Wasabi DX and heat problems when using isolation tape?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by DualGuy, Mar 23, 2009.

1. DualGuy
    OP

Newcomer DualGuy Member

Germany
    Hi,

I have installed a Wasabi DX today and it's working fine so far. However, I'm wondering how hot the chip gets after a few hours of gameplay...

It's covered with isolation tape all over it, because I was afraid of potential shortcuts.
    Can someone tell me if heat generation could become a problem here?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. DualGuy
    OP

Newcomer DualGuy Member

Germany
    Does nobody know if a lot of isolation tape harms the modchip and/or console?

3. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Well, I've put some isolation tape on my WiiKey1 too, and yeah, it made some heat.

But disabling WiiConnect24 solved the issue [​IMG] Then I guess that if you disable WiiConnect24, you should be fine [​IMG]

4. DualGuy
    OP

Newcomer DualGuy Member

Germany
    Thanks for the info. I don't use WiiConnect anyway, but it might be turned on... will check that. Actually, my Wii is just a few days old and I didn't went through all the options yet [​IMG]

Does somebody else have any experience with that matter?

5. moli

Newcomer moli Member

Hungary
    i'm using wasabi dx for 6 days now [​IMG] , tested about 50-55 games and played at least 6 hours in a row, nothing bad happened yet. i put on electrical insulation tape on one side of the chip, it is facing towards the dvd pcb. cooling is original, i looked for a cooling mod but found nothing sensible. wiiconnect24 is disabled for me, because it consumes 11 watts

6. afnuke

Member afnuke GBAtemp Regular

United States
    just dont use wiiconnect........my wii was fine for a year.......played online for one night, about 2 hours, now my gpu has been fried.....have articles on screen....make sure that your wii sits so that the intake air holes can bring cool air in........the wii bases are not good for it. and the mplayer will heat the chip up a lot, have checked it with thermal sensor.....I dont suggest playing movies unless you keep it pushing some air. the case for the wii is just too small ......nintendo could of done better, smaller isnt always better

7. Shebang

Member Shebang GBAtemp Fan

Belgium
    i did not isolate anything and it works fine (so far) ... knock on wood

8. afnuke

Member afnuke GBAtemp Regular

United States
    My old wii fried the GPU while I was watching a movie with Mplayer. I got a new wii from nintendo and installed a chip........and ....had to find a way to cool the thing down. even the gamecube Ive got has twice the fan power and twice the vents to cool it down. So I took a computer power supply and took the fan off of it. Its a big one, about 2.5 inches. I made a homemade box under the wii and attached the fan to blow through the bottom on the wii. Found an old power adapter and wired it to a switch and to the fan. With a thermal probe, I see that the wii is less than twice as hot as it was before.....and it will really push some heat out the back. And theres enough air to push up into the disc drive to make sure theres no hot spots. I use to always get a hot spot on the left side, near the back at the bottom, near the gpu. not anymore.....cool cool cool. Nintendo did a very bad design with the fan....and hooking up a usb fan will only heat it up more.