Hacking Suggestion Warning: scam around low firmware Switch units

TheStylii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Just wanted to make a thread warning anyone looking for a low firmware Switch.

Some people on eBay are taking the box of a low firmware console (can be told by the serial number) and putting another Switch in its place, leading potential buyers to think it would be on a lower firmware than it is.

So the buyer will take an obvious photo of the serial number on the box, list it as brand new (the Switch doesn't come sealed, and the bag the tablet comes in is already open on one side, easy to fake) so when someone sees this, they will think the firmware will match the serial, and pay extra for it.

Happened to me - the serial was very low (early 1.0.0 console) but then when I booted into it, it had 3.0.2 (and the console had a screen protector on it lol, at least try and hide it) so I could tell something was up.

To avoid this: only buy a console if it is marked as having a low firmware, or consider messaging the buyer first to confirm.

Have a good one. Now if you'll excuse me, the quest continues.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

RichKK

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds like this is just a standard ebay 'not as described' return/refund. What makes you think you were scammed specifically through a serial number lie? Did the console serial you received match the box? Could the seller just have updated their 1.0 console and then decided to sell it as 'new'? Or just bundled their console with another box that looked better to help promote it being 'new', hence the serial?

TheStylii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Sounds like this is just a standard ebay 'not as described' return/refund. What makes you think you were scammed specifically through a serial number lie? Did the console serial you received match the box? Could the seller just have updated their 1.0 console and then decided to sell it as 'new'? Or just bundled their console with another box that looked better to help promote it being 'new', hence the serial?
Yeah it's an easy refund, but that wasn't the point of the post. Just wanted others to know.
The box and the console have the same serial, and the serial would have guaranteed 1.0.0 - but the console was on 3.0.2 and had a screen protector on it, so it obviously wasn't brand new. Another thing is he made sure to show a close-up of the serial in one of the eBay pictures, when usually sellers either cover it, or just don't bother showing it. So he knew what he had, and that it would make people want to buy.

Furoryan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the Switch doesn't come sealed, and the bag the tablet comes in is already open on one side, easy to fake)
I bought 2 switchs from fnac and amazon fr, the first day one and the second later. Both were not sealed and the bags were already open. I don't know if it's the same everywhere, but Nintendo seems to not sealed its products.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the big deal anyway? You got a hackeable firmware and if the switch still works/looks like kind of new, why bother that much?

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
nintendo not sealing their stuff anymore?
weird, all theese years they had theese nintendo logoed ribbons in the games..
did they even sealed console boxes? i remember my 3ds had a circle tape in it..
last time i checked a console in retail was the snes classics, and i got surprised they didn't had a seal of any kind, for a "collectors" item, the fact it can be opened closed and there is no real way to tell, kinda looses it's collectiveness..

Last edited by migles,

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I bought 2 switchs from fnac and amazon fr, the first day one and the second later. Both were not sealed and the bags were already open. I don't know if it's the same everywhere, but Nintendo seems to not sealed its products.
Mine wasn't "sealed" per say. It just had the normal cardboard taps and I bought it on launch day.
But the products had plastic around them.

Reactions: sarkwalvein

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
PS: there is not a mac address sticker in the box or manual or something like they do with phones (they usually have the IMEI in the box)? which you can go into the system settings and compare the codes..

ckylesworld1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it said it was new in box it was a scam/not as described because if it had a screen protector it was definitely not new. However if it said pre owned or used and was in the condition listed it was not a scam.

Last edited by ckylesworld1,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
As long as the seller didn't stated that the Switch is on a specific firmware, this is not a scam. The only thing that would warrant a return is if the seller wrote that the switch is brand new.
If it said it was new in box it was a scam/not as described because if it had a screen protector it was definitely not new. However if it said pre owned or used and was in the condition listed it was not a scam.
Sounds like it was listed as brand new to me. Because otherwise what good would the serial number do to check its firmware? The serial number is only useful if the console is brand new.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
B/c its technically on a low firmware it neutralizes the serial scam. I don't think Ebay will even bother with this kind of case tbh.
But we are still lacking alot of info to what this listing actually said. If it was advertised on a low firmware then its not a scam

Last edited by MasterJ360, , Reason: Can't spell

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you message and ask if it's new, ever been updated, etc. then you're protected by ebay. Assumptions are not covered by ebay.

Good watching out for folks though, I'm sure more folks than would care to admit would assume no swap of console had occurred/new meant untouched. Ebay can be shady, and people intentionally mislabel and hope you won't notice. Ask the questions you need to know, and you'll be protected. No response, no buy.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you message and ask if it's new, ever been updated, etc. then you're protected by ebay. Assumptions are not covered by ebay.

Good watching out for folks though, I'm sure more folks than would care to admit would assume no swap of console had occurred/new meant untouched. Ebay can be shady, and people intentionally mislabel and hope you won't notice. Ask the questions you need to know, and you'll be protected. No response, no buy.
if it was listed as brand new, it's legit assumption

Reactions: osaka35

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.