Hacking Was the whole HDD spindown issue ever fixed?

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering, was the whole HDD spindown issue with Wii USB loaders ever fixed? I got a hard drive to do USB loading with about a week ago and just now I'm learning about this issue. I'm seeing some people saying it was never fixed, and some saying cIOS fixed it, and it's making me very confused. I just want a clear answer, man.
For reference, the hard drive in question is a Western Digital 2TB My Passport.
The Wiki says the sleep timer on this one can be configured with WD-IdleDisable-Tool, but it looks like this tool has been completely removed from WD's website and from what I can find, only ever supported WD Elements drives.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Not sure, what I can say though is that I personally never had any issues with spindown on the Wii, games always worked fine across multiple consoles and drives so it didn't seem to be an especially common issue at the very least.

Fawe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There's a program called "WD Drive Utilities" that should be able to disable the spindown on WD Drives. I personally don't have any Western Data HDDs so I instead use a nifty little program called "HDDScan" which can do a lot of helpfull things, including disabling the spindown on any common HDD.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for suggesting hdparm, @IC_! As it turns out, spindown was already disabled on my drive. The Advanced Power Management feature is already set to 128 according to hdparm, which doesn't permit spindown, as per the wiki you linked.

nashismo

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
AAAAHH the good old spin down MFing problem! No, no solution! It sucks ass, it depends on your HDD, no way to fix it, believe me, don't waste your time. I have wasted days of my life on that and it is not worth it. Besides, Sega CD games have issues with "all" HDD's on the Wii, so you need an SD card for those games anyways. The rest, like Wii backups and Nintendon't don't have issues with the spin down problematic HDD's. Only emulators.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1