Was Okamiden the last great game for the DS?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Kitanode, Mar 25, 2011.

Mar 25, 2011
  1. Kitanode
    OP

Newcomer Kitanode Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Is there any more decent games scheduled for release on the DS or will it now be left behind in the wake of the 3DS?
    I don't think there are any games that i'm anticipating in the future which is pretty sad 'cos throughout the life of the DS so far there was always another good game every couple of months or so.

I've owned consoles since the NES back in the early nineties and the DS is by far the one i've enjoyed and played the most( i take it everywhere) and i really hope it popularity lasts a little longer,especially saying as we could be entering a 'golden age' of homebrew with the DSi abilities of the console finally starting to be used.

Also, to think that recently we had Pokeblack/white, Golden Sun, Radiant Historia, DQ VI, Okamiden, Ghost Trick and now nothing....

If Ninty has stopped supporting the DS i hope there will still be a homebrew scene 'cos there's no way i'll be trading mines in for a 3DS, although i do want to own one eventually.

I had a shot of one in 'game' (i only went in to have a look honest!!) last Friday and what struck me most was the resolution and the slimness of it. Pilotwings was quite addictive and the staff kept asking for it back but i just ignored them. People should not be expecting a total 3d virtual reality type console. The 3d just seems to add a bit of depth but it's very nice none the less. I also thought the screen size seemed quite small, probably cos i'm used to my DSiXL so i hope they bring out a bigger screen version later, the resolution would definitely still look good on a bigger screen.

2. Strider

Member Strider Next to the mainstream

I'll work the same way as when the DS came out. The DS games will phase out slowly. There are no noteworthy upcoming games that I know of, all for me are on the 3DS (especially Paper Mario).

3. hkz8000

Member hkz8000 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    well there's still devil survivor 2 and hopefully the fourth professor layton to look forward to. [​IMG]

4. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Monster Tale was released after it.

So I'll say no.

5. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    A new Duke Nukem game is apparently on the way (not the homebrew version).

6. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Monster Tale was good (almost done with my second playthrough), but yeah, Okamiden was probably the last "great" game for the system. I don't see anything else on the horizon that will do better. After playing the first Devil Survivor, I can't say I'm all that excited for a sequel. I am looking forward to the new Thor game by WayForward, but if it's anything like the Batman game, it'll be pretty short, not something that will satisfy for long.

7. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    Dude, Super Mario 64 DS wa the last good game on the DS.

8. Fel

Member Fel GBAtemp's Adventurer

Czech Republic
    I thought Solatorobo and Ninokuni are being localized?

9. Jax

Member Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Portugal
    What about Ace Attorney Investigations 2? I hope it's being localized...

10. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I hate looking to other consoles and history for clues but it usually takes a while for consoles to truly die not to mention if new games stop coming out it is about then that hackers tend to descend upon the system (it is a variation on the- "if the game is going to come out it is not only pointless but perhaps less than moral to translate it").

11. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Thor: God of Thunder (WayForward so it stands a good chance of being good, plus previews say its good)
    Captain America: Super Soldier (Griptonite developed so could be good)
    Max & the Magic Marker (should suit handheld touchscreen devices better than WiiWare)
    Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2
    Devil Survivor 2
    The new Kirby game.
    Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth 2

Plus Nintendo have said that they may be localising a lot of older Japanese titles.

The end of the GBA lifespan had some pretty damn good games with some surprising gems, in fact the licensed ones weren't too bad either. Plus its so cheap to develop a game that some smaller devs could be tempted to do something great seeing that there are so many millions of gamers who own a DS.

12. Jugarina

Member Jugarina GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Hell Yeah Devil Survivor 2! Long live Atlas and the Atlas Faithful!

13. Sausage Head

Banned Sausage Head Lord Sausage LXIX

Netherlands
    The last game I've actually enjoyed was Plants Vs. Zombies, but of course, lots of people will disagree with me [​IMG]

14. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I don't think Okamiden will be the last great game on the DS, it's just that any decent regular DS game coming now will have less fanfare behind it. What constitutes a "great" game is also very subjective. There may be a few games still coming that I'll love, but no one else will care about, and vice versa. I think there will be games that appear that will surprise us....they'll show up with no prior knowledge of their existence, but actually be worth playing. I doubt there are many DS games left that will ever get the coverage they used to before the 3DS arrived, regardless of whether they are worthy of hype or not.

The 3DS will get all the attention now and the DS will go mostly ignored as far as reviews and previews. Some review sites have already done this by changing their DS section to a 3DS section. I think this is a bad decision. All they are managing to do now is confuse and annoy by cluttering the DS section with 3DS pre/reviews, just like they did with the DSi. You look at some game and think, "Hey! This looks cool!" then find out it was a stinking DSiWare title and not a retail cart, which renders that game completely useless on a regular DS. I read the whole preview/review and THEN realise it was for a variation of DS that I don't have. Very annoying! I really hate how they lump DS/DSi and 3DS into one category without even bothering to tell you what system a game is for in the titles for the individual pre/reviews. It's just poor organization. Just because a person has a DS, doesn't mean they care about the DSi or 3DS and to lump the 3 (technically) different systems all together like that is just shortsighted and lazy. DS/DSi I can sort of understand, other than DSiWare, they essentially play the same games, but the 3DS is a totally different system and it only dilutes any interest in attempting to read reviews at that site when you have to sift through reviews for systems other than the one you have.

So no, Okamiden isn't the last great game on the regular DS, it's just among the last of the great games that we'll really have any prior expansive knowledge of for the DS. Some AAA DS title comes along now and it will get maybe a quicky paragraph as a preview, if any coverage at all, unless they PAY for more expansive coverage. The rest will be sleeper-hits, hidden gems, pure surprises, etc. And let's not forget, plenty of shovelware. Everything is all about the 3DS now, the DS is old-hat, soon to be forgotten.

15. thedicemaster

Member thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    i think some of the best games came out after the system they where made for was being replaced.
    for example, kingdom hearts chain of memories on the GBA.

16. rockerzz182

Member rockerzz182 GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    In waiting for the localization of Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth 2 and Harvest Moon Twin Villages..

17. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    /Dry mouth

18. Necron

Member Necron Lurking~

Chile
    Probably, this year we will see some worthy games, the consoles are like that, very good/good in the beginning, fine in the middle, with exceptions and good in the end. Remember Yggra Union, the last game for GBA? it was awesome. So I'll say no.

19. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    I wouldnt really call Okamiden "great"

but anyway there still a few more games on the way and another layton game if im not mistaken

20. Oveneise

Member Oveneise GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Personally, I'm looking forward to Duke Nukem: Critical Mass.