Hacking WARNING!!! SX OS 2.9 BETA: Major issues reported including black screen after 9.0.0 update attempt

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
people on 9.0 should use hekate to load the sx payload to get the AutoNOGC protection
Won't work, hekate's own patches only apply when booting (atmosphere) cfw directly from hekate, not when chainloading another payload. Loading the SX payload from hekate will do exactly what the SX payload always does, in this case no gc protection.

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Won't work, hekate's own patches only apply when booting (atmosphere) cfw directly from hekate, not when chainloading another payload. Loading the SX payload from hekate will do exactly what the SX payload always does, in this case no gc protection.

oh well probly the reason they haven't been quick to provide a fix for xci loader. i thought since your loaded hekate first it provid those protections

SaggyBeans

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I’m getting word that TX have already fixed most of the bugs. They just have a couple they’re still working on and then they’ll be releasing the next SX OS revision.

s2601d

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Latvia
Fellow gbatemp users,

It has been reported by many SX OS users that the latest SX OS 2.9 BETA is causing several different types of issues, some of which are quite major. This thread is to help warn others who may see the post created by "GaryOPA" titled: "TX Presents SX OS v2.9 BETA - With Full v9.0 Firmware Support!" and quickly jump to the latest BETA 2.9 release without realizing the potential issues at hand.

The main issue of concern is:
1) When a user downloads the latest SX OS 2.9 BETA, copies the new boot.bin to their microSD card, boots into the new 2.9 BETA CFW and initiates a firmware update to 9.0.0 (and possibly other firmware versions) using ChoiDujourNX version 1.0.1, it may cause the update to stop partially through on the "flashing firmware packages 0/6" screen. When this happens the user is forced to hard reboot the console which results in a black screen. At this point many users chose to restore their NAND backups in order to get access back into SX OS again. Others mention that they are able to load into atmosphere cfw and downgrade their firmware back to 8.1.0 and use SX OS 2.8 again. For those who ran into this issue while using emunand are able to re-create emunand which also seems to correct the issue.

**There is a work around that I and others were able to do to avoid the above issue: it required you to load into SX OS 2.8 and install firmware 9.0.0 using ChoiDujourNX version 1.0.2, once this is completed you are able to change boot.bin to the latest 2.9 version. Other methods for updating firmware successfully include using TXInstaller, Tinfoil, official Nintendo servers, etc.**

This leads us to another issue:
2) Users have also been reporting that the latest SX OS 2.9 BETA when loading into 9.0.0 firmware causes a GCFuse to burn (Game Cart Fuse) that prevents you from using game carts on firmware versions lower then 9.0.0.

3) Using the latest SX OS 2.9 BETA on firmware 9.0.0: This seems to break custom XCI loading. We are unsure if this is related to the GCFuse burn. Waiting to see if this can be corrected with a new SX OS revision.

Minor Issues:
4) Using the latest SX OS 2.9 BETA on firmware 9.0.0 in docked mode: When exiting the album using the "B" button, it causes an error.
5) Using the latest SX OS 2.9 BETA on firmware 8.1.0: When attempting to initiate a firmware update to 9.0.0 using ChoiDujourNX version 1.0.2 it stops on the "Testing for BIS Protection" screen, user is forced to do a hard reboot but is able to get back into SX OS 2.9 still on firmware 8.1.0.
6) Using the latest SX OS 2.9 BETA on firmware 9.0.0: No longer allows you to install incognito.

I realize that there may be more issues I am unaware of. Some of the mentioned issues may only affect certain users. There may be more workarounds for some of these issues and many of these issues may be resolved by an update by TX. We are noticing that GBAtemp mods have not changed the title to GaryOPA's thread to include a "Warning" as many people have repeatedly asked within that thread. We have also not heard from GaryOPA or TX on these issues recently. TX did make a post on their discord warning the following, quote:

"
@everyone There have been enough reports of people having trouble upgrading to 9.0 with choidujourNX... Please just stay on 8.1.0 until further notice while we look into what is going on. If you insist on upgrading it seems the 2.8 boot.dat file is not showing the same problems.
Remember

1: ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR NAND BEFORE CHANGING FIRMWARE VERSIONS. ALWAYS - NO EXCEPTIONS!

2: Disable any themes before upgrading firmware.

3: Always enable the exFAT driver when upgrading.

4: Pay attention to the AutoRCM option if you are using ChoidujourNX. Choose wisely."

Now we have to wait to see what response we get from TX, whether it be a new SX OS revision that includes many fixes to these issues or a statement/post addressing these problems. Personally I would recommend that TX temporarily removes the new 2.9 BETA download until these issues are looked into in more detail and a proper revision released that does not negatively impact their user base.

I made this post simply to warn others that may update without knowing this information. Hope I was able to help some.

Today i got black screen after 9.0.0 update attempt, after restarting switch from frozen ChoiDujourNX.
The question is, my switch is not loading in the SX OS Menu after loading using SX PRO Dongle, if i change boot.dat on my SD card to previous version what i were using on 8.1.0 its SX OS beta v2.8 i can get access to menu to roll back my nand or so on, but if i try to load custom firmware i recieve black screen. My switch is still on 8.1.0. SO
Question is if i will turn on original switch FW and update using standart methood to 9.0.0 will it brick my Switch or no? And will it be possible to use CUSTOM SX OS firmware.
I dont care about burning fuses. So i only need working switch with custom FM.

Last edited by s2601d,

Akumara

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I wish i read this before going ahead and trying to update to 9.0.0.

I have a random backup of my emunand files on a hdd and moving them over now hoping it will work.
I thought i did something wrong for awhile atleast glad to know its not my fault!

s2601d

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Latvia

I have a random backup of my emunand files on a hdd and moving them over now hoping it will work.
I thought i did something wrong for awhile atleast glad to know its not my fault!
What the point to roll back Nand?

-snip-

Last edited by x65943,

SaggyBeans

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does someone have a link to SX OS v2.8?

If you go on the TX forums to the "SX OS 'BETA' Product Support" page, there is a sticky post at the top which is a repository of all past SX OS versions.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If you don't want to loose any progress if your backup wasn't done recently, I would try the alternate method of loading into atmosphere and either downgrading back to 8.1.0 and use SX OS 2.8 OR you can just update to 9.0.0 and use SX OS 2.9. My recommendation would be to downgrade back to 8.1.0 for now. TX will be releasing a new version which will include many bug fixes.

s2601d

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Latvia
SaggyBeans
Is it safe to update using Standart Switch firmware updating methood?
Cause my switch is still 8.1.0
And will it allow me to load in to Custom FW

Last edited by s2601d,

SaggyBeans

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SaggyBeans
Is it safe to update using Standart Switch firmware?

Do you mean using the official nintendo servers to do a firmware update? It is possible but I would recommend using Choi 1.0.2 on SX OS 2.8 if you really want to update.. this way you can ensure RCM is maintained and you wont burn your eFuses. If you don't care about your fuses and a possible ban then sure go ahead and use the nin server.

s2601d

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Latvia
Do you mean using the official nintendo servers to do a firmware update? It is possible but I would recommend using Choi 1.0.2 on SX OS 2.8 if you really want to update.. this way you can ensure RCM is maintained and you wont burn your eFuses. If you don't care about your fuses and a possible ban then sure go ahead and use the nin server.

The question is, my switch is not loading in the SX OS Menu after loading using SX PRO Dongle, if i change boot.dat on my SD card to previous version what i were using on 8.1.0 its SX OS beta v2.8 i can get access to menu to roll back my nand or so on, but if i try to load custom firmware i recieve black screen. My switch is still on 8.1.0.
I cant use Choi 1.0.2 cause i can't get in Custom FW of SX OS, i just get black screen when i press Load Custom FW

Last edited by s2601d,

SaggyBeans

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The question is, my switch is not loading in the SX OS Menu after loading using SX PRO Dongle, if i change boot.dat on my SD card to previous version what i were using on 8.1.0 its SX OS beta v2.8 i can get access to menu to roll back my nand or so on, but if i try to load custom firmware i recieve black screen. My switch is still on 8.1.0.
I cant use Choi 1.0.2 cause i can't get in Custom FW of SX OS, i just get black screen when i press Load Custom FW

So my recommendation is to look into getting atmosphere CFW running (IT WILL LOAD) and then you can use ChoiDujourNX version 1.0.2 to downgrade firmware to firmware 8.1.0 at which point SX OS 2.8 should load back properly like before. Another options for you is to install firmware 9.0.0 in atmosphere CFW with Choi 1.0.2 and after this is complete put the SX OS 2.9 boot.bin and load into SX OS 2.9. It's really up to you, I would stay on 8.1.0 until TX provides an update.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Take a look at page #2 of this thread at the top, someone posted instructions they used to get it back up and running. I have not tried this method myself so proceed with caution.

Last edited by SaggyBeans,

SaggyBeans

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i only use sx because of usb hdd if ams would support usbhdd then ill ditch sxos

Are you still able to install over HDD and run games over HDD with the new 2.9 Beta and 9.0.0 firmware or is that something affected as well? (excluding sxci/ custom XCI loading)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol Bun rockin out at 2 :rofl2:
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same tbh
    ♫ Mama hully gully, Papa hully gully, Baby hully gully too:rofl2:
    Oh god, I really am old. lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @SylverReZ, sup Sylv!
    +1
    Anyway, I gotta go to the store. L8er guys. Oops, I better put some clothes on :shy::tpi::rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Sicklyboy, Hey there Sickly.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AncientBoi, Make sure the cops don't see that.
    hazbeans @ hazbeans: hi