Hacking Wasabi/Phat blues

bostonBC

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone else have the Wasabi on a phat Xbox 360? I've been modding my friends Xbox's and have run across a weird problem where some of the modded systems will work for a couple of days and then die. It gets stuck on the reading screen and never shows the menu or the game.

Wasabi support claims nobody else has had this kind of problem and I can't believe that I am the only one that has seen it.

For some Xbox's I've replaced the Wasabi 3x and they all last a short while.

I've tested them on my system and they work for days but when I put them in a friends Xbox they die almost instantly. Has anyone else seen the phats Wasabi's burn out and get stuck on the reading DVD screen?

bostonBC

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems like you haven't connected them properly.

Google also gives no answer?

I'm installing all of them the exact same way and some have worked perfectly, others die - usually in 2 days.

The fact that they work fine for several days and then die means I've connected them properly.

Google barely recognizes the Wasabi and their 'support' leaves much to be desired... they basically say nobody else has reported a problem which I have a hard time believing.

I think they have a problem with the phats but are afraid to admit it.

On the ones that fail one of the chips gets hot to the touch so I think it's a manufacturing or design problem.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That's a manufacturing error yep.

Chips getting extremely hot.
That shouldn't even occur in small PCB's
I don't assume the Wasabi has a gigantic CPU on board so it shouldn't overheat.

bostonBC

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a manufacturing error yep.

Chips getting extremely hot.
That shouldn't even occur in small PCB's
I don't assume the Wasabi has a gigantic CPU on board so it shouldn't overheat.

They have some custom ASICs but they are essentially just passing through data, there is no encryption/decryption that would take a lot of CPU horsepower.

Since it works on some but not others I am guessing that there are some power variations that they haven't accounted for and after a short period of use it's burning out a chip.

I am not en electrical engineer but they probably saved a few cents by not putting in sufficient voltage buffers.

If anyone is thinking of using a company called ChinaDistrib - don't bother. Their prices are great but they are either selling factory seconds or the Wasabi QC is really bad. And when you have a failure you have to pay shipping both ways for replacements.

And for the last 2 sets of replacements they required me to place another order before sending the replacements. I have no plans on ordering again so it looks like I am going to have to eat the cost of the bad ones as they won't send replacements... I googled them before placing an order and should have listened to the negative reviews :(

If you think their prices are good - factor in you will have to pay for shipping 3x and then there is no guarantee that they will send you anything but junk.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: That's what I like to see B-) +1