OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
504x_sea_transport.jpg

The website of concept artist Fred Gambino (via Superannuation) has some pieces for a project called "Epic Mickey", described as an "interactive game". Which just so happens to be the same codename from the Gamasutra article. Interesting!

Most interesting is the fact the artwork on Gambino's site differs from that described in the original Gamasutra piece, meaning we've got some bonafide corroboration going on here, making the whole thing feel awfully legitimate to us.

It's unclear what the status of this project is at the moment, or what the final game will actually play like (though rumours suggest it's a platformer), but we certainly like the direction it's taking, incorporating not just Disney characters, but the theme parks as well. A floating Epcot Center dreadnaught, complete with Monstro hull and Steamboat propulsion, is something we never thought we'd see, but are super-glad we did.

UPDATE - cuyahoga over on GAF has done a little more digging, and found the portfolio (always with the artist portfolios!) of Gary Clover, who it seems is also/has worked on the game. Among his pics is this jaw-dropping beach landing scene, which was described in the original Gamasutra article.

504x_landing.jpg

So it looks like Warren Spector's Junction Point Studios are working on a Disney game code-named "Epic Mickey". The concept art looks amazing, but we still have questions. Like what platform is it for?

Headline kind of gives it away. The resume of another guy who's working on the game, Tony Pulham, says it's for the Wii. And since he's a concept designer, not a programmer or level artist, that makes it sound like there's only a Wii version.

Hopefully Nintendo's machine, and the team at Junction Point, can do that concept art justice.

I dont know about you guys but I'm extremely excited to see if this game is still in development. The art looks great and has been described as a Mario killer in the past. Don't forget Disney is taking they're games very seriously. They have Turok and Spectrobes under the belt. And they actually made a movie game; G-Force, not completely suck. I have faith in Disney. Oh and for those that don't know Warren Spector is know for the Deus Ex series. And sorry on the typo of collaborate on the header.

I almost forgot about this:

"Warren's hard at work. He has a team working on a great project. We're going to show it when it's right and ready. We're very encouraged by what we're seeing. I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised." - Disney's Graham Hopper
For more art work hit up the sources.

That was said just last month.

Source
Source
Source

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hop2089 said:
I hope this is a console game, looks pretty much like it would be for the PS3 and/or 360.
You didn't read all of it did you? As far as everyone knows its a Wii exclusive. But of course anything could happen.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd love to see this, I really like seeing popular characters remade.

Love to see Ninetndo characters in this way too or even this way:

ancientmario.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over