Wasabi!!! Greatest thing since sliced bread?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by mikesnickname, Mar 13, 2008.

Mar 13, 2008
  1. mikesnickname
    OP

Newcomer mikesnickname Member

Canada
    Hey,

Was just interested if anyone has gotten ahold of and installed a wasabi chip yet? I see that Ozmodchips.com has them in stock and canadamods.ca has already sold out!!

I want to know how you guys feel about this chip and most important (to me at least) the future support of it. Does anyone know any history of the company??

And if anyone does install the chip, please elaborate on the difficulty of install.

Thanks, and happy modding!! [​IMG]

Mike.

2. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    I'm curious about it. If reports of it working on a Wii that has cut pins are favorable, I'll get one. High compatibility or not.

The only game it must run for me is the USA Tales of Symphonia.

3. linuxares

Member linuxares GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    I have really high hopes on this chip actually.
    It will be a blast of this is really working for D2A to D2C without any hassle.

4. 2cb2ct7

Member 2cb2ct7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Look great!! Thanks for the post...

Finally; a simpler (and therefore cheaper installation) solution for D2C chips. My mate just forked out AU$220 to have the D2Pro installed. I'd be stoked if this becomes the new D2C chip standard... Presumably installation costs are less (5-9 wires vs 4 000 [​IMG])

5. Marticuno

Member Marticuno GBAtemp Regular

Norway
    Yeah sure, it looks great, but it's 60$ at OzMod :|

6. mikesnickname
    OP

Canada
    The number of wires is nice, but the huge selling feature to me is the upgradability via dvd disc. I've been looking at the argon chip over the past week, but it seems like a pain to update. Do you think that this feature will make it easier for nintendo to detect the mod?

7. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    That's only 39 euro. Seems like a fair price.

8. OzModChips

Member OzModChips GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    1.The team is new.
    2. its easy to install
    3. It works as advertised
    4. $220 aud is crazy for an install - we do it for D2c mods for $165
    5. Yes, it will probably be easier to detect, like all d2b mods using the serial port.
    6. $60aud is a good price considering is costs us more than Argon/D2pro to get!

9. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    do you also sell these in 10 packs with international shipping?

10. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Do any sellers of this ship to the USA?

11. mikesnickname
    OP

Canada
    @ Ozmodchips - Thank you, very informative.

I'm curious about your opinion as you seem to be an expert. What d2c chip would you choose?

@ The claw - Ozmod ships international.

He seems to be supporting the product and forum so I think we should support him.

12. Marticuno

Member Marticuno GBAtemp Regular

Norway
    Oh I'm sorry about complaining for the price, I thought it was Euros. I've been shopping too much on the internet lately, sorry OzMod.

13. OzModChips

Australia
    Yeah, just add 10 to your cart for the 10 pack. They are all going to sell out before we get to add the 10 packs with free ems on the website. Price will pretty much be the same anyway.

I'm not really an expert, I'm much like the consumer.

I wrote something on the product page about the wasabi not being upgradable 100%....which i know found out is not true.

This an unedited quote directly from the wasabi team tonight. They do seem like a great bunch of people so far

The modchip scene is fairly biased in certain places. You would all know that places like maxconsole will never really say anything good about something that isn't been sold by divineo. A lot of places will bag Argon, when its current firmware makes the modchip bug free. I think a lot of installers will badmouth this chip for no good reason. There is more money for me to make if I install a d2ckey/d2pro/argon in a wii - as it takes me longer to do. I can't justify charging people the same thing for a Wasabi install because to me is a walk in the park. So expect a lot of installers to keep away from it. Some installers havent even tried d2pro/argon yet!

Which modchip would i install right now?
    Its hard to say.

- Still need to test the modchip out a little more, but tests so far indicated its fine
    - I know the modchip will be supported, i can just tell by the responsive nature of the team
    - I wouldn't be yanking any D2c mods out to put this in...but if you haven't put a wii modchip in your wii - then why not!!!

14. ModchipCentral

Member ModchipCentral GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    We at www.ModchipCentral.com are getting our shipment on Monday. So if you are from USA / Canada, order away as I'm sure we will sell out quick [​IMG]

15. pianko

Banned pianko Banned

China
    We are based in Taiwan.

We also have stock of wasabi now.

We are welcome people living in Asia to buy from us.

Please visit www.pianko.net (Chinese Blog)

If you would like to order Argon, D2pro, Wasabi, you can also write mail to me

piankogame@gmail.com

[​IMG]

16. mikesnickname
    OP

Canada
    *wishes that there was a perfect mod*. Guess i'm just going to have to wait a month or two to see how the chip fairs. My poor wii will be very lonely.

17. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Oh, OK. One last question. Are those prices in Australia, Canada, or US dollars? They use the same $ symbol after all. [​IMG]

18. Kiljaeden

Member Kiljaeden GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Ozmodchips, are you going to be trying to get distribution for the Wii Clip? It'd be a perfect compliment for the Wasabi chip.

19. arsehat

Member arsehat GBAtemp Regular

Australia

You know, that's not far away from a completely solderless universal Wii modchip - I wouldn't be surprised to see such a thing on the market in a few months. G, H, I and CLK could be jumpered (not used for DMS/D2A/D2B, used for D2c), and it would be possible to get "F" by running the drive ribbon cable into a connector on this hypothetical modchip's board and a ribbon cable from the board into the connector to the right of point F in the illustration. Sure, it'll increase the complexity (and thus, cost) of the chip somewhat, but a pre-assembled combination has to be more attractive to some users or installers than a Wasabi and Wiiclip combination, or a soldered Wasabi.

Does anyone know what happens if G, H, I and CLK are connected up on DMS/D2A/D2B Wasabi installations? If they simply have no effect on the older chips, that could make for a far simpler univeral solderless chip - no jumpers or DIL switches would mean less fuss.

20. OzModChips

Australia
    Prices are in AUD
    wasabi is 70% sold now.... we have been so busy sending all the orders that where placed last night - this modchip is going to be HUGE, i can feel it.

We researched the wii-clip and are staying away from it. Its not a proper solution. Solder is a proper solution. If a bunch of spanish guys can't make 50% of their products work for 6 pins, what makes you think that a binch of random asians, whose only claim to fame is a clone of d2ckey, can make one work for 30+ connections?

Blown up ICs,
    Cusotmers complaining after 1 week, 1 month, 1 year that they have to keep re-adjusting it.....nothing somthing we can hadle.

Its a good idea, but if it was that good don't you think d2ckey/d2pro would have made one? I asked they why not, and they said a proper solution for a clip would cost 100 USD +. These e-cheapo ones will be no good.

Trust me...wait 6 months after they come out and ask everyone what they think