Wasabi Modchip

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Toutatis, Apr 18, 2008.

Apr 18, 2008

Wasabi Modchip by Toutatis at 8:01 PM (2,763 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Toutatis

Toutatis Newbie

Hello [​IMG]

I intend to install a Wasabi chip on my Wii (D2C chipset) (assembly carried out by a professional).

Therefore, I'd like to know your point of view about this chip, especially if you personnally own one : are you satisfied with it ? Is it worth buying ?

I'm interested in any experience : issues related to games working or Wii updates, positive (or negative) opinions about the modchip... in short, everything you

regard as interesting for someone who would be reluctant to buy it.

This chip being relatively recent, I did not find any much detailed review . I recognize that I may have not made enough search though ...

If you find any worthy Wasabi review, feel free to keep me informed about it. However, your personal opinions are much more appreciated [​IMG]

Thanks in advance for your answers and sorry for my low English level. [​IMG]
  2. SenorClean

Member SenorClean GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 21, 2008
    I have a wasabi in my D2C-D1A wii and am quite happy with it.

I have had no problems with games/updates. Everything I throw at it works - except SSBB when burned in certain drives, and truely awful dvd-r media (PRINCO) which is a limitation of the wii's dvd-rom, not the mod chip.

Installation is fairly easy, certainly for a professional.

There is an issue... where some wiis do not work with the wasabi properly. They need to have the mod chip reset before the chip will work. There are some fixes around (installing a capacitor / longer clk wire). I believe this issue is a timing one, which should be fixable in firmware.

I co-wrote a review a little while back... you can read it here -> http://www.speedlabs.org/index.php?page=sp...i_mod_v2_wasabi

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions.

As you seem to realise, the wasabi is new - and it uses a new method of modding the D2C. It does have some issues - and it may be worth your while waiting a few weeks for the D2Pro 9 wire version and/or new firmware from wasabi.

Of course, if a professional is installing your wii - maybe they can try the wasabi, if your wii is one of the unlucky ones that has problems - install a d2pro or argon.
  3. Defiance

Member Defiance oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Does GBAtemp still do reviews of modchips?
  4. DrHectic

Newcomer DrHectic Advanced Member

Feb 2, 2008
    I have a wasabi in my D2C Wii and I haven't had any issues with it. Seems to work fine with my media (Sony DVD+R) and does the job. Installation from a pro should be cheaper than the other D2C chips out there as well, which is a plus if you wanna save some money.
  5. Toutatis

Toutatis Newbie

Many thanks for all your answers.

According to all I've read on several forums (especially your review SenorClean, thanks for having posted it), the Wasabi seems to be a good chip. The

assembly is planed for end of April, I'll keep you informed. It could be useful for people who are skimming through this forum and still reluctant

to buy the Wasabi.

Thanks again.
  6. Toutatis

Toutatis Newbie

My Wii is now modded with a Wasabi. Everything is ok, I didn't experience any issue while playing, whatever the game. Updates work fine, it's perfect.

Thanks again for your advices.