Wasabi installation Problem

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Riku Akiyama, Jun 18, 2008.

Jun 18, 2008
  1. Riku Akiyama
    OP

Member Riku Akiyama GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I Have the System apart and ready to mod, its a 9-wire Wasabi chip on a D2C motherboard. I began Soldering but realized that I can't solder with pins that small. So now I Have 3 of the 9 soldered in and the Disc Drive still sits out. So I have no Idea what to do now. I Can't find ANY modding/Soldering Services near my area (Huntington, Indiana). And Really would really like it if I can possibly get some advice on this problem, Thanks in advance guys.

2. RGSPro

Newcomer RGSPro Newbie

United States
    You can also take off the wires that you have already done and get a wii-clip.

3. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    you should get a small soldering iron of 12watt or 15watt maximum. most of the time they come with a small tip so you can also solder the other points.

4. Arch Feline

Member Arch Feline GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Here's what I did. I looked at those pins and I watched me7r01ds soldering video on youtube and I practiced a lot and came to the same conclusion as you have - NO WaY.

Wii-clip is coming out with a Wasabi clip that handles 8 of the nine wires. I used the clip for the D2C key which took care of 6. Unfortunately, once you have soldered onto the pins you cannot use the Wii-clip.

Canadian computer repair shops can install chip legally and you may want to think of that. Australian shops will let you ship your Wii to them.

5. Riku Akiyama
    OP

Member Riku Akiyama GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Ok...Now here's the problem...I Managed to obtain a 15watt soldering iron...and I Filed down the tip to its finest. Well I have Every wire in except the 3 that need to be soldered down to the pins....and I believe I got some Solder stuck inbetween the pins. Which I've used a Solder sucker to get most of it out but I can't get the rest out. I've tried just about EVERYTHING. Can someone PLEASE help me out here? It looks like a HUGE mess...Here are the pictures of it so far
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, its a freaking mess. I just would like to know if there is a trick or secret to Soldering on the pins or if anyone has any suggestions as to how to remove the solder from said pins. (And if it will affect my Wii in any way)

6. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    it's always difficult with soldering it all depends on experience.

ic pins should not be touched with the iron for more then 3 seconds.
    but with solder sucker you have to heat it good before it will begin to suck the solder away.

you can also try to get the solder away by only using your soldering iron.

7. RGSPro

Newcomer RGSPro Newbie

United States
    You can try a copper desolder braid- as soon as you feel the solder melt under the copper braid, pull it away and continue as necessary until its all clean.