulaunch and home-brew in conjunction with swap magic on a non softmoded ps2.

http://www.swapmagic3.com/

there's a way to boot elf directly from the swap magic boot screen from a flash drive, you simply need a folder named SWAPMAGIC (case sensitive) with a file in it renamed SWAPMAGIC.ELF
http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/swapmagic.php

Majorami

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know I mentioned it in my previous post but i didn't do it clearly: Swap magic
It's the only "software" method of loading back-up on newer ps2 and it's possible to use ulaunch and home-brew in conjunction with swap magic on a non softmoded ps2.

there's a way to boot elf directly from the swap magic boot screen from a flash drive, you simply need a folder named SWAPMAGIC (case sensitive) with a file in it renamed SWAPMAGIC.ELF
http://bootleg.sksap...b/swapmagic.php
Doesn't that require a custom flip top?

Not against them, just need to know if I need to get one.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@choconado it IS the cheapest lets see... drive to wal-mart--- buy the adapter --- hack your memory card --- take the adapter back to the store --- cost = some gaz

I think OP is just trolling.

Reactions: 1 person

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

http://bootleg.sksap...b/swapmagic.php
Doesn't that require a custom flip top?

Not against them, just need to know if I need to get one.
it can be either that:
http://www.modchip.ca/store/product.php?productid=16524&cat=269&page=1
or you can block the sensors yourself with plastic tape and other stuff, plenty of tutorial on the web exist for each version of ps2.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally like modchips for PS2. Once installed it will boot just about any game without patching including PS1, no fmb splash screen (slightly longer turning on), no hassle of having to swap some/all games (fmb/swap magic), multi disc games, and what not.

If you are getting a new system, chips will be easiest to use. The installation would be a nightmare if never soldered properly before or worked with small components.
There isn't any other choice besides swap magic if you have a new system I would think. With swap magic you will have to swap disc or launching ulaunchelf/esr or similiar with it and switching disc.

Memor32 = Memory card with USB. With Memento softwares which performs like FMB w/ ESR. Unless you can find some old stock of PS2 before march 2008 (? DateC 8C IIRC ?) both of these will not work.

Edit: typo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool