Was anyone able to overcome the "Failed to connect" error in run.bat?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by master_yoda, Jun 12, 2015.

1. master_yoda
    OP

master_yoda Member

Newcomer
    Jan 18, 2015
    Somalia
    So in order to use Palantine/PBT/Pasta/patched rxTools you need to transfer a CIA Manager over the network. You're supposed to find the IP of your 3DS, edit run.bat with it and then start it. The IP is correct, pinging the 3DS works but after running run.bat the wireless light on the 3DS blinks and I get Failed to Connect every time.

I've tried this on two lap tops, formatted the SD card and redid everything, tried using BigBlueMenu instead of DevMenu, turning the firewall off, making the network public without any password protection, setting a manual IP address/gateway, setting up a hotspot with Connectify and possibly some more stuff that I forgot about.

I've searched quite a bit and I'm obviously not the only one who's had this problem, some recommended opening the browser after getting into the CFW and visiting a page but opening the browser freezes the 3DS everytime if the wireless is turned on. So my question is, did anyone go through something
    similar but was able to overcome the error or is it just the case of it works for some straight away without any hassle and doesn't and can't at all for others?

Edit: Problem solved! Two of us (so far) solved this error after formatting the 3DS from the System Settings! Big thanks to @RepeatingDigits!

Last edited by master_yoda, Jun 13, 2015
    Dartz150 likes this.

2. VerseHell

VerseHell GBAtemp Psycho!

Jun 29, 2014
    France
    I got this error too, I connected both my console and my laptop to a mobile hotspot and it worked fine.

3. master_yoda
    OP

master_yoda Member

Newcomer
    Jan 18, 2015
    Somalia
    Mobile hotspot as in tethering your Wi-Fi connection to your smart phone and then connecting both the laptop and the 3DS to it?

4. VerseHell

VerseHell GBAtemp Psycho!

Jun 29, 2014
    France
    Yes. Then I used wireless Network watcher for the IP.

5. master_yoda
    OP

master_yoda Member

Newcomer
    Jan 18, 2015
    Somalia
    OK it's worth a shot, I'll try it.

6. hremerald

hremerald GBAtemp Regular

Jan 24, 2015
    France
    The SD card depend also, with a samsung SD card it's impossible for example, the best brand for this is Toshiba.
    (And i've try both, it never works on a samsung sd card)

7. master_yoda
    OP

master_yoda Member

Newcomer
    Jan 18, 2015
    Somalia
    I have the 4GB one that comes with the European old 3DS XL.

8. hremerald

hremerald GBAtemp Regular

Jan 24, 2015
    France
    It depend also on the sd card class, but with the one from the console, we don't know

9. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

Nov 6, 2005
    United States
    Foggy California
    Have you tried using a different wireless network?

10. master_yoda
    OP

master_yoda Member

Newcomer
    Jan 18, 2015
    Somalia
    I brought my 3DS to college but couldn't connect to the Wifi since you need to enter a username as well as a password and the 3DS doesn't support that.

And I stupidly overlooked the fact that you apparently can't use your Wifi connection for the mobile hotspot thing, you're supposed to use your phone's internet which I don't have.

11. RepeatingDigits

RepeatingDigits GBAtemp Regular

Apr 9, 2015
    Cote d'Ivoire
    I did. My procedure was as follows to -not- use PBT ever again.

0.- Made a backup of my original 9.2.0-20U NAND and my "Nintendo 3DS" folder.
    1.- Downgraded from 9.2.0-20U with GW's downgrader to 4.2.
    2.- Updated to 4.5.0-9U with a copy of SMTIV. (This step is optional.)
    3.- Installed MSET exploit through Spider.
    4.- Fixed title and import.db by going into 3DS software management.

At this point I tried to use PBT holding the L button to activate the network server feature. Long story short, the system was extremely unstable after the downgrade, and it crashed very often while on PBT, always got "failed to connect". So, what I did was...

5.- Format SysNAND through system settings. (This will change your "Nintendo 3DS" folder IDs on the SD card)
    6.- Reinstalled MSET exploit through Spider.
    7.- Boot into PBT, open the browser. This time it didn't crash, and I could successfuly send BBM through the network. after it was done, I pressed the Home button and there it was, Title manager.
    8.- Turned off the 3DS, turned it on again and made a backup of the 4.5.0-9U NAND with Gateway's launcher.dat, and the Nintendo 3DS folder.

At this point, you have a 4.5 NAND with Title Manager tickets, so you can just flash this when you want CFW, then boot pasta and you're good to go. Don't lose the Nintendo 3DS folder with BBM installed!

I suggest using sysupdater 0.4 to update this NAND to 9.2.0-20U, backing up this NAND and then use rxTools with sig patches disabled to have 7.X keys and BBM access. (Which will allow you to play newer games.)
    From there on, you can install emuNAND and inject your old original NAND on it, update emuNAND to 9.8 using rxTools if you're on a O3DS, and just play on.

Last edited by RepeatingDigits, Jun 12, 2015
    Dartz150 and master_yoda like this.
  12. master_yoda
    OP

master_yoda Member

Newcomer
    Jan 18, 2015
    Somalia
    So if I got that right formatting the 3DS (not the SD card) was what made the PBT (which I'm using as well since patched rxTools should be the easisest to set up this way?) not be as unstable and prone to freezes as it is now, fixing the failed to connect error in the process?

I should select Format System Memory from the System Settings? What will I lose with that though, the Activity Log and what else? It'll still stay on 4.5 (that's what you get after downgrading a EUR old 3DS XL), right? My DS flashcard doesn't work above 4.5 so I want to stay on that when not using emuNAND.

13. Dartz150

Dartz150 GBATemp Official Lolicon Onii-chan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    For me, still freezing when entering the web browser, my SD is a ADATA btw.

14. Dartz150

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    Just did your method and... YOU TRULY ARE THE FUCKING MASTER, YOUR METHOD WORKS!!!!! :toot::yaynds:

RepeatingDigits and master_yoda like this.
  15. master_yoda
    OP

master_yoda Member

Newcomer
    Jan 18, 2015
    Somalia
    So you can confirm that formatting from the system settings fixed this for you Dartz?

Dartz150 likes this.
  16. nastys

nastys ナースティス

Aug 5, 2014
    Italy
    Earth
    You can start a hotspot offline (without WiFi or mobile data), you don't need Internet to install the CIA manager.
    You can also start a hotspot from your PC and tether the WiFi connection via USB from the phone, if you really need that.

17. Dartz150

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    Of course it did work, 100% confirmed :D, I'm so Happy, upgrading my emuNAND right now for use with RXTools unsigned ver.

Make sure to back up all your SD contents, emuNAnd included.

master_yoda likes this.
  18. master_yoda
    OP

master_yoda Member

Newcomer
    Jan 18, 2015
    Somalia
    I just formatted my 3DS and holy shit I can confirm that Dev Menu transferred on my first try! @RepeatingDigits you're the man! This should really be added to all the tutorials since we were definitely not the only two people having this problem and I didn't see this mentioned anywhere else.

I have Pasta working, now to look into how to set up the patched RxTools. :D

19. Koryushin

Koryushin GBAtemp Regular

Mar 26, 2015
    France
    Good to know.

20. Dartz150

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    This needs to have it's own thread, or edit the OP and change the title, there are a LOT of people with the same problem.

Koryushin likes this.