Hacking Was there ever a consensus on the CFW to use?

lostreverie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like should we use the CFW creator or what? Can you play games with just that + multiman / rogero manager? Everything on the PS3 scene is so divided, it's hard to keep up with.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Generally, 70% of the scene uses 3.55-kmeaw. MultiMan and Gaia are roughly as popular as each other, with Rogero trailing third. BlackBox is popular as an FTP, but most guides actually recommend OpenFTP (I can't get BlackBox working anyway). External 2.5" HDDs are the most popular because they don't need extra power. Also, everybody should buy Little Big Planet 2 because it's just awesome.

Finally, Blue Team is better than Red Team. That's the general consensus anyway.

Shabutie78

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
simple. if you want CFW, use Waninkoko v2.
kmeaw "fanboys" only say it's better because of what happened with Waninkoko v1, even though it's not even a true CFW - just a HEN (no imbedded payload/still requires lv2 to be patched each time you turn on the PS3).
you could always make your own CFW with the CFW creator but to make things simple and stable, stick with Waninkoko v2.

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I used to use kmeaw's but I just recently switched over to using the MWF made in PS3MFW Builder just to have the disable output log feature for safety reasons (Dunno if kmeaw's has this feature but whatever). For some reason though, I still have to use the lv2 patcher on it even though I had the Patch LV2 kernel option checked.

Anyway, they're all not too different from each other, at least as far as I can tell.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
kmeaw "fanboys" only say it's better because of what happened with Waninkoko v1
I will disregard your statement until you can tell me exactly what is the difference between Waninkoko V2 and kmeaw CFW. Nobody has been able to answer me that so far. Until then, I'm sticking with kmeaw - not because it's better or because I prefer it, but because it just works.

Also, I've yet to need the lv2 patcher on kmeaw. I don't even know what it's supposed to do.

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It supposedly fixes some sort of bug with the lv2 peek/poke system I think. I just know that I still need it for some games since I can't run Star Ocean without it.

Shabutie78

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
QUOTE said:
I will disregard your statement until you can tell me exactly what is the difference between Waninkoko V2 and kmeaw CFW. Nobody has been able to answer me that so far. Until then, I'm sticking with kmeaw - not because it's better or because I prefer it, but because it just works.

Also, I've yet to need the lv2 patcher on kmeaw. I don't even know what it's supposed to do.

kmeaw isn't a CFW.
i just said the differences in my first post. kmeaw isn't a CFW, it's just a homebrew-enabled firmware. in order to get backups working on it you need to run lv2.pkg to patch lv2 or you need to run a backup manager that patches it for you. and in your case, you're doing the latter. waninkoko v2 is a true CFW, in that it doesn't need lv2 to be patched each time you turn on the PS3, and has an embedded payload (and an extremely stable one at that).
i feel more comfortable running a stable CFW without patching anything every single time i want to run backups and that's simpy my preference.
if only waninkoko v1 hadn't been fucked, and made all the ignorants start hating on his work, it would be more popular than kmeaw.

i'm not saying you're a fanboy of kmeaw, it was more of a "for lack of a better term." hence the quotes.

also, MFW > anything pretty much.

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
For most people kmeaw + multiman is where it's at right now, unless you're up for a game of Russian roulette with waninkoko's cfw. There's really no added benefit or convenience to using it though. You still have to FTP games, fix permissions, load a backup launcher, go back to XMB, etc etc.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shabutie78 said:
Originality said:
QUOTE said:

kmeaw isn't a CFW.
i just said the differences in my first post. kmeaw isn't a CFW, it's just a homebrew-enabled firmware. in order to get backups working on it you need to run lv2.pkg to patch lv2 or you need to run a backup manager that patches it for you. and in your case, you're doing the latter. waninkoko v2 is a true CFW, in that it doesn't need lv2 to be patched each time you turn on the PS3, and has an embedded payload (and an extremely stable one at that).
i feel more comfortable running a stable CFW without patching anything every single time i want to run backups and that's simpy my preference.
if only waninkoko v1 hadn't been fucked, and made all the ignorants start hating on his work, it would be more popular than kmeaw.

i'm not saying you're a fanboy of kmeaw, it was more of a "for lack of a better term." hence the quotes.

also, MFW > anything pretty much.

kmeaw IS a CFW. Saying it isn't just because it enables homebrew is contradictory. Somebody had to customize the code to allow that in the first place. Thus making it a CUSTOM FirmWare. Now, before you go pointing the "kmeaw fanboy" stick, I tried out Waninkoko V1 and V2. V1 worked fine for me, but V2 had stability issues. It froze when using dynamic themes. Thus I switched back to kmeaw. And all that payload stuff can easily be worked around by installing BDEmu ONCE. The latest MultiMAN uses it, and it creates a situation where LV2 patching isn't needed. Seriously, by the sounds of it you are a Waninkoko fanboy.

If you want something that's easy to use, that still runs rather well with dynamic backgrounds, go ahead with kmeaw.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
OpenFTP accept CHMOD command, so it's better than BlackBox ftp for the file permission.
Using BlackBox, you have to fix the permissions (in fact giving all permission to all file in all folders and subfolders), instead of transferring the files and setting a permission only on these files, not the entire hdd.

I still haven't test OpenFTP, but I'll use it next time and compare stability with Blackb0x ftp which I always used fine (but I'm using hermes payload, so there's no problem with files permission).

lostreverie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems like it's kmeaw or waninkoko. I'm a little disappointed nothing new has hit the scene, and especially to hear that we're still stuck using ftp to transfer games. But with all the roaring and hissing coming from Sony right not, I guess that's not really surprising.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Actually there have been 2 new CFW after Wanin v2 - one of which pre-patches the CA24/7.cer files for use with F-PSN. They're just not that popular because they don't really bring anything new to the table (at least, nothing new that a minute of FTP couldn't match).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Green name speaks true :P